Thread: (UK) Is it illegal to repair old glasses?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

(UK) Is it illegal to repair old glasses?

If a patient brings in a pair of glasses they bought 4 or 5 years ago and haven't had a sight test since, should we refuse to supply a replacement frame when they damaged the old one?

It is illegal to supply new lenses for a prescription over two years old without the supervision of a qualified person, so should we insist on the patient getting lenses to a current rx, or get an optician to sign off on it?

Thanks

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    So whats the issue here, My grandfather, an undertaker, never had to buy glasses or dentures in his entire life.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hexicola89 View Post
    If a patient brings in a pair of glasses they bought 4 or 5 years ago and haven't had a sight test since, should we refuse to supply a replacement frame when they damaged the old one?

It is illegal to supply new lenses for a prescription over two years old without the supervision of a qualified person, so should we insist on the patient getting lenses to a current rx, or get an optician to sign off on it?
    H
    Thanks
    Really? Now you want Eyeglass Police?

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Really? Now you want Eyeglass Police?

B
    I'm going off the UK College of Optometrists guidance, where it states that unregistered persons must not dispense prescriptions more than two years old, or they may be subject to a level 5 fine. It doesn't mention repairs, though. I wonder whether the store would be liable if they failed to warn the patient their prescription was out of date.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Repairs or frame replacement have nothing to do with the RX in his current lens.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Why would you not help someone who broke their glasses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think there will be anyone patrolling to see if we follow the rules
    And as long as the customer is ok, I am ok.
    but I do always disclose the consequences to the customer, that the liability is something the customer is going to have to take.

If they have a broken frame, it wouldn't be an issue to replace the frame no matter how old the lenses are.

If they have a broken/scratched/old lens, and they insist they can use the same prescription without changes
    (and they happen to have an expired prescription or a really scratched up lens),
    I warn them that this maybe isn't the cheapest/easiest route.

Let's say after I supposedly made new glasses for them like I was asked to and:
    1. they feel like they can't see well with their new eyeglasses because their vision/eye condition changed
    2. lenses were scratched and machine didn't read the correct prescription

Their "new" glasses are now totally useless.
    They just spent money for nothing.
    There will be no redo, no exchange, no refund as I have already disclosed that this was a high possible outcome.
    If I take the time to explain this to the customer, they usually opt to get a new prescription unless it is an urgent matter.

And in the case of an urgency,
    I usually let them have their way because if feels like it's worth a try then to let them go out of my office without glasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All we can do is recommend they get a new pair. In the US, at least in my state, the doctor can send a report of eye examination to the Department of Motor Vehicles to let them know the patient needs correction to legally drive, but that's really it. Even if someone is a -16.00 OU, we can't force them to purchase glasses or contacts. We just won't fill expired prescriptions, unless there is some extenuating circumstance, and in that case we fully educate the patient on the potential issues with using an old RX. I have dealt enough with people insisting on using an expired script (and then when they get the glasses they complain that the vision is not as crisp as they would like) that I know to avoid it, unless absolutely necessary. I think we still have a duty to help the patient if they need a repair or adjustment on frames made to an out of date prescription. It's better they have something than nothing.
    Krystle

Thread Information