Thread: What is your opinions about bluetooth glasses?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

What is your opinions about bluetooth glasses?

Rayban Stories is released, do you think it would be a new trend for eyeglasses? Would it influence the traditional eyeglasses market?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Older GOMLs like me say: “What for?”

Youngin’s—those whose neural circuitry has been conditioned to require ever more novelty—a resounding yes!

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Nah. Eventually smart glasses will come out that catch on. I'm waiting with bated breath. This is not that.
    Last edited by Robert_S; 09-28-2021 at 07:04 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if they will catch on. Google Glass was supposed to be a big thing but they never caught on and fell by the wayside.

For the Rayban stories - I can see the appeal for kids who want to post everything to their social media, and glasses like this would allow them to be more "in the moment." You could just experience something without being glued to your phone to record it. On the other hand, I can see room for creepers and people with ill intentions making use of these. Yeah, you can already discreetly film with your phone but with glasses it's even more easy to be sneaky. It creeps me out a little bit. I foresee some legal issues with these. They are supposed to have a little light that will be illuminated while filming but some of us aren't always looking out for hidden recording devices, like we're in a James Bond movie or something.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gonna be every bit as popular as Transitions SPLITZ. Mark my words! LOOK OUT WORLD! LOLZ

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    You are all really out of touch if you think young people are interested in this. Facebook is by far the least cool social media there is.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was under the impression that you would be able to upload your videos to other social media, like Instagram, Youtube, and TikTok - the latter is still very popular. I know Facebook owns Instagram. And by young - we can include millennials who are now in their late 20s into their 40s and do still use Facebook and would actually have $$ for something like this. (I say that as a 33 year old millennial myself.) A lot of small businesses actually use Facebook Live as their primary way to market and sell their products directly to customers. Even Chinese wholesalers use Facebook live. I could see these maybe being of interest. Also, live streaming is very popular right now - just look at Twitch. These could be a replacement for GoPros and smartphones for a more "point of view" experience. Now if they only work with Facebook, then that's just plain stupid and Rayban will realize that soon enough.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I agree with you but I read it was only Facebook. Perhaps that was incorrect but it came from a big tech reporting company (I think CNET?)

Plus the video quality is not good at all so won't replace a GoPro or even a Vlogging camera.

I'm all for Smart Glasses and can't wait for the right one to be created. I think Apple are the only company capable of making it a mass market thing. And I'm not a fan of Apple but that's just the reality.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, then these will probably see the same fate as Google Glass... I just saw an ad for another bluetooth frame line called "Lucyd" which seem to be marketed to both young and older wearers. I guess it would be less tedius than wearing one of those bluetooth earpieces (which people still cling to here in rural PA). I remember when I was a teenager working at a fast food place, people would come up to order but would be talking to someone via their bluetooth earpiece. I would be so confused until I realized they weren't talking to me. It's going to be even more confusing when someone is talking to their glasses. You might look a teeny bit crazy.
    Krystle

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Older GOMLs like me say: “What for?”

Youngin’s—those whose neural circuitry has been conditioned to require ever more novelty—a resounding yes!

B
    Get off my lawn? I don't drive a classic Gran Torino, but I do like the kids in my neighborhood, the parents not so much.

A buddy of mine and his new girlfriend dragged me into a very popular yuppie bar back in the '80s. She started to act weird when a TV crew came along to do a piece on the bar, interviewing the bartenders, servers and patrons. The place thinned out a bit and she was nowhere to be found. I asked my friend what's up? He said she was married.

Eye Douches

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Fad. It will die. AR glasses, in the future, I think will be quite popular.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So.... they can never clean this with water? Or heat it to adjust or change lenses?
    What happens if you take it to the beach one day and get sand all over it?

How come the Rayban website isn't saying this is "waterproof"?

Thread Information