Thread: Shamir Glacier plus Metaform

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shamir Glacier plus Metaform

Are there any lab people that know this product and can decipher this into plain English? There isn't a whole lot available on the website other than the typical marketing buzzwords and a claim of 20% thinner and lighter compared to "regular lenses" and thinner and lighter for the same index. The only 20% I can see is if they are comparing a 1.2 center thickness to a 1.5 center thickness, which is some real high level marketing BS.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Are there any lab people that know this product and can decipher this into plain English? There isn't a whole lot available on the website other than the typical marketing buzzwords and a claim of 20% thinner and lighter compared to "regular lenses" and thinner and lighter for the same index. The only 20% I can see is if they are comparing a 1.2 center thickness to a 1.5 center thickness, which is some real high level marketing BS.
    You're correct. From my chats with my Shamir Rep and talking to Lab folks, it's only designed to start with a thinner center. It is changing nothing of the Refractive Index. So I had an excellent experiment for a patient. She got two pair, Relax 8, in similar sized frames - RX : OD -10.50 sph/ OS -9.75 sph PD 29.5/31.0
    NON Metaform Job Relax 8 in 1.74, 47/16 CT @1.5, ET 6.0/ 5.2
    The Metaform Job Relax 8 in 1.74, 49/16 CT @ 1.1 OU, ET 5.9 / 5.5 - Granted this is the large of the two frames. So compensating for the 2mm extra edge I got the thickness @ 47mm - ET 5.5 / 5.0 ~
    So we improved ~0.5 mm which makes sense since the CT was 0.4mm thinner. So for this patient we saw >10% thinner lenses.
    So I will NOT be promoting as a thinner option because I don't want to set false expectations. I like that it "can" make turn around time faster, I didn't have any difference.

... Go figure we get excited about something that can help our high RX patients but it doesn't fulfill and has an RX limit of -11.00 with minimal cyl correction
    - Mindy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    good luck with those 1.1 thick 1.74 lenses. do those come pre-crazed from the lab or is that something we need to do in finishing?!!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    good luck with those 1.1 thick 1.74 lenses. do those come pre-crazed from the lab or is that something we need to do in finishing?!!
    At dispensing be sure to advise the patient not to pinch the center of the lens too tightly while cleaning!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Metaform" is what patients say when they are trying to tell us they take metformin for their diabetes.
    Krystle

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Can you help me in getting meta form lenses, as its not available currently in our country

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Tough luck with the Metaform lens hunt in India, huh? Maybe try hitting up Shamir directly or a big optical retailer. Sometimes they've got ways to special order stuff. Also, throwing a shoutout in online optical forums could turn up some leads. Fingers crossed you find those lenses!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ever wonder why AR treated, High Index single vision stock lenses are always thinner than your lab can grind them? It's a technology used in manufacturing that was once referred to as a "cushion coat." It's only available at the manufacturer level, not wholesale lab level, and is a glue-like substance that's applied to the back surface of a 1.0 CT lens that enables a lens to pass FDA Regulated drop ball testing when it may otherwise not pass. Just like the layer found in glass windshields which prevents them from shattering into a billion pieces like the side window does, that "cushion coat" holds everything together on impact. It's my understanding that Metaform is something along those lines. As far as I know, Shamir is the first manufacturer to apply this technology to lenses that are surfaced in their lab (as opposed to stock lenses, which are cast that thin). Everything that's been said is correct; the value of "20% thinner than regular high index" really comes down to the eye of the beholder and how much of their hard-earned cash they parted with to pay for it.
    "No one can help everyone,
    but everyone can help someone."
    -- Anonymous

Thread Information