Thread: Side shields ? or other solution for Clubmaster?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Side shields ? or other solution for Clubmaster?

Oh my. Patient has had a small Clubmaster ophthalmic round frame for a few years, and decided recently she must have another one as an Rx sun. Rx basically +0.25 +3.00 add ou. We made dark polarized lenses for patient. Comes back a couple of months later, complaining that the sun glare is very intense and she is not happy. I ask to see the plano suns she had been using which "work much better" for sun glare. They are not polarized and the lenses are not quite as dark, but they are a high wrap which seals out nearly all sun. I explained that although her lenses are filtering out glare, lots of sun is reaching her eyes on the sides of the lenses, causing glare. I think she understands, and she is the one that insisted on this style, but she is still upset because she "paid a fortune for these sunglasses." She asked if there was a way to adapt the Clubmasters to provide sun protection on the side, and I am thinking maybe there is some kind of generic side-shield that may work...anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    Oh my. Patient has had a small Clubmaster ophthalmic round frame for a few years, and decided recently she must have another one as an Rx sun. Rx basically +0.25 +3.00 add ou. We made dark polarized lenses for patient. Comes back a couple of months later, complaining that the sun glare is very intense and she is not happy. I ask to see the plano suns she had been using which "work much better" for sun glare. They are not polarized and the lenses are not quite as dark, but they are a high wrap which seals out nearly all sun. I explained that although her lenses are filtering out glare, lots of sun is reaching her eyes on the sides of the lenses, causing glare. I think she understands, and she is the one that insisted on this style, but she is still upset because she "paid a fortune for these sunglasses." She asked if there was a way to adapt the Clubmasters to provide sun protection on the side, and I am thinking maybe there is some kind of generic side-shield that may work...anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    Honestly, her best bet is to look for a leather sideshield. I know of a few who custom make on Etsy/websites, and Amazon has a bunch of generic ones. Anything plastic would run the chance of damaging the frame

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    P.S. If she gets the right one, they'll look pretty nice to boot.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you do a backside A/R coat on the lenses?

Thread Information