Thread: Coburn SGX/SGX PLUS, is the PLUS worth the upgrade?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Coburn SGX PLUS/SGX PRO, is the PRO worth the upgrade?

Anyone have experience with Coburn's SGX PLUS/SGX PRO line of generators? Currently have a 17 year old SGX PLUS with Acuity finers. Boss came to me and was told by a used equipment seller he should buy the SGX PRO/ACUITY PLUS line and sell the old line to the reseller. Seems like a lateral move to me. Anyone give me insight that the SGX PRO is a worthwhile investment? Seems to me it's like buying a new horse and buggy in 1916 after Ford just produced its millionth Model T, dying tech. Any opinion is appreciated. Me, I'd just save the money for when you want to step up your capabilities.
    Last edited by OscarMadison; 06-12-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarMadison View Post
    Anyone have experience with Coburn's SGX PLUS/SGX PRO line of generators? Currently have a 17 year old SGX PLUS with Acuity finers. Boss came to me and was told by a used equipment seller he should buy the SGX PRO/ACUITY PLUS line and sell the old line to the reseller. Seems like a lateral move to me. Anyone give me insight that the SGX PRO is a worthwhile investment? Seems to me it's like buying a new horse and buggy in 1916 after Ford just produced its millionth Model T, dying tech. Any opinion is appreciated. Me, I'd just save the money for when you want to step up your capabilities.
    I think your analogy hit the nail on the head. First lab I ever took over used a beat up SGX....hadn't worked in the 3 months prior to me getting there. Had to go in day one and fix it. So maybe I'm biased? lol I think it honestly comes down to your volume and how much it would cost you to upgrade even after selling the current system. I would venture to say, that it is probably more worthwhile to invest in something much newer. Also, the SGX Plus runs on a Windows 7 platform soooooo. For me, that's a con right there. If you were going to get something older, I'd suggest looking at a 2G from National Optronics.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Lateral move for sure- I find it strange any dealer would recommend such a baby step. Save up for a bigger upgrade if that is the route your optical is on. Otherwise, any SGX will get you by for your typical in-house jobs.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information