Thread: Target alignment for Marco 101 lensmeter

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Target alignment for Marco 101 lensmeter

I brought this home to clean it up and replace the washer where you set the height/angle of the lensmeter. While I am working on it, I'd like to fix the alignment of the center of the target (the 3 thick lines and three thin lines). It has never been quite at the center when the prism is set to zero. I just moved the prism wheel to center it before inserting the lenses but I'd like to have it correct. I got it centered, but then I noticed that the location of the target moves a little as the axis wheel is rotated, so it's only centered at one axis position, like the barrel is off axis. I'm only talking about it being off maybe the width of one of the thick lines, so it's not terrible. But I'd like to get ti properly aligned, if possible.

Does anyone know of an adjustment for that?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    There is an internal part that will center the reticle by 4 small set screws. The slightest adjustment can cause a significant change of target center. The alignment of the eye piece can also come into play.
    Last edited by PRECISIONLAB; 08-30-2021 at 10:13 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by PRECISIONLAB View Post
    There is an internal part that will center the reticle by 4 small set screws. The slightest adjustment can cause a significant change of target center. The alignment of the eye piece can also come into play.
    Thanks. I think I found that after posting. For the eyepiece, are you talking about the 3 hex screws? It got it closer, but I can't quite get it there. Is there a trick to aligning it or is it just trial and error? The eyepiece, in particular was difficult because I had to loosen all three or it would stick. Then it's hard to tighten while looking through the eyepiece to make sure it stays aligned.

When you take the cover off the middle portion, there are two little set screws, each next to a large locking screw, on the gear rail. Do you know what they do? It seems like that should allow you to adjust the angle of the barrel up or down. There are two fixed rails along the sides that have 4 Philips screws on with copper washer shims under each screw. Our have 4 shims under each screw. It looks like that might be used to give a gross adjustment of the barrel, while the set screws on the gear rail would give fine adjustment.

Thread Information