Thread: People who need/want extreme light protection

Occupation
    Optometrist

People who need/want extreme light protection

Not gonna judge, here. Some of these people are legit, and some are whackos, and some just have a preference. But it has always rankled me when I provide a standard sunglass solution to someone and they whine "can't you make it DARKERRRRRR?".

So I hit upon a simple concept, and it needs to be developed or dumped, hence my post.

A nice-enough lady post-cataract surgery with fair eyes purchased a pair of (flat front) sunglasses with polar gray lenses, no mirror coating. And she wants more light attenuation. I could point out 80% absorbtion/20% transmission stats but that's not good enough. She must have moar darknuss.

I explained that, past 20% transmission, is in the realm of "ski and glacier-glass level light protection" which includes side-shields/cups and high-reflectance mirror coatings (which look dang weird on flat base curves, PALs and segmented MFs, but whatever). I kind of liked the sound what blurted out of my mouth.

So, which is better, Mrs. Fair?
    One: normal sunglasses, or
    Two: ski glasses?

Because I can do either.

The trick, now, is developing a protocol for ski glasses. There are only a very few ophthalmic frame suppliers that have a glacier glass with side cups. I looked online and Julbo has some that look good. Vuarnet but bring the wallet. What else?

What tricks to avoid the weirdness of the wave on a front surface PAL? A digital PAL is all-backside, right?

Help me design this new offering that will fit this need.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not just tint the lenses darker? It's a much simpler fix. I've done at least a dozen this year to 90% and the people that wanted super dark loved them. Category 3 "general purpose lens or shield, medium to dark" goes all the way down to 8% VLT according to ANSI Z80.3-2015.

I'm not sure what you mean by the weirdness of the wave? But I also don't know why anyone is still using front side molded PALs anymore either.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many cat sx clients haven't had normal retinal illuminations levels for years. Expect significant adaptation periods, possibly related to unwanted artifacts from the lens implant.

The sun is intensely bright, and is still intensely bright even with first-rate sunglasses.

Too much light attenuation can decrease traffic light recognition. Tree canopied streets (sometimes with children/pedestrians/bicyclists) will be too dark and unsafe. Tunnels can be extremely dangerous.

Demo the product and be firm in your recommendations.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I figure most patients ask for darker lenses because they think darker=better protection.
    I do my best to educate patients why darker isn't always better, give them instances why sometimes darker could be more inconvenient.
    But if they still insist they want the maximum protection, I tint the polarized lenses like Kwill said.
    MOST people are satisfied at that level.

If money isn't an issue, the Vuarnet sunglasses, or anything that has a side shield.
    I think I've seen designer brands occasionally have models with side shields.
    Personally, I think they all look pretty weird and wouldn't want to wear it, but if light sensitivity is an issue,
    they probably want ski goggles or anything that resembles closest to a ski goggle.
    If they need protection AND can't give up on their fashion, maybe recommend sunglasses with a wrap around design and thick temples?
    I had one patient who said she was extremely sensitive to light wear something like that.
    She told me she knows the lenses are a bit more tricky with those, but they are more "trendy".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been toying with the idea of putting polarized lenses into a frame that has magnetic clips, and cutting new plano lenses into the clip, but rotate the polarization 45 degrees or so.

That'll teach 'em
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Spexvet I thought you were dead.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Spexvet I thought you were dead.
    I was. I'm feeling much better now.
    ...Just ask me...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tint'em and Spex just got back from the Balkans...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are always fitover sunglasses for those willing to make the fashion faux pas. The kind with the little sunglass panels on the temples, like Solar Shields. Our patients are mostly geriatric, granted, but they love them. We even sell them to patients post-cataract surgery who no longer need distance correction. But, again, our patient base is mostly past caring about looking cool.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We use Live Eyewear for those, Krystle, and they're really nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Speaking of little sunglass panels on the side. Does anyone know of a good ophthalmic sunglass with side panels that is rxable? I know Cazal has one, but maybe something less expensive.
    Some time ago, I used one from Bolle and Hobie that was basically the same. They were good nylon frames that were great for active people.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I forget what the manufacturer is, but the "Champion" (like the sportswear company) licensed line has a pair with side panels. Just saw them in one of the trade magazines. I'd love to pick up a pair for myself because I love over the top statement glasses.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Optometrist

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks drk, and Krystleclear, but those don't appear to have the side panels, they appear to be solid.

Thread Information