Thread: Eyezen+ Single Vision Lenses - Your Experience?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyezen+ Single Vision Lenses - Your Experience?

Essilor's marketing presents Eyezen+ as an enhanced SV lens available to anyone. Since it is kind of a progressive lens, is it really a good fit for anyone? I am considering ordering a set for myself to try out to see if it would be a good option for my patients in the 30 - 40 year old range that don't yet have presbyopia (at least no add power on the script) but are approaching it. I'm 33, so, I'm in that demographic.

Obviously, I know I can ask them if they have trouble with visual fatigue from near/intermediate work, and filter out the good candidates that way, but... In your experiences, what type of patient is a good fit for Eyezen lenses? Have any patients not adapted well to slight progressive addition? Do you think it's all Essilor marketing mumbo jumbo or is it a worthwhile purchase for your patients? Can it function as training wheels for a future PAL? I have read a few blogs online touting Eyezen+ as a waste of money. I don't want to offer patients something that will end up in non-adapt remakes when they were doing fine with normal SV lenses.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Thank you in advance. You all are very generous with your knowledge and expertise.
    Krystle

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patient selection and managing expectations are key.

I'm about 50/50 (not so great odds) success but they knew what they were getting into so the redo no refund rule applies.

This is a great online review:

https://progressive-glasses.com/are-eyezen-lenses-worth-it/

~~This second site deleted~~
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-02-2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: tweak...delete...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have the eyezen 2 in my own glasses ( myopia ) . Not sure I can tell a whole lot of difference . My husband needs a +1 reader (which he feels is a little to strong) so I decided to try eyezen 4 plano and he really likes them .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow. That fool managed to get things wrong that even a kindergartner knows. It's kind of frightening the mount of deception he employs in his "review" there. I can't wait to see how he justifies himself as a master neurosurgeon next week or whatever his next "target" ends up being. Just YIKES.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Wow. That fool managed to get things wrong that even a kindergartner knows. It's kind of frightening the mount of deception he employs in his "review" there. I can't wait to see how he justifies himself as a master neurosurgeon next week or whatever his next "target" ends up being. Just YIKES.
    Kinda makes you want to sic Big E on him!

Please do not copy my original post as I want to edit his site out by days end.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! That guy is angry and bitter. Someone get him a therapy dog quick!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Wow! That guy is angry and bitter. Someone get him a therapy dog quick!
    Probably failing as a stock broker and Jean-Claude Van Damme movies will do that to you.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First may I say, Yikes! That whole site made me feel a bit queasy, and I'm not a fan of EssiLux, but dang. I've got a pair of Eyezen1s that I got a few years ago when I was on digital devices 12-15 hours a day and really did like them. Only thing that felt odd was riding a bike trying to look at the road ahead of me for the first week. I am a bit young to need to train for a PAL, so I don't have any experience in that regard, but I imagine having some training on seeing a difference in power as slight as an eyezen1 might help in the future.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had the most success using the eyezen + lenses with the 40-50 crowd as computer lenses. It seems to work really well for the people that still have some accommodation. Put the computer Rx at the top and the bump at the bottom helps them read and they have a very large area for their computer vision.

I have a doctor that likes to recommend it to kids, this past year and a half especially with everyone being on ipads all day. I haven't gotten too much feedback positive or negative from the kids. The only issue is if you bill VSP for this they do not count the eyezen + lenses as an add power. So if you do plano eyezen +2 it cannot be billed to VSP, need at least -0.50 in either sphere or cyl for it to be billable.

We have had a lot of positive feedback with the eyezen start as our go to digital SV lens.
    Last edited by NAICITPO; 09-01-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just dispensed a Boost +3 pair.

She was 30 and came from our doc with a R pl -2.00 x 178 L -.50 -1.50 x15 rx Eye med benefit complaining of eye strain from i pad work all day. Her old distance rx was very close and I told her I wasn't going to fill the new rx as written for distance only as it would not help her complaint and probably make things worse.

A little sticker shocked after the $300 quote ($80 frame Altair McAllister overage) she left with me telling her to go read about them on line. Most of a google search first couple of pages are dominated by Essilor's promotions. Not sure if she did go on line but she came back and ordered them a couple of days later.

I put them on her and got a "Wow".

Now I've got a patient for life and great word of mouth advertising for standing my ground.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-02-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Just dispensed a Boost +3 pair.

She was 30 and came from our doc with a R pl -2.00 x 178 L -.50 -1.50 x15 rx Eye med benefit complaining of eye strain from i pad work all day. Her old distance rx was very close and I told her I wasn't going to fill the new rx as written for distance only as it would not help her complaint and probably make things worse.

A little sticker shocked after the $300 quote ($80 frame Altair McAllister overage) she left with me telling her to go read about them on line. Most of a google search first couple of pages are dominated by Essilor's promotions. Not sure if she did go on line but she came back and ordered them a couple of days later.

I put them on her and got a "Wow".

Now I've got a patient for life and great word of mouth advertising for standing my ground.

Love this! But how can your doc not be able to have that conversation with their patient? It seems like your doctor wasn't listening to their patient and not setting you up for success. Thankfully they have you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Love this! But how can your doc not be able to have that conversation with their patient? It seems like your doctor wasn't listening to their patient and not setting you up for success. Thankfully they have you.
    She may have but I don't recall. I generally start every hand off with "What do you want your new glasses to do" and everything flows from there. She's from a corporate chain background and gets a kick out of me not selling what makes the most up front money in exchange for the long term relationship.

My other doc goes back decades with me and only recently has he stopped telling everyone 45 and older that a progressive will solve all their problems.

Big, big fan of quality AR (there is a difference imo) but don't get me started on the the "harm" of blue light and the need for filters.

Really worried? CHANGE THE SCREEN BACKGROUND FROM BLUE PEOPLE!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    She may have but I don't recall. I generally start every hand off with "What do you want your new glasses to do" and everything flows from there. She's from a corporate chain background and gets a kick out of me not selling what makes the most up front money in exchange for the long term relationship.

My other doc goes back decades with me and only recently has he stopped telling everyone 45 and older that a progressive will solve all their problems.

Big, big fan of quality AR (there is a difference imo) but don't get me started on the the "harm" of blue light and the need for filters.

Really worried? CHANGE THE SCREEN BACKGROUND FROM BLUE PEOPLE!!!
    Yeah from a corporate chain background too, it took awhile to adjust to not having the pressure of closing every customer that walked in. I find with a smidge more relaxed attitude I end up closing more anyway. Desperation is a stinky cologne.

I like John from Laramy K's description of progressives, they are a compromise and a compromised lens. I definitely have stolen that phrase.

And yes definitely agree on high quality ARs. Every time I edge a pair of sapphire lenses and clean off the film I just marvel at how nice they are compared to the crap I sold in my corporate chain life.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=NAICITPO;564975
    I like John from Laramy K's description of progressives, they are a compromise and a compromised lens. I definitely have stolen that phrase.[/QUOTE]
    +1 me too!!! Thanks John!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    I like John from Laramy K's description of progressives, they are a compromise and a compromised lens. I definitely have stolen that phrase.
    Yes! I have been working my way through the Laramy K courses and I really like his approach and outlook on a lot of things. I always try to educate my patients that progressives have pros and cons. That way they don't have unrealistic expectations when they get their first pair of progressives. I seriously struggle with math, and his optical math courses are helping me a great deal. It's worth the subscription fee for the whole OpticianWorks bundle. (The only bone I have to pick is he said getting prism scripts for glasses orders is rare. I wish! We get a lot. Guess that comes with the territory of ophthalmology.)

We never get any visits from Essilor reps in our small independent office, so I rely on the online materials and their website to glean information about their products. It seems to me that they are marketing it (Eyezen) in a way that patients might not have any idea that there is any addition for reading in the lens.

Also, I agree on AR. It makes a difference, and you definitely notice it if you decide to go without it after having been used to the AR. Low quality ARs just get smudged and scratched to heck and end up not really achieving the goal of best possible vison after a few months of wear and tear. We sold super crappy in-house AR at my last office and were highly discouraged from selling any branded premium products. For a long time, I thought AR was more hassle than it was worth because I didn't now how nice a premium AR can be. I have used our lab Luzerne's in-house AR, AGT+, and it is just not as nice as the premium ARs. AR also makes your glasses look better when you are on a Zoom/video call - which is pretty relevant for a lot of people who are now working remotely. Great for those of us who absolutely hate how bright the new LED headlights are - before I had LASIK and a car with a rear-view mirror dimmer, the reflection on my lenses from those super bright headlights made it hard to see.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    Yes! I have been working my way through the Laramy K courses and I really like his approach and outlook on a lot of things. I always try to educate my patients that progressives have pros and cons. That way they don't have unrealistic expectations when they get their first pair of progressives. I seriously struggle with math, and his optical math courses are helping me a great deal. It's worth the subscription fee for the whole OpticianWorks bundle. (The only bone I have to pick is he said getting prism scripts for glasses orders is rare. I wish! We get a lot. Guess that comes with the territory of ophthalmology.)

We never get any visits from Essilor reps in our small independent office, so I rely on the online materials and their website to glean information about their products. It seems to me that they are marketing it (Eyezen) in a way that patients might not have any idea that there is any addition for reading in the lens.

Also, I agree on AR. It makes a difference, and you definitely notice it if you decide to go without it after having been used to the AR. Low quality ARs just get smudged and scratched to heck and end up not really achieving the goal of best possible vison after a few months of wear and tear. We sold super crappy in-house AR at my last office and were highly discouraged from selling any branded premium products. For a long time, I thought AR was more hassle than it was worth because I didn't now how nice a premium AR can be. I have used our lab Luzerne's in-house AR, AGT+, and it is just not as nice as the premium ARs. AR also makes your glasses look better when you are on a Zoom/video call - which is pretty relevant for a lot of people who are now working remotely. Great for those of us who absolutely hate how bright the new LED headlights are - before I had LASIK and a car with a rear-view mirror dimmer, the reflection on my lenses from those super bright headlights made it hard to see.
    As an opthalmology clinic I would imagine you see more prism because you get more complicated issues that general optometry clinics aren't fixing. But I can also imagine some of that has to be having a hammer and thinking every problem is a nail.

You should reach out to Essilor and ask about scheduling a meeting with a rep. Even if you are a small office they will probably come by and see you and you can get your questions answered and then vet the information you get with people on here who deal with Big E a lot. If you get a eyezen + lens back from the lab it's kind of fun to play around with it in the lensometer to see the bump, doesn't look as clean as a progressive does in the reading area, maybe they blend it more? Maybe Pete or another lens guru could explain the difference.

High end AR is just beautiful, lasts longer, and easier to keep clean. I also really appreciate big E's non-slip coat, because when I edge FSV I don't have to use a blocking pad on them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm going to reach out and see if we could schedule an appointment with an Essilor rep. I think it would be beneficial and maybe we can also get some promotional freebies/display materials.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Our doc is a plano OU distance and she loves the Eyezen+3 for that little boost of plus at work on tablets. We use it both for patients needing the same and for occasional "baby progressives," with excellent results. Ditto for the Unity Relieve.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actually got some for myself, both the Eyezen and the Power Boost from Walman. The first set I got, I honestly can't say I noticed it much, unless I really tilted my head and tried looking in the distance. Does it help accommodation fatigue? Maybe? I can't honestly say I notice it much. Where I have actually had some good success with patients on it, however, are those 40 year olds who notice that looking at the phone (or tape measure, or spreadsheets, or whatever) is getting a little more annoying. Not to the point of full blown PAL, but enough that the mini-add helps. Had a trades guy get it for his work pair because the hashes on the tape measure were getting pretty blurry. He picked up his Eyezen 3s and loved it. One place I got burned was making sure you really pay attention to what the patient is saying for how they want to use them, however. I put someone in an Eyezen 2, and they DETESTED having that add in there, because I didn't do due diligence on my exploratory questions. Switched her to an Eyezen Start and issues were resolved. The fact that the Eyezens also have the blue protection as part of the lens appeals to parents for their kids, as well. I don't use that as a sales thing, what with the blue block benefits not on rock solid ground scientifically, but if they say "I want blue protect for my kid," welp, ok

Thread Information