Thread: Essilor Dallas is giving me a hard time.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Essilor Dallas is giving me a hard time.

I need help.

Pete Hanlin?

Anyone with pull?

I'm asking for them to dip a lens in tint for literally 1 minute and then apply AR coating, and they won't do it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    They should have told you why. Most likely it is because when they hard coat the lens after tint some of the tint will leach out and spoil the dip coat.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You expect personalized service from a global conglomerate? ....Ha...ha ha, oh it hurts...ha ha!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Shut up, you.

I am forced to use them when I want Zeiss from EyeMed. Grr.

I'm not going to use them again.

Lensman, are you saying they're protecting their dip coat? Does that mean that AR coating tinted lenses is not going to be a thing, anymore? What about back side AR on a sunlens?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    You can add a tint to ar but it depends on the requirements of the ar. If you are spinning the hard coat no problem. Many sun lenses are pre colored material no problem, Polaroid no problem. If you request a different ar you can get what you want.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lensman11 is correct, and it is precisely to protect their dip chemicals. An AR without the dip coat substrate should be fine, therefore anything other than Crizal or Duravision.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Speaking of spin. Ess/SatisLoh has a mithral spin coating that is great, but not tintable. Many AR ready spin coats are also not, or are poorly, tintable. Small labs will struggle with this, as they may not have the budget for multiple hard coaters.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other than Poly you can tint before you spin coat so the tintability of the coating doesn’t matter. When I was GM at Essilor Dallas we were spin coating with td2 the current dip coat material and tinting first was not a problem but always discouraged. We switched to dip coating as it is way more cost efficient although it comes with its own set of problems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    They should have told you why. Most likely it is because when they hard coat the lens after tint some of the tint will leach out and spoil the dip coat.
    This explains a lot. Thank you! I've had labs be able to do a simple tint with AR in the past and then other labs say no. Wondered why the other ones refused. (essilor lab, so it makes sense)

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Sorry it took so long to see your post, but fortunately you received an excellent (and completely accurate) answer.

You can get a tint with Sharpview AR, but the Crizal process has elements that do not play nicely with tints. On the other hand, that process results in an extremely durable lens, so- as long as you don't need a tint, you'll be happy with the lens' durability and cleanability.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm trying to get a Zeiss Synchrony Access lens for a legacy case. He wanted a blue-blocker AR, but that for whatever reason wasn't compatible.

So I wanted a 15% brown tint with a standard AR and it's like pulling teeth.

Can I put Sharpview on that lens?

I hate where we are, these days...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You should be able to order Sharpview on that lens. As mentioned earlier, it comes down to the type of hard-coating on the lens- some hard-coats and hard-coating processes are compatible with tints, others are not... Sharpview should be compatible with tinting, since they can use a tintable hard-coat.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A great deal of labs do not like to tint and apply AR coatings because tinting UV cured spin coats often times can compromise the integrity of the hard coating to some degree. An AR stack will only be as solid as the foundation you are applying it to.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I need help.

Pete Hanlin?

Anyone with pull?

I'm asking for them to dip a lens in tint for literally 1 minute and then apply AR coating, and they won't do it.
    Skip them, they work with many other medium or big size labs that do it for them. if you still looking for who can do all that i can do it in my lab (we work with Essilor and Vsp as vendors).

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    usually the lenses that have a spin coating treatment have the CX side already hardened with a non-colorable HC, so +/- all the spin coater uses non-colorable HC. It is not possible to color the lens before the HC because putting it in colored water and at 93 ° C for a few minutes, you risk damaging the HC on the cx side.
    For this reason (and not only) in Europe we use deep coating systems and we can choose whether to first lacquer the lens with a nHC dintable and dpo color or color the lens and then make a HC not tintable.
    In both cases, the lenses have no problems and any type of AR treatment can be done

Thread Information