Thread: "Forever" bonding a broken...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Forever" bonding a broken...

New, shall we say, challenging patient.

He's 26 with special needs. Mostly non verbal and a penchant for breaking frames.

New Izod frame with memory metal bridge and spring hinge had the left temple break 3 weeks after being picked up. No doubt from Stretch Armstrong and flex abuse as the bridge paint is already mostly gone.

Is there a way to permanently glue that temple using the spring post inside the hinge? JB Weld? I tried Gorilla glue and that's failed.

Oh- did I mention he's Microencephalopic with a +10.00 sphere OU?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dude, I have the exact same patient, no kidding. With cochlear implants or something to boot. I'm thinking about this line: https://eyeweardesigns.com/collections/knex

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even if you could get a solder inside the spring mechanism (I don't know if anyone does that), it's never going to hold up to that abuse, it'll pop just like the original. I hate spring hinges.

Here's an interesting looking fix that was just featured in Envision magazine: https://www.myspxfix.com/. I'm having trouble swallowing the $30/pair thing though. Probably intended as a consumer fix.

Yes the only solution is extreme frames. The ones you suggested drk look almost identical to a line I have Nano Vista https://www.alternativeeyes.com/catalog/nano-vista. They are next to indestructible, very flexible, the fronts/endpieces/temples are all mix-and-match interchangeable and replaceable, and they come with two kinds of activewear straps. I only started carrying them 6 months ago but I'm very impressed. I think both lines are a better-looking than the venerable Miraflex http://miraflexglass.com/products/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I solder spring hinges quite often. Drill into the top of the "box" where the spring is located and flow solder into the hole. You will need to round off the barrel on the front to allow the temple to close.

Spring hinges...weren't they suppose to be a good thing?!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    YES! Nano Vista. I found those then lost them. You can get a very small eye size with them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I solder spring hinges quite often. Drill into the top of the "box" where the spring is located and flow solder into the hole. You will need to round off the barrel on the front to allow the temple to close.

Spring hinges...weren't they suppose to be a good thing?!
    I still need to check George Clooney's doppelgänger's site suggestion but meanwhile:

I might try this but suspect Dan's experience will be true. Besides- the hinge piece will now wind up being bent open and so I'll be fatiguing that to the breaking point sooner rather than later.

His mother originally came to me hoping to put him into an Ovvu frame which I considered then realized that if for no other reason (and other reasons are numerous!) the almost sharp temple end piece would keep me up at night thinking "what if".

He's been wearing (you can't make this up) a way too large Airwear frame that I trimmed and muscled into a fit that almost stays up but I have a feeling since he will not wear a strap I really need to convince mom he needs to live with his lack of vision.

Or how about a +5.00 that I fit way down his nose where he is used to wearing frames???

Occupation
    Optometrist

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I still need to check George Clooney's doppelgänger's site suggestion but meanwhile:

I might try this but suspect Dan's experience will be true. Besides- the hinge piece will now wind up being bent open and so I'll be fatiguing that to the breaking point sooner rather than later.

His mother originally came to me hoping to put him into an Ovvu frame which I considered then realized that if for no other reason (and other reasons are numerous!) the almost sharp temple end piece would keep me up at night thinking "what if".

He's been wearing (you can't make this up) a way too large Airwear frame that I trimmed and muscled into a fit that almost stays up but I have a feeling since he will not wear a strap I really need to convince mom he needs to live with his lack of vision.

Or how about a +5.00 that I fit way down his nose where he is used to wearing frames???
    Like I said I've done it many times, they hold up very well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Those look like exact copies of Nano Vista (or nano is the copy, or they both copied something else). There must be one factory in China that makes them and will just sell them to anybody with any branding.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Even if you could get a solder inside the spring mechanism (I don't know if anyone does that), it's never going to hold up to that abuse, it'll pop just like the original. I hate spring hinges.

Here's an interesting looking fix that was just featured in Envision magazine: https://www.myspxfix.com/. I'm having trouble swallowing the $30/pair thing though. Probably intended as a consumer fix.

Yes the only solution is extreme frames. The ones you suggested drk look almost identical to a line I have Nano Vista https://www.alternativeeyes.com/catalog/nano-vista. They are next to indestructible, very flexible, the fronts/endpieces/temples are all mix-and-match interchangeable and replaceable, and they come with two kinds of activewear straps. I only started carrying them 6 months ago but I'm very impressed. I think both lines are a better-looking than the venerable Miraflex http://miraflexglass.com/products/

One MILLION percent suggest getting Nanos. They are by far the best kids line, AND they have lifetime warranties. So even if something does happen, they got you covered. Lots of colors. They've been expanding into larger sizes too. Have them in NC and brought them into GA when I got there. And price point is great all around. And if you get some of the itty bitty kids ones, they come with these adorable bunny cases. So freakin' cute. Ahem. So anyway. Yes. Nanos. We style a lot of our special needs patients with them when we can.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do the Nanos come in adult sizes? I have a patient (who is supposedly neurotypical) who sends his poor long suffering mother in at least once a month to replace broken frames. The last time he "got in a bar fight." I feel awful taking his mom's money when he's supposedly a functioning adult. Doubt he'd wear the strap on frames though.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    Do the Nanos come in adult sizes? I have a patient (who is supposedly neurotypical) who sends his poor long suffering mother in at least once a month to replace broken frames. The last time he "got in a bar fight." I feel awful taking his mom's money when he's supposedly a functioning adult. Doubt he'd wear the strap on frames though.
    Pssst...If mom is involved after bar fights he's not a functioning adult;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ^^^^ My thoughts exactly.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Krystle, this is your chance to be a hero! Make him wear a bright pink Nanos! After he gets repeatedly slapped around in bars enough, he’ll stop frequenting them AND have durable eye wear! Win, win!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They have a small adult-sized line with the same construction https://www.alternativeeyes.com/catalog/dosuno

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am so happy I found this thread! I also have an adult patient with these kinds of needs as well, I'm going to check out Dos Uno as well as Nano Vista

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unfortunately not like huge adult sizes. They do have low 50s. You should get him one of the glow in the dark ones.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    They have a small adult-sized line with the same construction https://www.alternativeeyes.com/catalog/dosuno

These are awesome, I wish they had a larger selection. And no straight backs. But they're certainly better than nothing

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am trying to bring Nano's into my office ever since I saw a kid with them. I can't get ahold of the company though. =/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had always used miraflex before they went out of business. Apparently one of the guys at miraflex is trying to restart the company as Flex Frames.

https://www.flexframes.net/

Looks like they have added a few new lines to what they offered before. The price point was nice for miraflex, will see what it is for this new company. I hope they continue with the all the color options they had before.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tomato Eyewear. They make glasses for special needs and kids. Works for us. Not attractive necessarily

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    I am trying to bring Nano's into my office ever since I saw a kid with them. I can't get ahold of the company though. =/
    I'll shoot you a message and let the VP know you're wanting to bring the line in. Get you guys connected and he'll get you fixed up :)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IIxIPariahIxII View Post
    I'll shoot you a message and let the VP know you're wanting to bring the line in. Get you guys connected and he'll get you fixed up :)
    Thank you!!!

Thread Information