Thread: Insight on Mac Tel

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Insight on Mac Tel

As an optician/ tech of an independent optical, I am not very educated on rare eye diseases, and therefore the BEST options for patients dealing with their limitations. I'd like to reach out to you guys- doctors and anyone familiar with macular telangiectasia or Mac Tel to see if there is anything in particular I should be adjusting for.

Patient is new to my office (Maine) her doctor is in Florida (not unusual) and she is part of a special study and has had experimental surgery to help treat Mac Tel. From what I can tell, it is a similar condition to macular degeneration, where she has limited vision and experiences 'swim' in her natural vision (not due to progressive design.)

She is wearing ooooold glasses because she last went to Walmart and they made her the wrong Rx and she never went back to have it fixed. Her old pair is approximately 5 years old and I am looking to WOW her.

Rx:
    +2.75 +0.50 030
    +2.25 +1.25 180
    ADD +3.00

PD 31.0 / 31.5
    Seg 18.0

I'm putting her in an Auto III in Trivex (drill frame) with Transitions and AR, which she currently doesn't have. What are you guy's thoughts? I'm thinking she is about to go from old tech in poly with no AR and therefore she should see a world of difference. Is there anything I'm missing for this type of condition that may factor in?

Much appreciated in advance!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's a relatively new diagnosis. Just kind of like macular degeneration or epiretinal membranes. Nothing to do about it, optically, other than higher adds, etc. but it's usually monocular.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes if I have a macular degeneration patient with a high add, I will recommend a SV NVO pair (maybe with tint) if they do a lot of close work because they will have a wider viewing area than a progressive and their periphery is what they are using. (not that we don't recommend second pair anyway or that this is specific to your patient's diagnosis) This is just a side note for mac degen.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    double post

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-11-2021 at 09:09 AM. Reason: tweak...

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I've used the Duo in the past but haven't needed it recently. As a current PAL wearer, I didn't think of going that route because I didn't want to limit her range of vision. I will definitely keep that in mind if the increase in ADD becomes limiting to her.

Thanks for the quick responses all!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    As an optician/ tech of an independent optical, I am not very educated on rare eye diseases, and therefore the BEST options for patients dealing with their limitations. I'd like to reach out to you guys- doctors and anyone familiar with macular telangiectasia or Mac Tel to see if there is anything in particular I should be adjusting for.

Patient is new to my office (Maine) her doctor is in Florida (not unusual) and she is part of a special study and has had experimental surgery to help treat Mac Tel. From what I can tell, it is a similar condition to macular degeneration, where she has limited vision and experiences 'swim' in her natural vision (not due to progressive design.)

She is wearing ooooold glasses because she last went to Walmart and they made her the wrong Rx and she never went back to have it fixed. Her old pair is approximately 5 years old and I am looking to WOW her.

Rx:
    +2.75 +0.50 030
    +2.25 +1.25 180
    ADD +3.00

PD 31.0 / 31.5
    Seg 18.0

I'm putting her in an Auto III in Trivex (drill frame) with Transitions and AR, which she currently doesn't have. What are you guy's thoughts? I'm thinking she is about to go from old tech in poly with no AR and therefore she should see a world of difference. Is there anything I'm missing for this type of condition that may factor in?

Much appreciated in advance!
    Auto 3 is fine. I think you use Cherry, right? Auto 3 is in the same pricing category as an IOT Alpha with Camber. I would pick an IOT H25/H45 15 or 16 with Camber. Consider using MR-8 instead of Trivex because, in my experience, Trivex Transitions lenses are more likely to have crazing issues.

Thread Information