Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tinted Lenses post Brain Injury

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really think the fluorescent thing is real, if you are walking the aisles of WalMart or Costco. I think with LEDs in homes and offices, we may be on the verge of eradicating this horrible health hazard :).

What about "refresh rate" (or whatever I'm trying to say) on LED screens for computers/laptops/phones? I doubt it's "flickery" enough to cause trouble.[/QUOTE]

I believe the refresh rate on modern monitors, especially those geared towards gaming, are great enough to reduce this to be a non factor. But I'm sure if we look hard enough, it probably has an affect elsewhere

Occupation
    Optometrist

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I don't really have a dog in this fight. But it always raised red flags for me when a proprietary thing is recommended by, sold by, and has efficacy claimed by the same group, company, or person. Oh and the proprietary product costs 3-4 times more than the standard one....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I don't really have a dog in this fight. But it always raised red flags for me when a proprietary thing is recommended by, sold by, and has efficacy claimed by the same group, company, or person. Oh and the proprietary product costs 3-4 times more than the standard one....
    I'd say a very large grain of salt would be prudent. Moran (they're just up the road from me here) has a long history of bold claims around visual therapeutics - always at a premium, and very often such as can "only be fit properly by their ophthalmologists". So far at least, none of the other private OD/MD offices in the greater metro area have rushed to offer their latest and greatest. It was the same for FL-41 in the early 90s too of course.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, let's get the players straight:
    1. BPI (the 50% absorbtion rusty rosers). The original FL-41?
    2. Moran Eye Center (Utah) (the pinky-purpleys that can be light, medium, and dark (see the demo lenses on the keychain...berry nice!) but they call it FL-41, too.
    3. The guy who founded Axon Optics who works at the Moran Eye Center (and sells the pinky-purpley FL-41 in plano eye wear, and disses the rusty rose version as ugly)
    4. Live Eyewear (California), who enter the market with a boysenberry hue with two densities.

So...there's an "Axon tint FL-41" and "rusty rose BPI FL-41" and "boysenberry". Completely straightforward.
    Last edited by drk; 12-14-2021 at 05:24 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Aaaannnnddddd nowwwww: https://www.theraspecs.com/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep. Even the "experts" agree on nothing. This was the great blue light scare, before "dangerous" blue light was even invented by the jr member of the marketing team.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, let's get the players straight:
    1. BPI (the 50% absorbtion rusty rosers). The original FL-41?
    2. Moran Eye Center (Utah) (the pinky-purpleys that can be light, medium, and dark (see the demo lenses on the keychain...berry nice!) but they call it FL-41, too.
    3. The guy who founded Axon Optics who works at the Moran Eye Center (and sells the pinky-purpley FL-41 in plano eye wear, and disses the rusty rose version as ugly)
    4. Live Eyewear (California), who enter the market with a boysenberry hue with two densities.

So...there's an "Axon tint FL-41" and "rusty rose BPI FL-41" and "boysenberry". Completely straightforward.

And the other players, ODs and MDs who randomly just write FL-41 on an RX with absolutely no other information or instructions of what they want. No explanation to the patients. They just expect me to do if for them. I send those patients back to the prescriber and wont fill them. Not worth the headache.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You are too cranky. Now you know more than 99.9% of eye care professionals. Use the knowledge!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Yep. Even the "experts" agree on nothing. This was the great blue light scare, before "dangerous" blue light was even invented by the jr member of the marketing team.
    Hey, now WE'RE the experts.

I'm thinking now, even more than before...here's the stripped-down straight poop:

"eliminate 50% of the middle of the spectrum"

What do you think?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, now WE'RE the experts.

I'm thinking now, even more than before...here's the stripped-down straight poop:

"eliminate 50% of the middle of the spectrum"

What do you think?
    It's just crazy enough to work!

Although, now that you've revealed your plans, I'm going to rush to market with my *own* lens that blocks a different, but in all ways better, portion of the spectrum. And also 10% more of it too. I won't tell you what portion that is, but it's ok. It's "different" and "better", and "more" so people will clamor for it. Sorry to put you out of business so quickly Doc, but that's the free market for ya.

Thread Information