Thread: When a customer says i’ll….

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

When a customer says i’ll….

Hello everyone,

So often you spend a generous amount of time with a customer and in the end they say “I’ll think about it”

How do you approach this, what is your typical response and questions to unpack what the real hesitation is.

Customers don’t typically waste your time unless they are serious, a lot of it has to do with price I know but how do you bring it up without embarrassing the customer.

It would be nice for the customer to say I’m not interested or it costs to much instead of making that excuse.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If we have only discussed frames, I will offer to write it down or hold it for up to a week.

If we moved on to lenses, I will also provide a quote or insurance print off of the frame and lens detail.

If we made it all the way to measurements, I will physically write up the order without a date and let them know they can put a deposit down over the phone so they don't have to come back in until their glasses are ready.

That's it. I don't add guilt or pressure- just the option to move forward.

If someone it shopping while hungry- I suggest they go get food before making big decisions.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't take it personally. Our prices are higher than the big box stores and we don't take most insurances, so I get it. It's a big decision to spend money like that. Maybe they have to talk it over with a spouse or maybe they want to shop around and compare prices. I give everyone my business card with our hours and tell them I will keep their measurements/frame info on file and that they can always call in to make a credit card deposit over the phone if they decide to order. Hopefully they will remember that we were kind and helpful and decide to order with us in the future. You never want to come off as pushy - which is what drives a lot of people to order glasses online.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't take it personally. I go over everything with my patients before ordering. I explain lens types digital vs conventional, materials etc. Sometimes they need to digest the info and talk the costs over with a spouse. Most often they come back in a few days.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This isn't the best sales approach, but then I agree with my peers here that we are not salespeople anyway. I open with price. It just makes sure the customer and I are having the same conversation. If I'm talking about $700 eyewear and they are thinking about the two pair for $79 ad they saw, we're talking at cross purposes. Illustrating the typical costs of their eyewear solutions ahead of time weeds out those completely uninterested in what I offer, and then no time of theirs or mine is wasted explaining things they don't care about. If after that they aren't a hard no or "can I get a copy of my prescription?", then there's something to work with. It's taken me 20 years in the biz to internalize "you can't be everything to everyone", but now that I have (mostly... still working on it) it saves me and customers grief.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    It just makes sure the customer and I are having the same conversation. If I'm talking about $700 eyewear and they are thinking about the two pair for $79 ad they saw, we're talking at cross purposes. Illustrating the typical costs of their eyewear solutions ahead of time weeds out those completely uninterested in what I offer, and then no time of theirs or mine is wasted explaining things they don't care about.
    I always start with asking if they have gotten glasses from my establishment before. If it is a returning patient, obviously they know the general price range (excluding first time PAL wearers!) and if not- I start with the price range on frames so they have an idea of where they are at.

When people react with a hard no, I explain that we are not a discount store and hand select our frames while offering the best and most extensive options compared to such places. I add that I cannot beat their prices for this reason but we are a good place to keep in mind if they want specialty options or a personal shopper.

If I can, I like to leave a good impression even if I'm not able to help them. Hopefully they remember me when they do want to invest in something special or recommend us when a friend or family member asks. Same reasoning I don't charge for adjustments, repairs, or nosepad changes.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information