Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Best independent lab?

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Frederick, CO
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    5

    Best independent lab?

    Hello! I'm new to this site, but have 20 years experience in eyecare.

    I'm part of an independent 3 OD practice looking for a lab that meets these criteria:

    1) Independent (not owned by Essilor in any way/shape/form)
    2) ideally based in the U.S.
    3) high quality PALs (not looking for cheap/low end)
    4) excellent AR with good warranties
    5) good support/customer service
    6) good turn time
    7) price is a factor, but not the main driver

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sebago ME
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    1,177
    Welcome!

    I will start by saying I'm about to infringe on your primary criteria. Cherry Optical is out of Green Bay and IS associated with Essilor, though they do not push any one brand and offer them all. Aside from that stipulation, they 100% match your needs. We have switched to them from sourcing directly to Hoya and after years of experience, have found their quality and service unmatched.

    https://cherryopticallab.com/
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

  3. #3
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mitten State
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Welcome!

    I will start by saying I'm about to infringe on your primary criteria. Cherry Optical is out of Green Bay and IS associated with Essilor, though they do not push any one brand and offer them all. Aside from that stipulation, they 100% match your needs. We have switched to them from sourcing directly to Hoya and after years of experience, have found their quality and service unmatched.

    https://cherryopticallab.com/
    I can't speak from personal experience working with them, but what Quince has said is exactly what I have heard from at least 1/2 a dozen colleagues.

  4. #4
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Frederick, CO
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Welcome!

    I will start by saying I'm about to infringe on your primary criteria. Cherry Optical is out of Green Bay and IS associated with Essilor, though they do not push any one brand and offer them all. Aside from that stipulation, they 100% match your needs. We have switched to them from sourcing directly to Hoya and after years of experience, have found their quality and service unmatched.

    https://cherryopticallab.com/
    Thank you for such a quick reply. I'll reach out to them (but will still happily accept any other recommendations)

  5. #5
    OptiBoardaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    267
    Luzerne Optical in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,415
    I use K-Optical in Hummelstown, PA.

  7. #7
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    138
    Where is John at?

  8. #8
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Frederick, CO
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    5
    I appreciate all the replies. This is helpful.

  9. #9
    Rising Star walleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    350
    Allentown Optical in Allentown, PA (employee owned) or Luzerne Optical in Wilkes Barre, PA ( family owned).

  10. #10
    OptiBoard Professional IIxIPariahIxII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina/Atlanta, Georgia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    117
    For truly independent, I would say either Luzerne Optical in PA, or even Solidar in Florida. Used Solidar a good bit and they're excellent all around. Great pricing, solid work. Really never had any issues with their lenses either.

  11. #11
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by IIxIPariahIxII View Post
    For truly independent, I would say either Luzerne Optical in PA, or even Solidar in Florida. Used Solidar a good bit and they're excellent all around. Great pricing, solid work. Really never had any issues with their lenses either.
    I did not have good experience with solidar. Shipping was $25 per job and they would charge the same amount for remakes that were due to their own error.

  12. #12
    OptiBoard Professional IIxIPariahIxII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina/Atlanta, Georgia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    I did not have good experience with solidar. Shipping was $25 per job and they would charge the same amount for remakes that were due to their own error.
    O_o That's surprising. We paid a flat fee per shipment, not per job and it was less than $25. And never had issues with remakes.

  13. #13
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    4
    We use Luzerne in Wilkes Barre, PA. I have no complaints - the offer a range of branded lenses and options but also have their own in-house progressive and ARs that still have warrantees. They are very easy to work with.

  14. #14
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    2
    I am interested to hear more about what independent labs people use within the Midwest?

  15. #15
    Keep on truckin... Cherry Optical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    643

    Exclamation Cherry Optical Lab - 100% Independent, 100% Family Owned

    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Welcome!

    I will start by saying I'm about to infringe on your primary criteria. Cherry Optical is out of Green Bay and IS associated with Essilor, though they do not push any one brand and offer them all. Aside from that stipulation, they 100% match your needs. We have switched to them from sourcing directly to Hoya and after years of experience, have found their quality and service unmatched.

    https://cherryopticallab.com/
    It has been ages since I've logged on to Optiboard, but I felt a disturbance and I'm glad I took a look around.

    Cherry Optical Lab (Cherry Optical, Inc) located in Green Bay, WI is 100% Independent and 100% owned by Joe, Lynn, and Adam Cherry. The association we have with Essilor is that we are an authorized distributor of Essilor, Crizal, Varilux, and Transitions lenses. This is no different than our association with all lens manufacturers - Younger, Shamir, Signet Armorlite, Hoya, Seiko, VisionEase, Somo, TOG, IOT, Crossbows, etc. Additionally, we are enabled to produce Essilor's freeform designs ((all Varilux & Essilor (Definity, Ideal, etc) designs)) and Crizal (Crizal Rock, Crizal Avance, Crizal Alize, Crizal Easy, Crizal Sapphire & Crizal with Optifog).

    Just to be clear, there is 0.0 agreement whereas Essilor owns or has the right to own any part of COL.

    Thank you.
    -Adam

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    527
    Have to chime in here. I've used nearly a hundred different labs in the past 15 years and Cherry is hands-down the best. No contest.

  17. #17
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Frederick, CO
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    5
    I appreciate the continued replies. I'm getting some good information, and it sounds like Cherry is an excellent option. Thanks for chiming in, Adam.

  18. #18
    Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sebago ME
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    It has been ages since I've logged on to Optiboard, but I felt a disturbance and I'm glad I took a look around.

    Cherry Optical Lab (Cherry Optical, Inc) located in Green Bay, WI is 100% Independent and 100% owned by Joe, Lynn, and Adam Cherry. The association we have with Essilor is that we are an authorized distributor of Essilor, Crizal, Varilux, and Transitions lenses. This is no different than our association with all lens manufacturers - Younger, Shamir, Signet Armorlite, Hoya, Seiko, VisionEase, Somo, TOG, IOT, Crossbows, etc. Additionally, we are enabled to produce Essilor's freeform designs ((all Varilux & Essilor (Definity, Ideal, etc) designs)) and Crizal (Crizal Rock, Crizal Avance, Crizal Alize, Crizal Easy, Crizal Sapphire & Crizal with Optifog).

    Just to be clear, there is 0.0 agreement whereas Essilor owns or has the right to own any part of COL.

    Thank you.
    -Adam
    Thank you for clarifying! I apologize for the misrepresentation. Once again, we couldn't be happier with our relationship with you guys! Keep up the good work.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

  19. #19
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    It has been ages since I've logged on to Optiboard, but I felt a disturbance and I'm glad I took a look around.

    Cherry Optical Lab (Cherry Optical, Inc) located in Green Bay, WI is 100% Independent and 100% owned by Joe, Lynn, and Adam Cherry. The association we have with Essilor is that we are an authorized distributor of Essilor, Crizal, Varilux, and Transitions lenses. This is no different than our association with all lens manufacturers - Younger, Shamir, Signet Armorlite, Hoya, Seiko, VisionEase, Somo, TOG, IOT, Crossbows, etc. Additionally, we are enabled to produce Essilor's freeform designs ((all Varilux & Essilor (Definity, Ideal, etc) designs)) and Crizal (Crizal Rock, Crizal Avance, Crizal Alize, Crizal Easy, Crizal Sapphire & Crizal with Optifog).

    Just to be clear, there is 0.0 agreement whereas Essilor owns or has the right to own any part of COL.

    Thank you.
    -Adam
    Cherry is the very best lab I've used.

  20. #20
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    20
    Just out of curiosity is Cherry Optical MI and Cherry Optical Lab WI connected somehow?

  21. #21
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,872
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmj View Post
    Just out of curiosity is Cherry Optical MI and Cherry Optical Lab WI connected somehow?
    They are not business related

    B

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can a corporation lease to both an independent optician and an independent optometris
    By Opticalpro in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 02:44 AM
  2. The Largest Independent Lab is no more independent
    By Chris Ryser in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 06:32 AM
  3. Independent Sales
    By eyesales in forum The Job Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
  4. Franchise to Independent?
    By foobs in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 11:00 AM
  5. Lux and the Independent
    By Live Eyewear in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 277
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 10:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •