Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lab Delays due to Prism

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Prism jobs, especially with that range, are difficult. Takes several tries usually, cause there's no room for error. And depending on his RX on top of that, yeah it's gonna be a hefty lens already. Had a couple of really difficult ones last year and just had to wait. Reassure him he is in good hands, it takes time and we gotta get this right to fix the double vision.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We got the glasses in today. Halleluiah!

The wedge is extreme but not as bad as I thought - I was expecting forced temple splay but all was well there. Patient is going to give these ago. Gave him a small courtesy discount after discussing with the doctor... Praying all goes well. Keeping the fresnel regardless until the coast is clear.

He will still need to get RX safety glasses but we do not carry safety frames so I *hope* he ends up getting those through whomever his employer contracts with. Patient is off work until next month to allow for the adjustment period. It's been years since I have sold safety glasses (we don't carry them in this office as we are an ophthalmology practice with mostly senior/retired patients), so I am not sure if fresnel stickers are osha approved for safety glasses or not. I would only be able to order safety thick lenses - which.... please no.
    Krystle

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give this a couple of days Krystle and be pro active by calling him about what's coming. He needs to let his work know this could take months to be made "And a place that specializes in safety frames and not just ordered from a catalog is best."

I hope someone else will open that giant can of worms!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far, so good. He seems to be doing well, thankfully.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay, so coming up on a month later from my last post. Nearly every order I place with prism is now taking 4-6 weeks. We got one in within a few weeks (it was a VSP job) however, the lab did not split the prism as we requested and ordered, and the patient is VERY particular. He has 14 total diopters of prism, so I have no idea how it slipped through so fast but will now have to do a remake.

Is anyone else experiencing longer wait times from prism jobs? I know prism takes longer but it's taking longer than ever before and it seems like we're getting more and more patients who have prescribed prism. :/ Is this due to the material bottleneck still? I am telling patients 4-6 weeks for their glasses to come in if they need prism, yet many are still calling every few days to check on them.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am at a loss as to why every order with prism would take longer. That seems crazy to me. I understand if it is a uniquely high amount and an odd order but every order with prism? Something doesn't add up. In addition, an order with 7 diopters of prism OU being changed to 14 in one eye seems crazy. It would be in the lab's interest to split the prism. To do 14 diopters in one eye vs 7 ou would be more difficult to cut. I know it's been a while since I worked in the lab, but prism (unless crazy high amount) never affected our timeline.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    Okay, so coming up on a month later from my last post. Nearly every order I place with prism is now taking 4-6 weeks. We got one in within a few weeks (it was a VSP job) however, the lab did not split the prism as we requested and ordered, and the patient is VERY particular. He has 14 total diopters of prism, so I have no idea how it slipped through so fast but will now have to do a remake.

Is anyone else experiencing longer wait times from prism jobs? I know prism takes longer but it's taking longer than ever before and it seems like we're getting more and more patients who have prescribed prism. :/ Is this due to the material bottleneck still? I am telling patients 4-6 weeks for their glasses to come in if they need prism, yet many are still calling every few days to check on them.
    Maybe pm some lab owning guru's posting here?

And how did a lab put 14^ on one lens without a question???

Be sure you are charging appropriately as prism patients are usually time consuming.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I am at a loss as to why every order with prism would take longer. That seems crazy to me. I understand if it is a uniquely high amount and an odd order but every order with prism? Something doesn't add up. In addition, an order with 7 diopters of prism OU being changed to 14 in one eye seems crazy. It would be in the lab's interest to split the prism. To do 14 diopters in one eye vs 7 ou would be more difficult to cut. I know it's been a while since I worked in the lab, but prism (unless crazy high amount) never affected our timeline.
    Short answer.
    Many labs are switching to an STP process to reduce labor costs. Much easier to automate = less staff. No one needed to pull laps, switch pads, clean and restock laps. One person can run a 300 job line, instead of three.
    Downside is that freeform platforms have prism limitations. Ours is 5^ total.
    Unless your lab also runs a full manual line, they will outsource high prism orders elsewhere.
    Another issue is that extra thick blanks are not readily available any longer.
    Hence the extra time.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    And how did a lab put 14^ on one lens without a question???
    Actually, I mistyped that. He actually has 17 total diopters. OD 5.5 BU, 3 BI / OS 5.5 BD, 3 BI (I can't remember which is base up or base down off the top of my head so that could be wrong). They did not put it all in one eye but they did put 7 of the vertical prism in the od and 4 in the OS. I had the optometrist double check my readings and he feels it should be remade.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    They did not put it all in one eye but they did put 7 of the vertical prism in the od and 4 in the OS.
    That may be the best way to do it depending on the rest of the Rx, acuities and fitting parameters. I wouldn't say it's outright wrong.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    That may be the best way to do it depending on the rest of the Rx, acuities and fitting parameters. I wouldn't say it's outright wrong.
    I know he will be able to see just as well with him, but he may reject them if he notices the appearance of the lenses. I am guessing that is probably why they did it, but they also didn't tell us they did that. They just said they made them as ordered. Who knows. This is also a VSP job, so... there's that.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I should also say, the first pair with just .5 less diopters of prism in each eye was done as ordered. Only now, after the dr's rx change did this occur.
    Krystle

Thread Information