Thread: Does your practice benefit from eyemed?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Does your practice benefit from eyemed?

Our states largest insurer is outsourcing their vision care to Eyemed next year, and we are more than likely not signing their new contract. I have reviewed their contract and really dont see how Eyemed will benefit our practice other than their large patient base.

I've seen plenty of posts here about hassles with getting paid and many of you happier dropping EM all together, so I'm just wondering for those still participating with EM what do you like best about it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No.

Same is true with ANY managed care plan. They're in it for themselves alone - screw the patient, and screw you. It's a pretty simple business model they all follow really.

But - OD's everywhere get suckered onto the hook, and never seem to be able to let go. *shrug*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I worked for a regional chain, we took any and all vision plans. We even took all the medicaid/medical assistance plans. We were still profitable because we bought everything in bulk and sold the patients a lower quality product that didn't cost us that much. We were told to try push the patients to buy a second pair. And our doctors pretty much spent 5 minutes or less with the patients, so the measly exam reimbursement didn't seem so bad when you pump out 80-100 patients in a day, per doctor. We profited by sheer volume and having a really low bottom line. If a patient had a bad experience and decides to take their business elsewhere, it wasn't a big deal because we were always getting tons of new patients. You know how some patients hop from cheap optical chain to cheap optical chain.

This model doesn't and can't work for a small / independent practice. You can't buy frames and lenses in as large of quantities and you can't afford to lose patients due to rushed exams and inferior quality glasses. If you take vision insurances, you accept that you aren't going to make much if anything from those patients. We take VSP at my current private practice office, but being that we're ophthalmology we bill most visits through the medical. We really don't make much from the glasses. It's a tough situation though for optometry based practices because a large chunk of patients have vision insurance and want to use it.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It actually costs us more, have been trying to exclude ourselves from their lab services, like I have done with ALL others, they just won't return emails or phone calls.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's the deal with me.

I try for "relationship"-type practice. That is, I serve a local community. I try not to think of them as "EyeMed patients" or "VSP patients" or "Medicare patients" but just, patients.

As such, patients sign up for all kinds of stupid plans; working patients when their employers change carriers, and seniors every stinking year. Medicare advantage plans that include EyeMed pop up out of nowhere. Major Fortune 500 companies seem to cycle between VSP and EyeMed every few years. Government plans vary from time-to-time. I have to retain people and maintain the relationship. I don't want an exodus in and out.

So the way I have to look at it is: "how do I serve my community/market"?

That's not a retail-store concept. If I had one of those, it would be a more transactional approach, and it would be a matter of dollars and "sense". In which case I don't know I'd take ANY VCPs at all.
    Last edited by drk; 08-25-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not taking any VCPs means turning your back on the overwhelming majority of corporate- and state-employed potential patients in your community. For me, taking the "hit" of accepting VCPs, especially crummy ones like Davis, is one of the most important ways we serve our local community.

I would love to work in a cash-only environment that allows me to simply order what I want for my clients and charge what I need to. That works for some communities. It does not work for some.

As far as thinking of my clients as "VSP patients," "EyeMed Patients," and the like, in our case that's mostly just a matter of knowing the ins and outs of those specific plans to help maximize their benefit. Different plans have different "sweet spots" where copays and functionalities are best for everyone. For example, I know VSP will empower patients to get really high-end PALs for a reasonable price, and that EyeMed patients who work for Capital One can get Crizal Alize cheaper than any other EM patients, but Avance is only 20% off.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyemed was horrible to deal with. We do not miss it.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DRK is on the money about servicing the patient not the plan. Our retail optical takes Eyemed. It isn’t the worst vision plan out there. Seems like the profitability is limited. They require you to send work out to the Essilor lab. The lab work has been pretty decent lately and the turnaround time is acceptable so we are doing well with it. Eyemed has been doing a lot with Medicare plans in our area as well as local employers so we have to work with it quite a bit. Payments come in quick enough and their secure website is easy to navigate.

I know it is easy to hate vision plans but they aren’t going anywhere so we take the more common ones locally and do our best to serve the client as best we can. Now Spectera on the other hand…………..

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bottom line for me:

Dr's office: probably take VCPs, including EyeMed (since they are pretty on-par with VSP) (but not including any that prevents you from doing a half-decent job and there are some of those) because we can afford to make it up on "total relationship eye care".

Optical: probably do not take VCPs, and revel in the freedom to be excellent and don't mess around with Mr. Mediocrity.

Thread Information