Thread: Job interview questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Job interview questions

Hello everyone,

If your looking to hire a frames consultant what are some important questions to ask other than the qualities/experience that is required for the job?

What are some cues and signs to look for during that process?

It’s never easy finding the right candidate but what has worked for you?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure what you mean by frame consultant. Do you mean frame rep? Someone in your office that will be doing frame buying? Or someone who is helping patients select frames? Frame reps are not interviewed. You get the rep with the line and you TELL the rep what your office policy is. For example, we set up appointments and don't see walk in reps. We also do board allocation. In our office the optician does the frame buying and helping patients with frame selections.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are the job responsibilities of a frames consultant?
    Krystle

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry guys, I meant frame stylists, someone who helps select frames.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well it depends on what you're looking for. Are you willing to train and take someone with no experience? Someone with experience should know what frame fit is appropriate. On bridge, temples etc. They should also know what frame is appropriate for what rx. Do they know different lens materials (example using Trivex in a drill mount) An obvious sign is when they are wearing glasses and they don't fit well! I've seen that, and it's bad. Nothing worse than an optician wearing poorly made, bad fitting glasses. As far as no experience, perhaps they worked in fashion. Are they wearing glasses? Maybe they know what it's like if they don't fit correctly and can use that to help patients. We are hiring here in our office and are willing to train. I think I would start off with the basics like types of frames. Then frame parts. Then frame fit. Then work on what Rx is appropriate for what frame. Are they willing to listen and learn or does their attitude tell you that they "know it all.' I had one girl that kept correcting me the first week of training. She was correcting me on terminology that they used at Lenscrafters and we didn't use in private practice. I knew that one wasn't going to work out. That was a long week.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Will the frame stylist be functioning as a dispensing optician and selling the lenses too and dispensing glasses?

I think presenting them with a scenario of an angry patient who is upset with their glasses is a good idea. Ask the interviewee how they would handle that situation. Should shed some light on how they approach customer service as well as troubleshooting. They should know to first shut up and listen to the patient/customer and let them know they are being heard and then offer to troubleshoot the issue.

Also, there is a lot to know when it comes to selling and fitting glasses. Are they willing and eager to learn? Cause, they're going to need to learn a LOT. I agree with mervenek about know-it-all new hires/trainees. They refuse to learn and it ends up wasting everyone's time. They need to understand that even if they have prior experience, every optical shop is different and does things differently.

Good luck!
    Krystle

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It is always a good idea to ask a difficult question that they won’t know the answer to just to see how creative they can be. Patients do ask those kind questions. When I hired people to work in the lab they had to be creative and somewhat mechanical. My favorite was how do they put the coating on an m&m the answers you get are very creative and exhibited their ability to problem solve on the spot.

Thread Information