Thread: Building Lens Catalog In Compulink....Help?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Building Lens Catalog In Compulink....Help?

Guys, I'm about ready to set this thing on fire. Hoping anyone might have tips or tell me I'm not totally crazy. I did a training session with Compulink on building the lens catalog, but the way they have it built just has SO much clutter. Trying to find a way to clean it up. But the problem I'm running into is when you build a glasses order for a patient. There's Focal Type, Lens, Material, Trans/Polar, and Aspheric. Then coatings and treatments off to the side. But it won't let us fee slip the order if there's nothing in the Lens category (even though it's just a repeat of everything else). So I'm trying to streamline the process and just have it tied to one drop down for each, to eliminate the clutter. But there is NOWHERE that I've found that allows me to edit the Lens category. Not where it'll let me attach the other options. It wants definitions but it lists literally EVERYTHING under Lens. Anyone have any tips? I see the solution in my mind but I can't seem to find a combination that works. Thanks....maybe I am crazy.....

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are not crazy yet I predict you will be soon enough from this endeavor!

Some (10?) years ago a regular poster (not so active now) from CA tried something like this. Anyone remember his name and the thread?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I might be able to help. Give me an example of what you want to do. You want to select one thing from the Package box and have it populate all the other boxes for you? I will admit I certainly don't use the spectacle Rx screen Compulink wants me to and have customized it to what works for me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    If you are not crazy yet I predict you will be soon enough from this endeavor!

Some (10?) years ago a regular poster (not so active now) from CA tried something like this. Anyone remember his name and the thread?
    lol Definitely already there. But it certainly makes my brainhole hurt. Tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything similar

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I might be able to help. Give me an example of what you want to do. You want to select one thing from the Package box and have it populate all the other boxes for you? I will admit I certainly don't use the spectacle Rx screen Compulink wants me to and have customized it to what works for me.
    I'm looking to do the exact opposite. I'm wanting it to allow for selection via drop down menu. But the way they have it programmed is to auto populate based on the lens selection. The only thing is, I have to have a bajillion lens options in the system for that. Maybe I'm trying to simplify the system too much? I ended up moving all transitions, polarized and mirror options to Coatings/Add Ons to reduce the clutter. I noticed every time you add a definition to a lens, it overrides whatever is beneath it. So if I try and add multiple transitions to say, a Varilux X Design, so that it'll have them all attached for the drop down, it only allows one to be selected. Or materials as another example. And the system won't let you fee slip without Lens Option selected. So when I pick a different transition or material it zeroes out that box because it only allows one to be active.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is how I set mine up, which may or may not work for you. I know the Compulink people have told me I don't do it like most for billing. For one thing I don't deal with insurance so I don't care if the ledger looks correct for that. And I use non-LIP(non-Line Item Posting). I honestly don't know what the difference is between non-LIP and LIP, or how I would even use LIP. I just use it the way it has always been set up here. I also don't use any branded names and don't use any of the "C" Compulink owned items from the list. I have made up my own names for every lens I use, and as I have been messing with the lens utility to write this reply I think I did it this way to avoid exactly what you are talking about. The way I set mine up isn't prefect, but I think its the best way I can make it with their wonky software. I remember many frustrating phone calls to customer support and eventually gave up on them and came up with this. Ideally I would select each drop down individually to cut down all the clutter. Have one entry for Autograph then select material and add-ons, instead of listing every single possible iteration of Autograph to scroll though and select right? As far as I can tell there is no way to be able to select the LENS and MATERIAL drop downs independently . It's ridiculous.

I don't use the PACKAGE drop for anything. I use the LENS drop down to select lens and material. So UTILITY>LOOKUP TABLES>SPECTACLE>LENS>DEFINITIONS I have listed in definitions all my lens and material combos. So let's say PAL XYZ will have 4 entries(or how ever many materials you use). PAL XYZ Plastic, PAL XYZ Trivex, PAL XYZ 1.60, PAL XYZ 1.67, These are all priced at $0.00. Then under the materials drop down I will have the exact same entries PAL XYZ Plastic, PAL XYZ Trivex, etc, with their appropriate price attached. Then I go to definitions and attach the MATERIAL to the LENS of the same name. So when I am on the spectacle lens screen and I select from the LENS drop down PAL XYZ High Index it auto populates the PAL XYZ in the MATERIAL drop down and the applies the right cost. That is all I use from the left side of the drop downs. I have everything else as a separate line item and price under coatings/add-ons and the tint drop down. Again I made up my own to replace all of Compulink's pre-made entries. Then used the HIDE function to only show the drop down selections I want to see.

It works well for me as I only have 2 PAL choices I use with made up names for ledger purposes. It should still cut down some of your clutter and massive lens package list that have every add-on pre-populated. Its going to take a bit of work to make all of these if you have a lot of lens choices though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that's where we're running into issues. We use VSP One labs, so we have Unity in the system. We use Southern for everything else. (Been down this road with my Doctor but at least I got us moved to one where I know the people there and trust them lol.) So we have a literal smorgasbord of options. I think that's where it's just too much. So far moving transitions and such to Add Ons is working. I could simplify like yours if I knew for a fact the opticians could juggle remembering where everything gets ordered from. I changed a good bit procedurally when I got here, to be fair. So it'll take some time for them to get fully adjusted. But I'm hoping to do just that soon enough. They can't even get the code right for me to have WIP reports......

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optical cheat codes??? I pulled a little code out of recesses of my memory when I need to do 1 lens only purchase of +99 and it worked. But are there other codes that I should know about???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only ones I know are +99 for no lens and +88 for balance lens.

Thread Information