Thread: I must be old and stupid!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I must be old and stupid!

I had a patient come in today screaming at me because they cant see with the glasses they made in the store around the corner from me. They claim that they are very loyal to me but the store around the corner is closer to their house... :)
    The "Optician" around the corner redid their glasses 3 times and they still can see! And its my fault.....because I put in 2 left multifocal lenses in their glasses, so they cant see now with right and left lenses they made for them....
    I could not resist at looking dumb at the patient and started to ask questions.
    we made glasses for you 3 times in the past 10 years (same design lenses) and you were very happy with them ? Right?
    And they made lenses 3 times in one month and you are still NOT happy with them. Right?

The answer was yes to both.... So they asked me what's wrong, and I could not resist by stating the fact that I made them 3 pairs with 2 left lenses each and the made the glasses with two left hands....

Anyway, told them if they want me to make them right they are always welcome!

2 left lenses = GOOD
    2 left hands = NO GOOD

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Forgot to mention that the patient asked them to make the lenses the same way as I did, but they told them they would loose their license if they did that!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    That is a genuine WTAF moment. I’ve seen plenty of bat sh1t crazy in my optical career. Nothing like this.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's been happening more and more. The other day I was working with a patient when another patient walked in all ticked off complaining that he got his glasses yesterday and there is something wrong with the lenses. Told him I was with someone and will help him as soon as I had a moment and he yelled he wasn't going anywhere until I fixed the problem. What was the problem? He cleaned the lenses like he always did with sears lens cleaner and they were all smeary. When I looked at them, they looked like someone rubbed butter all over them. When he picked up the glasses I gave him a new cleaning cloth so wtf was going on? So right in front of him I took lens cleaner and cleaned them. How do they look now? Fine he said. All I did was clean them. Not sure what he did! Crazy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    It's been happening more and more. The other day I was working with a patient when another patient walked in all ticked off complaining that he got his glasses yesterday and there is something wrong with the lenses. Told him I was with someone and will help him as soon as I had a moment and he yelled he wasn't going anywhere until I fixed the problem. What was the problem? He cleaned the lenses like he always did with sears lens cleaner and they were all smeary. When I looked at them, they looked like someone rubbed butter all over them. When he picked up the glasses I gave him a new cleaning cloth so wtf was going on? So right in front of him I took lens cleaner and cleaned them. How do they look now? Fine he said. All I did was clean them. Not sure what he did! Crazy.
    At least they were the glasses you made..... not the around the corner guy:)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    At least they were the glasses you made..... not the around the corner guy:)
    Are you sure there is no miscommunication going on?

I'd visit them or at least call them to see if what the patient told you was true.....Then I'd.......

Haven't seen you around lately Lenny. Welcome back!!!

And you're not old!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenny, the store around the corner from you must have franchises all over. I think there are a few near me! Am I the only one who gets a patient that strays to another store because it's closer, cheaper, etc? Then the other store calls me and says the patient is struggling with their new glasses. They always want to know what lens design I fit them in? What PD? What seg height? What add? Uhhh, I don't work for you store, do it yourself or send the patient back to me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    ^^^
    First of all, why are they buying their lens cleaning stuff from Sears and I'm shocked there are still Sears locations even open. Ours have been gone for years. Secondly, I wonder if they used one of those wet naps they give you at restaurants when you order ribs.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    ^^^
    First of all, why are they buying their lens cleaning stuff from Sears and I'm shocked there are still Sears locations even open. Ours have been gone for years. Secondly, I wonder if they used one of those wet naps they give you at restaurants when you order ribs.
    Krystle, are you telling me I CAN'T clean my glasses with a wet nap? But it's the same thing!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you, Uncle!
    I lost my OB app on the phone so spend more time on FB... :)
    When I need to complain about age go to OB!!!

There is no miscommunication.... Just a quick look at lenses show that hey are Sola Access lenses, which do not have right and left blanks....

Thread Information