Thread: Cheaters

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cheaters

Best place to purchase cheaters in bulk? Hilco and Cal Optics are a bit pricey. I have ordered Modern plastic II and cr39 and made my own, it's les expensive, but just curious if there is another option.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dollar Store and I'm only half kidding.

Great for parts!

What do you sell them for? I had a collection for many years made from carbon graphite that I sold for $20 usually for over CL wear.

I suspect Morton Associates sold them from his garage but I can no longer reach Elliot and generally just send patients to a CVS with instruction on how to find their best preferred power. We keep a handful from Hilco on display for $30.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Dollar Store and I'm only half kidding.

Great for parts!

What do you sell them for? I had a collection for many years made from carbon graphite that I sold for $20 usually for over CL wear.

I suspect Morton Associates sold them from his garage but I can no longer reach Elliot and generally just send patients to a CVS with instruction on how to find their best preferred power. We keep a handful from Hilco on display for $30.
    We sell for $25.00, about double mark up. I usually refer to Dollar store as you seem to be able to get 10 for like $2.00....lol
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Ding, ding ding. If you are going to go cheap, go all out and get as much margin as you can.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate ordering readers. How to know what to order or how many to order? I always end up getting stuck with a bunch of all one power or all women's frames when I need men's etc. I was hoping to find cheap so it wouldn't be a big deal if we got stuck with them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Just ordered some, averaged out to about $3.00 per set including shipping. Thanks for the info.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    I have ordered Modern plastic II and cr39 and made my own, it's less expensive
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I hate ordering readers. How to know what to order or how many to order? I always end up getting stuck with a bunch of all one power or all women's frames when I need men's etc.
    Yup I've always hated the random grab bag of leftovers you have with premade readers, so I stopped selling them years ago too. If people just want cheap, I tell them to go anywhere or Amazon. But if they want better I do edged in house custom readers. I have CR-39 plus spheres from +0.25 to +4.00, and I make lenses on the spot free with a frame purchase. Not only are the PDs measured and accurate, but I can mix powers between the eyes if needed, such as readers to wear over monovision contacts, they can have premium quality brand frames if they like, or cheapies from a hidden selection I have for just this purpose (closeouts and some Modern frames like Roy said). Start at $100. Most people do just want cheap and don't take me up on it, which is fine I don't want to put the work into maintaining a collection of $20 accessories anyway. But I have made at least one woman happy with a pair of $300 Gucci reading glasses made while she waited! I'd have to sell 20 OTCs for that same profit, and all 20 of those customers' satisfaction put together would not equal that one customer's glee.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Feeling silly - at a quick glance, I thought this thread was about my ex-wife!

...I'll get my coat...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

...I'll get my coat...
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We get ours from Ron's Optical. Not super cheap but our MD wants us to carry "good quality" readers to sell to the post-cataract patients who don't need prescription glasses anymore. Ron's Optical has a nice variety of styles, even some fashionable ones.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

...I'll get my coat...
    This needs to go in the Hall of Fame!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

...I'll get my coat...

This was the best thing to read on a Monday morning

Thread Information