Thread: 2022 Frame Trends - What's Hot?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

2022 Frame Trends - What's Hot?

We've got a lot of appointments with frame reps coming up, so I thought it would be fun to get a feel for what's selling, and what the trends are for frames right now.

I'll start. Our demographic is mostly older/senior folks. The older women have been asking for frames in rose gold pretty often. I only have one or two to show them, so I am definitely keeping an eye out for that.

The younger crowd (few and far between for us so take this with a grain of salt) seems to be into big zyl frames again. We have actually sold some of the big plastic frames that are usually more for older ladies to teenagers. Like the Mike Myers "Coffee Talk" skit glasses. They're coming back, whether you like it or not. (I also sell vintage clothing and accessories on the side and I have sold two of the original 80s ones in my shop for about $40 each. I pick them up at estate sales.)

What have you all noticed?
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Large frames seem to be popular. Crystal zyl frames sell very well, too. I also have some big vintage frames for sale, and while they aren't my best sellers, they do sell.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think we're seeing "fun" glasses being a trend. By that I mean that there's a strong sense of eye wear as fashion out there.

I think the crystal wave has come for about a year at least, and we may be on the downswing of that. But there's a lot of translucent light colors that are maybe piggybacking off that trend.

I think retro (but not small) metal frames are going to continue to grow. It's more preppy than retro? I think it's kind of like "thin metal in interesting geometric shapes" and like you said, don't sleep on the copper/rose gold or other metallics.

For younger guys we're seeing a lot of round-ish shapes being popular.

What's out? Thick, heavy, black, rectangular geek look. That's too old a vibe. (And yet, I'm sensing a little thick love out there in a very small subset.) There are still those that are "standards" that don't like change and grew up in that style.

I'm personally in to larger, thinner, lighter, and more colorful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Retro and vintage has held pretty strong. We have a large demographic, and see a lot of patients in tech and bio-tech, plus a couple of game developers. Bold and loud is starting to trickle up (I think this is more in response to the 2 year pandemic, and people are really wanting to make a statement), I'm noticing a trend away from the thinner acetates as far as being vocalized. Rose and blush tortoises are on the rise. The rounder shapes are going away, but true round and oval are staying in style. Have seen more teens going into the round styles (more the vintage trend). Seeing far less metal frames moving. Tortoise is less trendy, while black has stayed strong. For colors, reds (even brighter reds), colorful greens, soft blues, and anything in crystal.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    The younger crowd (few and far between for us so take this with a grain of salt) seems to be into big zyl frames again. We have actually sold some of the big plastic frames that are usually more for older ladies to teenagers. Like the Mike Myers "Coffee Talk" skit glasses. They're coming back, whether you like it or not. (I also sell vintage clothing and accessories on the side and I have sold two of the original 80s ones in my shop for about $40 each. I pick them up at estate sales.)

They'll be asking for those "new" drop temple frames soon as their favorite ista/tiktoker wears one. Probably in a blue rose gradient. The younger crowd(thankfully not my demo) is always going to go after trends. Here today, gone tomorrow. At far as stylistic changes in the industry, lots of geometric shapes, a lot more metal frames.
    Last edited by Kwill212; 01-12-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good take, Pariah

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ronsir, round, vintage in thin metal and thick acetates. Translucent colors, not quite clear, but colorful. Bold two tones, not a fade.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    https://lsc-pagepro.mydigitalpublica...ver=html5&p=44

For whatever its worth:

According to Invision:

Top Opthalmic frames in 2021
    1) Rayban
    2) Oakley
    3) Kate Spade
    4) Tom Ford