Thread: How many frames are needed to sell?

OptiBoard Professional jrumbaug's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How many frames are needed to sell?

I will be starting a part time concierge optical service as part of my retirement plan. I am asking for opinions of how many frames I should carry for a in home fitting. My gut reaction is 60 women, 40 men and 40 children, but I could see where 2 to 3 times that is recommended. Please share your opinion.

I am reminded of a group of shoe stores I saw in New York City. One store has thousands of shoes selling for $20 to $40. Next to it was a store with 50 shoes on display selling for $500 a pair.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Same as a regular B&M location, you need to identify your target market. Economy? Mid priced? Luxury? Lots of kids? 20-30 somethings? Elderly?

I’ve retired ( congrats to you that you made it!) I wouldn’t even think of going back into dispensing, but if I was taking your route, I’d target assisted living/upperclass nursing homes. Those old folks still have money, it’s difficult for them to get out and will pay a premium for at home, personalized care.

For the most part, stay away from regular nursing homes, most in those have gone through their money already and are existing on Medicare/Medicaid and don’t have the funds for discretionary spending. ( which is a shame…)

Good luck!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always wondered what it would be like to sell them my time at $100 an hour as a "fashion consultant" for frames.

Take them to chains around you and buy the frame.

Charge them a flat $400 fee above lens cost.

Kind of like how Lechmere* in Cambridge worked where whatever they sold they priced it with a set (profit) number above cost.

Yes- There's a lot of evil in this but...welcome to today's world of optical!!!

* Lechmere has apparently morphed into Target and Green Line conductors announcing the MBTA stop would be a real hoot for those who don't talk noomal english.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechmere
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-17-2021 at 02:36 PM. Reason: tweak...

Thread Information