1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Customer approach

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Customer approach

Hello everyone,

Just curious on how you approach a customer when they walk in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would say I greet the customer as they walk in and through conversation assess what brought them in and get a feel for whether they want me to help them look for frames or whether they just want to browse on their own. Some people want you to basically choose their frames for them and some people don't want bothered and will come to you when they need help. I always show them around the frame boards and try to give them a little direction, even if they don't want my help.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I would say I greet the customer as they walk in and through conversation assess what brought them in and get a feel for whether they want me to help them look for frames or whether they just want to browse on their own. Some people want you to basically choose their frames for them and some people don't want bothered and will come to you when they need help. I always show them around the frame boards and try to give them a little direction, even if they don't want my help.
    +1
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I do the same exact thing, some customers don’t want to be helped because they have pre conceived notions that we want to just sell sell sell.

I also give them direction, tell them I’m here to help and would be very happy to answer any questions or concerns they may have.

some people will tell you right off the bat they’re just looking and my response usually is “we don’t charge for that” it’s a good ice breaker :)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    At a minimum always acknoledge a person when they come into your shop. Even Walmart has "greeters"

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We started doing an appointment only schedule since June 2020 when we fully reopened and are not looking back! So I know when to expect patients with outside rx's, pick ups and repairs/adjustments.

We will usually accommodate walk-ins with a friendly greeting but explain that appointment scheduled patients have my priority to which they have all been agreeable when they knock on the locked door after passing a lawn sign on the walkway asking to call reception before entering without an appointment.

I've gotten old enough now, and have worked with most of them over years if not decades, that I can have fun with them when I work with them and most now come to me because I'm not afraid to argue with them if they want a frame that does not fit or will not accommodate the lenses (I am the Frame Nazi! No frame for you- One Year!!). I will usually find the frame they should get within the first few we try then go do other things, (like post on OB!) if they want to browse and/or catch their breath over our prices. When they ask why we are so expensive I tell them it's because they overpay the optician. Then set the hook with how much was your last evening on the town or tank of gas etc.

If all they want is cheap I've got some hidden away but I'm not worried if you go elsewhere (never to return) and tell them upfront we are not Walmart or Costco. We are professionals.

fwiw- About 4 years ago we got a stamp for rx's that said [Replacement copies $5.00]. We had some complain and lost some patients but it cut way down on calls to send us another copy (some a couple of days after we handed it to them) and now deal mostly with managed care (why frames are so expensive) and loyal patients who want me to help them and the $850.00+ cost doesn't matter.

Still have days that make me crazy but the retirement ship is dropping sails as it comes into the inner harbor and prepares to dock!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-27-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    We started doing an appointment only schedule since June 2020 when we fully reopened and are not looking back!
    I am the only optician here and I am part time, so when we reopened we came back as appointment only. We were hoping to be able to see walk ins, but we have a small office and being short staffed it just isn't possible. I'm hoping we can hire another optician but who knows. Also, we clean everything that is tried on, so it a lot of policing if someone just wants to walk around and "look." It's hard to do a repair in my lab if someone else is "looking." It's kinda nice to have appointments and know what to expect and it's also nice to pull frames for people. So much faster! I can see us doing some kind of hybrid appointment/walk in down the road if staffing gets better.

Thread Information