Thread: Ice Tech lab gone? Any other labs doing similar thinning?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ice Tech lab gone? Any other labs doing similar thinning?

I'm sure the collective here remembers the "digital surfaced zone thinning and blending" that Ice Tech used to do with high thickness and/or high wrap jobs. It looks like they're now long gone, but just wondering if anyone knows of current labs that are doing anything similar? Asked with my current lab and they said they could try to do a roll on those corners, but said it wouldn't look great.

I've got a high cyl pt, in an Oakley Flak 2.0, and his cyl happens to hit right at the inferior edges of the lens, and are now hitting his cheeks. My initial thought was that I could just hop on the handstone and take some of the thickness out of those bottom corners, but the final cosmetics won't look super hot of course (even though it wouldn't be really visible except to my pt from the inside).

Anyway - thought I'd check in with the crew. Any thoughts? TIA!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Have you considered the Blue Roll technique?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenticularization!

Chadwick Optical, Quest Optical, Epic Labs, Laramy-K, Bad A$s are just a few.

P.S I know I owe you a call! I suck

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A lab that runs IOT lenses should be able to "lenticularize" lenses for you. There are 2 types they have. 1 is to pick a bowl size 35mm, 45mm ,50 mm etc. whatever you want. The other is and inset from the frame shape. The lenticular zone follows the edge of the frame or lens at a predefined distance around the circumference. This is obviously visible from the front so best for sunglasses and a mirror makes it invisible. But nothing beats a good blue-roll.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't think lenticular will work for this pt/job the way he wants [for numerous reasons], hence why I was primarily interested in blended zone thinning. I remember the term, but my old, ignorant self is drawing a blank on a blue roll. Someone take pity on me and refresh my geriatric brain? :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not intimately familiar with how Ice-tech made their lenses but from what I read it was just a blended lenticular, maybe with a more customized layout. I don't know how you would get "blended zone thinning" without it looking like, or being identical to, a blended lenticular. I'm sure Quest in FL could do it but it's going to cost you. Obviously this isn't going to work for a progressive as you will be FUBARing the optics in the blended area.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A tiny local lab here in Denver does lenticularization. https://www.smartod.com/. They licenses the edging technology from https://thintechlens.com/software-design/. I've ordered a few and they turn out very nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I'm not intimately familiar with how Ice-tech made their lenses but from what I read it was just a blended lenticular, maybe with a more customized layout. I don't know how you would get "blended zone thinning" without it looking like, or being identical to, a blended lenticular. I'm sure Quest in FL could do it but it's going to cost you. Obviously this isn't going to work for a progressive as you will be FUBARing the optics in the blended area.
    Just as described, the guys at Ice were able to selectively flatten a speciffic area of a lens, unlike a standard circumfrential leticularization. In this case, we're hoping to only focus on one specific corner to thin is all.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Don't think lenticular will work for this pt/job the way he wants [for numerous reasons], hence why I was primarily interested in blended zone thinning. I remember the term, but my old, ignorant self is drawing a blank on a blue roll. Someone take pity on me and refresh my geriatric brain? :)
    I used to get some lenses from Ice-tech. They used lenticularization.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they did, they were the *only* lab I've ever used that allowed us to specify only one very specific corner or area of a lens so precisely.

So...about that blue roll...?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As an additional tidbit, I've now called three of our regular labs, and none are telling me they can do lenticular on a polar blank. (Or zone thinning.) So that seems out as a possibility regardless. *sigh*

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    As an additional tidbit, I've now called three of our regular labs, and none are telling me they can do lenticular on a polar blank. (Or zone thinning.) So that seems out as a possibility regardless. *sigh*
    I've ordered a few from Cherry Optical in Wisconsin.

Thread Information