Thread: Prostate Cancer

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Prostate Cancer

I thought I'd leave a quick note to let everyone know that I have been dealing with prostate cancer. I was diagnosed last summer and after a lot of investigation, my wife and I chose to for me tohave the Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy done at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. I had the surgery done on March 24th and am now in rehabilitation and recovery mode.

A few things about this:

1. The surgery went extremely well and they were able to spare both nerve bundles. The pathology report came in about a week later and they found that the cancer was confined to the interior of the prostate and had not reached the walls or pelvic lymph nodes. This means that I should recover completely with no loss of function.

2. I am doing remarkably well. I went in for the post-op checkup two weeks after surgery and they told me that I am doing much better than many men do after three months. I have already regained continence for the most part and am well on the way of restoring full sexual function.

3. One of the first things my wife noticed and was upset about was the way I was being treated by the original Doctors and staff that diagnosed me. She was appalled by the lack of information coming from the Doctors and the way they wanted me to rush into treatment with discussing all the options fully. With this in mind, my wife put together a document about Prostate Cancer with all the information she could find - most of which was never provided by the original Doctors and facilities I went to (with the exception of the Mayo Clinic which I will get to.) . If you or anyone you know is dealing with this issue here is the document: med prostate cancer general information.docx

4. The Mayo Clinic is by far the best medical facility we have ever dealt with. There system is extremely efficient and the staff and Doctors are all exceptional. I highly recommend them.

Final note: This is, and was, a very scary issue to deal with. The lack if care and information from medical 'professionals' is astounding. It pays to do your own research and talk to a lot of people.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,
    I am sorry you had to go through this but pleased to hear you had positive outcomes! The information you have provided here is important, and you offer sound advice.........it does pay to conduct some research on medical conditions and seek the advice of others you know who may be helpful. I will be praying for a speedy and complete recovery.

Thanks for sharing this with us here on Optiboard. You are important to us all!

Warren
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 04-10-2022 at 04:01 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The golden years.

Finding a good physician is analogous to striking gold, and don't let them retire when you do.

Cheers on the quick rehab, hoping you have a nice long stretch of good health going forward.

Robert
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Steve,
    I am sorry you had to go through this but pleased to hear you had positive outcomes! The information you have provided here is important, and you offer sound advice.........it does pay to conduct some research on medical conditions and seek the advice of others you know who may be helpful. I will be praying for a speedy and complete recovery.

Thanks for sharing this with us here on Optiboard. You are important to us all!

Warren
    Gigantic +1 To you Steve. Warren expressed what most all of us feel. Good luck!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Glad you're OK, Steve.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    So many hug Steve I'm glad for you and thanks for your job

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hey Steve,
    So happy that you are doing so well after surgery. I truly believe attitude is as important as the medical care and the support of our loved ones and friends.
    Get and stay healthy!
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulation's on your successful treatment Steve. It great to hear a success story like yours.
    I had two step brothers, not biological, one older and one younger, we grew up together since early grade school. Lost both of them to prostate cancer about 10 years ago.
    I understand that it is not often that one dies of prostate cancer so I was shocked to lose two brothers of it.
    One other thing I do when I go in for any procedure with a Dr, I take time to research their background on the states medical site that they are licensed to practice in.
    It just makes me more comfortable knowing that I have done due diligence trying to protect myself. Life happens you know so its always best to protect yourself....

Chris

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh boy - Steve, really glad to hear about your early diagnosis, and positive (and rapid) recovery! Thank you for sharing your experience and the info as well. As more of us move into that stage of our lives with fewer years ahead than behind, these scenarios become increasingly important to understand, and this is very helpful to allow more of us to be more involved and informed about our own health care. Again, sincere thanks, and best wishes for everything to continue on your current trajectory!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So glad to hear you're recovering well Steve. We appreciate you sharing with us. Take it easy!

OptiBoard Professional brucekrymow's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Bless you & Thank you!

Optivision, Inc.
    LMS Lab Software
    Remote Tracing/Edging

602.277.2614 x2

www.optivision.com
    www.digitaltrace.net
    bruce@optivision.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the update and certainly wish you all the best and a complete recovery.

Thread Information