Thread: Lens Design

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lens Design

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I wonder if there are programs similar to e.g. Zemax or Synopsys for the design of optical glasses available for the optician. If it were, we could send completely individual projects to producers with a request for execution. Please share information if anyone knows the topic.

Best regards,
    Piotr Molski

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What do you mean by design?

Why would anyone sell expensive, complex software to opticians to do their own designs when they can sell expensive, complex software to lens manufacturers?

As an optician, we really get to control a whole lot of variables on these lenses, for "free".

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my opinion it is true what you write, but using a spherometer so fully we can understand only the construction of basic lenses. Without information from the manufacturer, we are not able to completely control all parameters in aspherical and progressiv lenses.

With access to software in my point of view you do not have to think about choose between a hard and soft construction and a long and short progression channel. By that providing parameters such as now for individal PAL, you could graphically or numerically compare the optical values for several available lenses from a given manufacturer. It's a minimum.

And more that I understand 'lens design' is the way that we have practically the same software as the manufacturers, we receive production parameters and send an inquiry to several manufacturers asking who will do it for us.

Best regards,
    Piotr Molski

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would like to be able to specify specific things in some cases, like you say.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Though I like the concept, I feel like this would certainly open doors to create more problems in the long run. With the limits set now, we have known factors such as Rx and fit that can be a challenge in their own to verify for certain patients... you know the ones I mean. Adding in this amount of customization could be problematic considering many (not all) opticians' limited knowledge of how different Rxs will react to different designs.

I could see this working for a small very specialized doctor's office where the concept of fine tuning the glasses is expected to take time and trial and error. Aside from that, I think most practices are fairly set on having good, better, best tiers that are predetermined by patient reviews and education offered from reps.

On the other hand, I would LOVE a chance to play with the software myself and plug in different Rxs to see exactly how the lens layout shifts. I used to do something similar with my surfacing equipment where I would plug in different test info to play with thickness options between materials.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dzikus18 View Post
    In my opinion it is true what you write, but using a spherometer so fully we can understand only the construction of basic lenses. Without information from the manufacturer, we are not able to completely control all parameters in aspherical and progressiv lenses.

With access to software in my point of view you do not have to think about choose between a hard and soft construction and a long and short progression channel. By that providing parameters such as now for individal PAL, you could graphically or numerically compare the optical values for several available lenses from a given manufacturer. It's a minimum.

And more that I understand 'lens design' is the way that we have practically the same software as the manufacturers, we receive production parameters and send an inquiry to several manufacturers asking who will do it for us.

Best regards,
    Piotr Molski
    why would any lone optician—working at a retail dispensing desk—somehow have access to, let alone understand, all the specialized and informed metric weighting of the various factors used in today’s best progressive lenses?

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Though I like the concept, I feel like this would certainly open doors to create more problems in the long run. With the limits set now, we have known factors such as Rx and fit that can be a challenge in their own to verify for certain patients... you know the ones I mean. Adding in this amount of customization could be problematic considering many (not all) opticians' limited knowledge of how different Rxs will react to different designs.

I could see this working for a small very specialized doctor's office where the concept of fine tuning the glasses is expected to take time and trial and error. Aside from that, I think most practices are fairly set on having good, better, best tiers that are predetermined by patient reviews and education offered from reps.

On the other hand, I would LOVE a chance to play with the software myself and plug in different Rxs to see exactly how the lens layout shifts. I used to do something similar with my surfacing equipment where I would plug in different test info to play with thickness options between materials.
    Too much power in the hands of people who are not knowledgeable enough. What lab would want to do customized designs designed by each individual account for each of their patients? And wouldn't this be easier for other companies to reverse engineer the designs if they had all of this information? I cannot see this becoming a thing, as fun as it would be to have that to play with.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I could see this being a thing, if somehow it was possible to plug in certain data and something like an AI does all the hard work. Beyond that, I don't see it being something useful.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IOT sells many different designs with many variables within those designs. One can select the design attributes they want, and there's a good chance IOT has something to offer with those attributes.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Plus they have this: https://iothub.iot.es/, which helps to pick a design by inputting lifestyle and prescription information.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Plus they have this: https://iothub.iot.es/, which helps to pick a design by inputting lifestyle and prescription information.

I'm interested in what this leads to but do not have an account. Would you be able to elaborate?
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    IOT sells many different designs with many variables within those designs. One can select the design attributes they want, and there's a good chance IOT has something to offer with those attributes.
    +1

Thread Information