Thread: Anti-theft / break-in options

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anti-theft / break-in options

Just wondering what you guys may have put in place in your offices for anti-theft / break-in deterrent options. We've been blessed with the same meth head busting in a door to grab a few cheap sunglasses, and generally making a big mess. The idiots always leave the big dollar stuff because well, they're idiots. It's the hassle of replacing shattered door jams, windows, and cleaning up the wood, glass, and fingerprint dust.

We have a camera system, but as with almost all IR types, the images aren't spectacular. We also have an alarm, but it makes a loud, annoying tone but doesn't phone the police directly. In speaking with the PD, they've said even if it did call out, it wouldn't prevent they type of break-ins we've enjoyed recently. Yay.

This first time, a rock was thrown through a window, and then the door crowbarred from inside. This time, a freaking fence post was used to bust through the jam. Ripped out both deadbolt and regular latch. We're looking into a metal reinforced jam, and an additional in-the-floor bolt from the inside as well.

Just thought I'd see what other options some of you might employ - particularly if you're in high crime areas. Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After 2 break-ins I learned the best way to keep them from stealing sunglasses is...put them away at night. They don't seem to be tempted to steal stuff they can't see!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These were out of sight. Windows are all closed up, and no light shining on the particular display that's been targeted. So looking at other more "active" deterrents if possible...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you looked into security gates?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's an open building. Parking lot out in front, single storey on the ground floor. Utah is a funny place and doesn't believe in security gates unless you're a politician millionaire. So that sadly, isn't an option. Hoping we can beef up the door/lock system a good bit as a first line of defense, and add further cameras, motion floodlights, and louder alarm as added deterrents...just wondered what sort of in-office options some of you all may employ.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Smash and grab is very difficult to prevent. You are probably going to have to spend a few bucks of money and upgrade your interior and exterior security cameras. Get some nice hi-def color photos for the police. Contact a professional.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Security shutters is my first thought.

Worked a stones throw from the infamous Boston Combat Zone in the early eighties and raised and lowered the grate every day. The down and out still peed through the grate spaces but what are ya gonna do? Buildings a college dorm now.

My quick google search shows some much nicer ones than the one I dealt with.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a tricky one, as our building is a small "medical office complex" and not a typical retail store front. We just have regular old steel doors. Residential type. Our cameras aren't horrible, but perhaps there are better options. We'll see if ownership bites on that one at all. Lights don't seem to be any deterrent as we're well lit all around, and the alarm did trigger as soon as the door was opened and it's sensor tripped. Didn't stop Mr Meth head.

In other news - Fester, I'm curious if there is more or less pee on the door mat at the old place now that it's dorm housing?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! That's awful. Do the break ins occur at the same time? Can you get a cop to do a drive by or maybe park out there for a night to see if you can catch the guy in the act? I usually say not to display the actual frames in your windows but just posters and point of sale stuff and see if that helps but it sounds like what you said they stole was out of sight?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can get all the high tech cameras you want so you can see who is doing it. A camera is not going to stop meth heads that need a fix.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    In other news - Fester, I'm curious if there is more or less pee on the door mat at the old place now that it's dorm housing?
    Good question! Downtown Boston is hardly recognizable from 40 years ago but the Little Buildings full of college kids and the vestibule is still there so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still a restroom.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Install a loud speaker and play classical music or better yet operas.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow.

So I got a call yesterday from one of our fellow tenants in the building we share. Sometime between late Sat afternoon, and Sunday mid morning, Mr Meth Head tried AGAIN to break in. We had installed a steel floor plate to keep the door from opening at all, but he still tried. And apparently the large Maui display case we had in front of that door was the casualty this time - down it went, shattering the glass and spilling product everywhere. No idea yet if any pieces were lost in that chaos. But he didn't get in. Owners finally bolted a piece of angle steel over the door and frame (rather late in coming but it is what it is.) I expect we caught Methy-the-Wonder-Criminal's attempts to batter in the door and knocking over the case on video, but at least he wasn't able to get in this time.

Maybe ownership can now be convinced to hire a rent-a-cop to sit in the lot at night for a while? Who knows...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's just crazy. You would think the local police would be willing to drive through the lot nightly. Keep an extra eye on it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Those shutters are looking more and more effective and cheaper as time goes on.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    That's just crazy. You would think the local police would be willing to drive through the lot nightly. Keep an extra eye on it.
    You would *think*. I know we've ASKED them for it repeatedly. Thing is, it's by no means a rough neighborhood by any measure - just more petty crime than anything else. You've got to be fairly well off to own a home in this neighborhood by Utah standards, so why they can't seem to catch this stuff more regularly is...odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Those shutters are looking more and more effective and cheaper as time goes on.
    I agree. But that probably means the owners will look even harder in the other direction. SMDH *shrug*

Thread Information