Thread: Glacier Expression AR...to increase signal to noises ratio ???

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Glacier Expression AR...to increase signal to noises ratio ???

New Shameer AR - GLACIER EXPRESSION - claims to improve your whole life with its off the charts "signal to noise" ratio..... seems like a bunch of hooey, but I will be open-minded and am willing to be proved wrong. I understand the law of diminishing returns. If, say transmittance increases from 98% to 99.5% that is a 300% reduction in glare, but clearly (pun intended) most people won't actually be able to notice any difference. Is this the "science" that is being extrapolated in the marketing to make this seem to be the best thing since sliced bread? Anyone have any real world feedback?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I read it, once. Let's read it again, together.

Boost Signal/Reduce Noise

We inherently use our whole bodies when communicating face to face. We naturally interpret body language and posture, we speak with our hands, and we use expressive facial gestures. In fact, we intrinsically use our entire faces to convey meaning, using a system of very complex and oftentimes subtle visual queues. Shamir recognizes this natural gift and how an emergent trend in digital communications has necessarily shifted this whole-body approach to one that must focus and rely on our faces, and especially our eyes, on our screens.

Enjoy Comfortable Vision With Minimal Visual Noise

​Shamir Glacier Expression™ coating lowers visual noise and increases the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) which indicates how clearly you are able to see versus the visual noise around you.

An increase in SNR can help reduce fatigue and eye strain and provide a more comfortable visual experience throughout the day.
    And when people can see the real you, you know you look better!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's soooo muuuccch marketing-crap-speak.

It's probably a better AR coating.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    “Signal to noise ratio” …The dude in advertising that came up with that just comped it from guitarist talking and tweaking amps..These idiots come up with regurgitated stuff from some other, unrelated product, and try to re-brand the meaning of “the phrase “.
    Last edited by optical24/7; 04-13-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    “Signal to noise ratio” …The dude in advertising that came up with that just comped it from guitarist talking and tweaking amps..These idiots come up with regurgitated stuff from some other, unrelated product, and try to re-brand the meaning of “the phrase “.
    This is just sad. I’m an audiophile. S/N is the holy grail for audio. Components. Bass traps. Near field reflection control. Tuning. Speaker placement. I employ a 1/3 octave spectrum analyzer when tweaking my system.
    Vision S/N? MEH. You are absolutely correct re regurgitated marketing cr@p.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait. We can remarket this for musicians! Stay focused on YOUR sound while your idiot bassist makes gurgling noises with his slap bass. ALL FROM YOUR EYEGLASS LENSES!

I understand what they're trying to accomplish, but I'm not sure that can be achieved through your AR coating. So yeah. Aaaaaaaaand we're moving lol

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    If, say transmittance increases from 98% to 99.5% that is a 300% reduction in glare, but clearly (pun intended) most people won't actually be able to notice any difference.
    I take it to be Shamir's formulation of a Crizal Sapphire equivalent: lowest 0.5% reflectance, and blue-hued to shift reflection away from prime visual spectrum. True, few people will notice the difference, because existing good ARs with 1-2% reflectance already perform so well. However, side-by-side Sapphire certainly has milder reflection than any traditional yellow/green AR, including Avance/Rock. My Shamir rep dropped by my office yesterday touting the wonders of Expression with zero reflection, while I watched the reflections on his glasses. It has zero reflection as much as advanced progressives have zero distortion: not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This was already "done" about 20 years ago. Was that Shamir back then too? I forget the brand name, but they claimed this exact same thing then...the "clearest" lens ever made, "no" residual reflex color, and so free of reflections that it bent the very laws of spacetime and gravitation!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I finally got a hold of the advertising head that came up with this. He said he presented multiple ideas to the board of directors, but they settled on the above. I asked about the ones they rejected…..

Instead of Camel Cigarettes phrase, “ I’d walk a mile for a camel”,,,,” I’d walk a mile for Glacier “.

Changed M&M’s, “ Melts in your mouth, not your hands”,,,,,,”Melts on your dash, not on your face”.

John Deere’s, “Nothing runs like a Deere”,,,,,” Nothing runs like our coatings”.

Wheaties, “ Breakfast of champions “,,,,,,” AR of chumps”.

And his personal favorite, for all the the folks out there that like to clean their lenses with their tongue,

KFC’s “ Finger lickin’ good”,,,,,” Lens lickin’ good “.

I agreed with him about that last one and thanked him for his time…

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Well, I finally got a hold of the advertising head that came up with this. He said he presented multiple ideas to the board of directors, but they settled on the above. I asked about the ones they rejected…..

Instead of Camel Cigarettes phrase, “ I’d walk a mile for a camel”,,,,” I’d walk a mile for Glacier “.

Changed M&M’s, “ Melts in your mouth, not your hands”,,,,,,”Melts on your dash, not on your face”.

John Deere’s, “Nothing runs like a Deere”,,,,,” Nothing runs like our coatings”.

Wheaties, “ Breakfast of champions “,,,,,,” AR of chumps”.

And his personal favorite, for all the the folks out there that like to clean their lenses with their tongue,

KFC’s “ Finger lickin’ good”,,,,,” Lens lickin’ good “.

I agreed with him about that last one and thanked him for his time…
    BWAHAHAHA!

(But for REALS on that last one though! People be GROSS yo!)

Thread Information