Thread: How many contacts can a patient buy a couple months before Rx expires???

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How many contacts can a patient buy a couple months before Rx expires???

This is not a question of when the RX actually expires...

I'm new here and been in the business for about 10 years. When I first started it was told to me by another optician, that if the Rx is 3 months from expiration we can only sell them enough lenses to get them thru the end of the prescription. The logic being that it is a medical device and they need to be re-evaluated once that Rx expires. I was discussing this with a co-worker earlier and could not find any clear cut information online(prior to arriving on this site in the middle of the expiration debate thread).

Can someone walk in 3 months prior to expiration and order a year supply? My thinking is NO. We can't sell them a 2 year supply the day of their exam(provided the Rx is written for 1 year).

I'm hoping to get a more straightforward answer versus speculation and my "logic".

Thanks in advance!

Chopper

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is nothing stopping that patient from taking their valid RX elsewhere and buying as many contact lenses as they want. If they are already considering buying more contact lenses than they can use before the RX expires, they probably have already made the decision that their lenses are working fine and are in no hurry to pay for a new CL fitting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We usually defer to what our doctors want us to do - but honestly, if we limit the amount they can order they can just order a bunch from some online supplier instead. Patients seem to get away with ordering CLs with long expired scripts online too. It seems pretty lawless. CL wearers just do not seem that concerned about the health of their eyes, in general.
    Krystle

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    We usually defer to what our doctors want us to do - but honestly, if we limit the amount they can order they can just order a bunch from some online supplier instead. Patients seem to get away with ordering CLs with long expired scripts online too. It seems pretty lawless. CL wearers just do not seem that concerned about the health of their eyes, in general.

While searching for an answer online I stumbled across a website that advertises contacts without an Rx, they are based in Canada. I guess my question was more geared towards in our actual practices, excluding online. What i'm gathering is there is no clear cut rule/law that states if a patient comes in with 3 months left on their Rx and wants to buy a year supply of contacts preventing them from doing so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do limit. but just as previous posters have mentioned...they can still take rx and get it filled elsewhere. It's not very regulated. They need to get examined every year, but I've seen patients get 3 years worth and not get examined. As far as online goes... we ordered CL from Hubble with a made up Dr and a made up rx and they were shipped with no problems. Definitely not regulated.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    True experience from a few years ago. They have since stopped selling contacts but the beer in the walk-in is still plentiful and cold...

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...highlight=pack

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    <snip> beer in the walk-in is still plentiful and cold...

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...highlight=pack
    Beer good, infectious keratitis bad.

The practice will place their necks in a legal guillotine if the quantity of CLs sold extends the wear past the expiration date of the Rx.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    There is nothing stopping that patient from taking their valid RX elsewhere and buying as many contact lenses as they want. If they are already considering buying more contact lenses than they can use before the RX expires, they probably have already made the decision that their lenses are working fine and are in no hurry to pay for a new CL fitting.
    In that case, more power to said patient. Just because they can do this doesn't mean one needs to endorse the degradation of standards and regulations that exist for a very good reason. I consider this to be more of an ethical issue than anything else. I am a strong believer in "Holding the line" when it comes to the increasing pressure that is applied in the fantastic race to the absolute bottom. A principled stand, especially by a minority, probably won't add up to jack squat, but at least I can say I didn't contribute to the decline, which is all I need to be able to sleep well at night.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sell them as many as they want - and then bill the ever living CRAP out of them when they return with those nasty K ulcers, raging GPC, and generally eyeballs that look like literal hamburger under the slit lamp!

WIN WIN!

And just think of those PENNIES of profit you'll make on those cash cow contact lenses! LOLZ!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Sell them as many as they want - and then bill the ever living CRAP out of them when they return with those nasty K ulcers, raging GPC, and generally eyeballs that look like literal hamburger under the slit lamp!

WIN WIN!

And just think of those PENNIES of profit you'll make on those cash cow contact lenses! LOLZ!
    I read this in Mr. Burns from the Simpsons voice with his fingers tented.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "The practice will place their necks in a legal guillotine if the quantity of CLs sold extends the wear past the expiration date of the Rx."

I'll bet you cannot find a case that produced a judgement.

We all carry insurance and lawyers would settle the rare case of someone with the chutzpah to sue after they insisted on buying beyond an expiration date.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I'll bet you cannot find a case that produced a judgement.
    Right on Uncle Festah. What would the damages be by refusing to give the gomer a few lenses? Nada, none, bupkus, zip point doodoo. A judge would laugh you out of his courtroom and there ain't a lawyer that would represent you.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I served several years in corporate optical prison, we would have the typical discount shopper load up on CL's during the annual Thanksgiving Day sale. Then they would come back and want to exchange them months later when their prescription changed.

"Uh. Nope."

"Well what am I supposed to do with all of these contacts? They're the wrong power."

"Next year don't spend dollars trying to save pennies. Sometimes you can beat the system. More often the system beats you"
    Last edited by waynegilpin; 07-18-2021 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This is a legit concern.

If a CLRx were like a drug Rx, we'd handle things differently (quantity dispensed specified, Rx taken from patient, 30-day expiry, actual factual licensed professionals in charge of dispensing).

But CLRxs were modeled after spectacle Rxs (which are little other than recommendations they're so weak) so it's not a drug model for sure.

So...what to do?

Realize:
    1. the person with the Rx can shop a billion boxes
    2. really, no Rx is needed
    3. yes they can stock up all they want at 11:59 PM the day of the expiration.

So, the horse was never fully in the barn in the first place, and now it's left the barn completely.

Our policy:
    1. We're eye care professionals.
    2. We do what's right for our patients
    3. We are regulated (even though it's a double/triple/quadruple standard!) and licensed
    4. We have to play by rules (although others don't)
    5. We set policy, we don't follow it, dammit

One year expiration. OK for a 6 mo extension under most reasonable circumstances. The end.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office does a 2 year expiration on a CLRx. And its little surprise that even so we STILL get pts who loudly whine and complain when THAT expires. Even though it's twice as long as the national CL standard of care for a CLRx. *shrug*

If the script is valid - fill it. Whatever. If they shred their eyes, it isn't on you.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Our office does a 2 year expiration on a CLRx. And its little surprise that even so we STILL get pts who loudly whine and complain when THAT expires. Even though it's twice as long as the national CL standard of care for a CLRx. *shrug*

If the script is valid - fill it. Whatever. If they shred their eyes, it isn't on you.
    Agreed. We are their healthcare provider, not their mommy.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Disrespectful

It's unclear to me why so many replies have such disrespect for the patient, or paint them as penny pinchers. Occasionally there are good reasons why they need additional lenses.

Interestingly enough, I recently had a patient who had nearly the same request as what OP wrote. With 3 months remaining before prescription expiration, they asked to purchase more CL. They originally had purchased a year supply of 2 week use CL, but stated they recently started a job at a metal factory and they've been discarding their lenses early because metal particulates were finding their way into the CL, although they weren't causing discomfort. They started using new eye PPE that prevented the metal from continuing to enter their eye, but in the process had discarded 2-3 months of CL within 2-3 weeks. Obviously we sold them an additional 3 month supply of the lenses (based on their specific request) and recommended going with dailies in the future.

What's the problem with this scenario? I felt obligated to create an account on this website to argue on behalf of legitimate requests since this thread contained none, and continuingly painted patients as penny pinchers who care nothing about their eye health.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That’s a hint:
    It’s time to deregulate glasses and contacts (contacts at least as far as Eliminating Rx expirations dates.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Uh, no.

It's time to RE-regulate vision correcting devices.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This 100%

Quote Originally Posted by DanE View Post
    It's unclear to me why so many replies have such disrespect for the patient, or paint them as penny pinchers. Occasionally there are good reasons why they need additional lenses.

Interestingly enough, I recently had a patient who had nearly the same request as what OP wrote. With 3 months remaining before prescription expiration, they asked to purchase more CL. They originally had purchased a year supply of 2 week use CL, but stated they recently started a job at a metal factory and they've been discarding their lenses early because metal particulates were finding their way into the CL, although they weren't causing discomfort. They started using new eye PPE that prevented the metal from continuing to enter their eye, but in the process had discarded 2-3 months of CL within 2-3 weeks. Obviously we sold them an additional 3 month supply of the lenses (based on their specific request) and recommended going with dailies in the future.

What's the problem with this scenario? I felt obligated to create an account on this website to argue on behalf of legitimate requests since this thread contained none, and continuingly painted patients as penny pinchers who care nothing about their eye health.
    I know there are legitimate reasons people would want additional contacts. And it may be unfair to paint every person asking for CLs as a penny pincher but it sure seems like this is the case to most of us in the business.

Customer calls up and wants to order more contacts. I tell them I'm sorry their contact lens prescription expired 3 years ago and they need to see the doctor again before we can get them more contacts. They say ok and I think that is the end of it. They then proceed to order contacts on 1-800 contacts. 1-800 faxes us to see if the Rx is still valid. I fax back that it is not valid. Then the customer proceeds to order from contact lens direct... Repeat this process FOUR times!!! Finally the customer called and asked why we wouldn't let him order more contacts? SMH

And the kicker, if I hadn't responded to the fax or phone calls from the contact lens distributers in less than 8 hours they would just sell the contacts to the customer anyway. SO pretty much anyone can order anything anytime they want if they are creative enough. Which is pretty nuts.

Thread Information