Thread: Lab to Classroom

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Lab to Classroom

It's been a few years now that I transitioned from lab owner to full-time adjunct professor of Opticianry at SIPI in ABQ.

I continue to monitor industry trends and incorporate new technologies and practices into the curriculum.

As an example, a recent addition was the Optomap Daytona for Fundus Photography

My question is related to freeform progressives. I discuss compensated Rx and position of wear measurements. I'm seeking your input as to best hardware/software package for POW measurements. Typically does your lab of choice provide measuring devices? Percentage of Freeform dispensed?

Thanks in advance

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by PRECISIONLAB View Post
    It's been a few years now that I transitioned from lab owner to full-time adjunct professor of Opticianry at SIPI in ABQ.

I continue to monitor industry trends and incorporate new technologies and practices into the curriculum.

As an example, a recent addition was the Optomap Daytona for Fundus Photography

My question is related to freeform progressives. I discuss compensated Rx and position of wear measurements. I'm seeking your input as to best hardware/software package for POW measurements. Typically does your lab of choice provide measuring devices? Percentage of Freeform dispensed?

Thanks in advance

Percentage of free form dispensed? You mean per practice? As far as measure for POW, I think every practice probably has a digital tool that can measure panto, wrap, & back vertex. If a practice wanted to make manual measurements, I am sure they have the analog tools on hand. If they had neither, I know that Zeiss offers the a wrap, as well as a panto/vertex tool you can get if you offer their lenses that can use POW.

This older fitting/dispensing guide from Zeiss discusses the analog tools they offer. It was uploaded by Luzerne Labs:

https://www.yumpu.com/da/document/re...e-optical-labs

I disagree with the guides suggestion that you use a typical value if you don't measure. For an individualized lens, there is no excuse for not taking those measurements unless one has a patient that won't cooperate, and then the question becomes, why pick a POW lens if they aren't going to get the benefit from it/are that uncooperative.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 09-21-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Thread Information