Thread: rimless frames

Bad address email on file

rimless frames

Does anybody have any thoughts on patients noticing the nasal screw hole in a rimless.I have a lady who has worn pals happily for years who has recently moved to rimless. She says the nasal screw hole on right eye is "driving her mad". I would have thought if anybody could supress it would be a successful pal wearer.
    many thanks

Bad address email on file
    Yes, we had a lady who was like that about the nasal drill hole. I won't even go into the re-makes, adjustments, etc that she said didn't help. When she started complaining about the (large) amount of money she spent to get these "unwearable" glasses, we ended up letting her pick an entirely new frame. (NOT A RIMLESS!)

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Tell your patient due to the design of the mounting the nasal and even temporal mount will stand out like a sore thumb. They will get use to it. I liken it to when patients go from a thin metal frame to a dark plastic one, "I can see the frame!", duh. Patience is a virtue.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete,

I only fit the Silhouette drilled rimless so this might not apply to your situation. When dispensed I ask if the nasal or temporal mount is noticeable. If it is quite apparent in their field of view I tell them it will go away in about ten days, and that instead of gradually diminishing in appearance the awareness of the mount will suddenly disappear. That was my experience as well as most of my clients. These mountings will be less noticeable if the lenses are very close to the eyes, and if wide bridges are not put on extremely narrow PDs or very narrow (width) lenses on large PDs (making the temporal mount more noticeable). If you are using drilled designs that have shiny or bulky hardware you might want to establish the clients sensitivity to these mounts during the time of frame selection instead of when dispensed.

Robert

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

less visible holes ......................

Easy, polish the hole and it will be less visible and bother

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert Martellaro said:
    Pete,

I only fit the Silhouette drilled rimless so this might not apply to your situation.
    The Silhouette Minimal X frames have a pretty narrow bridge which seems to be less noticable for most folks.

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar

rimless

We do a TON of rimless and a general rule in our office is A PD of 54 or less will have problems no matter where the bridge is drilled. People with 55 to 60 mm PD will be able to adapt in a week or so and the folks with a 60 mm PD and above very rarely have any issues with the bridge in fact some of the higher PDs actually see the temple drill holes..............

just a bit of info hope it helps

Mikol
    :cheers: :cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had several folks notice the holes, but I point it out to them before they buy it. It's similar to pointing out a narrow "B" on the trendy smaller frames, so that they're not surprised when they end up looking under the frames.

(Usually they're so determined to buy them that they brush off what I'm telling them anyway. When they pick them up, they might make mention of it, but remembering that they were warned, they get used to it. )

Thread Information