Thread: Relocating to Texas

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Relocating to Texas

Just wondering what the job market is like for Opticians in Texas, specifically Plano and surrounding areas. My wife's company is relocating her to Plano. I have 20 plus years as and optician, the last 8 as an office/optical manager. I have experience running an in practice finish lab as well, I did that for about 6 years before coming to my current position. Not really looking to deal with a chain optical, would prefer private practice. This is more of a research post since the earliest we would be moving will probably be middle to end of June 2022. I'm coming from Iowa which is NOT a licensing state, I have had my ABO certification but let it expire due to a lack of support from my employer regarding certification. I plan on retesting and getting it back before I start my job search in earnest. Thanks in advance for feedback.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jobs are plentiful in Texas. No licensure, ABO won’t matter to many doctors. ( I would still get it, just another thing to stand out in an interview). I recommend look for private MD practices. Better pay and hours. Houston area pays better than the Dallas area, but you should have no problem getting 40-50k per year.

I lived in Dallas for about 3 years…Just a couple of random facts on where you’re moving:

They call Chicago the “Windy City”..That title should go to Dallas…

Good your from Iowa, you’ve learned to drive on ice…But nobody in Dallas has..Watch out!..

You’ll meet some of the nicest, friendliest folks in Dallas….As long as they ain’t transplants…(no offense).

You’ll get to find out what real Mexican food tastes like!

And the best public golf courses in the state. Good luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't thought of working for a private MD, most of the MD's in Iowa don't have opticals. I'll definitely look into that. Oh I know about the Mexican food! Looking forward to it!. The couple times we have been to Dallas so far we have found the people very friendly. I'm looking forward to not dealing with the type of winter weather we have here, of course I know the trade off will be the summer weather. lol

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you considered asking a frame rep or two to help?

They will probably know a colleague in that area who knows accounts where you would be a good fit.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, I have spoken with several of our reps. I'm planning on leveraging all networking connections I can! I'm just waiting for our official transfer dates to start looking.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by iaxbbcp View Post
    Yes, I have spoken with several of our reps. I'm planning on leveraging all networking connections I can! I'm just waiting for our official transfer dates to start looking.
    PM Me. I lived in Dallas for a year and met a bunch of people. I may be able to help or point you in some direction, I just don't have much time right now. I do have to say that nobody gives a damn what you know about optical, practically zero. Prove to them that you can sell ice cubes to eskimo's and you're in.
    Fourteen of my family members (including: aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, grandparents...and a great uncle) are, or have been in optical and...that's just crazytown at Christmas

Thread Information