Thread: Virtual reality lens inserts for Valve Index

Occupation
    Optometrist

Virtual reality lens inserts for Valve Index

I've got a patient that's a -3.25 OU wanting Rx inserts for his Valve Index VR headset. I'm guessing this is just a standard lens with AR edged into the semi-round inserts that he has. Does anyone know if there's anything else special about doing this? I read that the VR world is projected about 2 meters in front of you so I'm guessing I could weaken the power to a -2.75 but is this necessary?

I'm also guessing it just gets blocked on center since the user can adjust the PD of the headset.

Thanks!
    -Steve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    I've got a patient that's a -3.25 OU wanting Rx inserts for his Valve Index VR headset. I'm guessing this is just a standard lens with AR edged into the semi-round inserts that he has. Does anyone know if there's anything else special about doing this? I read that the VR world is projected about 2 meters in front of you so I'm guessing I could weaken the power to a -2.75 but is this necessary?

I'm also guessing it just gets blocked on center since the user can adjust the PD of the headset.

Thanks!
    I have a buddy who works for Epic Games, he had me do one for his headsets as he was a VR designer for awhile. You really don't need to alter the script at all. Once the inserts go in, they sit close enough that there isn't enough distance to change. It presses in a good bit with the headset strapped on. I will say, having edged the lenses myself. Tracing for it is a little weird. Gotta trace it backwards, and then flip them on the edger. Now, having my own VR set up, the projection you don't need to adjust for. Keep it the normal prescription. The brain sorts the distance out and the regular script works better. (I tested it both ways and without.) If you have someone you are not sure will adjust to the projection, then try the bump down. But otherwise you should be fine. And you should fit the insert on them with their normal PDs. Don't center it. The headset will adjust but it'll adjust as if it were normal. His inserts were for the Index as well, but same goes for any of them.

Thread Information