Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressive with high prism

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Progressive with high prism

I have a patient who currently wears a Varilux Comfort DRx with 8D base out OU. With her new script, the prism is now 13D base out OU. Our lab is telling us that that amount of prism is too high for a progressive. I am reluctant to put the patient in a FT28 because of her balance issues. Our lab is telling us that the best option for this patient is single vision. I know there has to be a lab out there with the expertise to be able to do her new script with the prism. Her distance Rx is very mild, but she does have 25D esotropia. Any help will be appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's quite a shift. Did you try a fresnel first? Just curious when the change is so great.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fresnel goes in 5D increments after 10D, so not an option. I can get a 12D, but I don't think the Dr wants to back down on the prism due to the big shift in patient's esotropia.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You could induce the split prism, then place a fresnell over the non dominate eye in the amount that is needed to create the overall prism effect., That should make it a 10d fresnell for the non dominate eye going with the current 8D base out OU in the current rx.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    13∆ total? That's doable on a semi-finished Comfort. Some labs will try it on a freeform generator but the results vision-wise are typically very poor.

Make sure to check (likely) the need to modify the IPD to anticipate the eyes turn towards the prism apex by .3mm per prism diopter.

Keep auxiliary segmented or SVNO on the table for those with above average close tasks.

Use small, round frames that will accommodate increased levels of prescribed prism in the years ahead.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    26 total prism. 13 out in each eye.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    26 is a lot for a progressive tbh.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalane View Post
    Ouch. Fresnel then, if a PAL. The highest I've gone is a pair of -8's with 16∆ out total, but in SVDO with Chemistrie power clip over for near.

Best regards,

Roberts Martellaro

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From my conversation with the rep at the Luxexcel booth at VEE a couple years ago, that's the sort of thing they will be able to make using a 3D printing process. As I recall, they're doing some limited processing at a lab in NC.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Make sure to check (likely) the need to modify the IPD to anticipate the eyes turn towards the prism apex by .3mm per prism diopter.

Robert Martellaro
    You are so good at this stuff, Robert.

OK, let's flesh out your recommendation. This whole exercise is how to convert monocular p.d.s taken with a pupillometer-accuracy-level device, with ALTERNATE OCCLUSION of the fellow eye (that is, not measuring it in the binocular state).

Let's say someone has the more typical 2^ in each eye. Let's say it's BI.

So you're saying that the inset needs modified for the progressive corridor and near zone.

It is true that prism allows the eye to go towards its rest position. In the case of an exo deviation as is the case in the example, each eye would want to go 2^ out (which isn't an angular or linear amount, but you've converted that to a linear amount at the spectacle plane...0.3mm per prism diopter).

Therefore we would outset the whole lens via the p.d. (if single vision, segmented, or PAL) by 2^ X 0.3mm = 0.6 mm/eye.

That's within measurement error for low prism amounts.

Take the example to a less common amount, say, 6^ BO OU.

6^ x 0.3mm = 1.8mm inset per eye. That is not insignificant.

I have not done this, ever. Shame on me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes Drk. This is laid out and explained in chapter 20 of Systems for Ophthalmic Dispensing 3rd edition.

The summary table can be seen here along with the table describing how and when to alter the amount of prescribed prism, which is described in detail in the preceding pages.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/System_for_Ophthalmic_Dispensing_E_Book/sV5PAQAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=system+for+ophthalmic+dispensin g+box+20-4&pg=PA486&printsec=frontcover

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Therefore we would outset the whole lens via the p.d. (if single vision, segmented, or PAL) by 2^ X 0.3mm = 0.6 mm/eye.
    That's within measurement error for low prism amounts.

For a PAL it is important to keep the eye path in the corridor to receive the most usable area of an already narrow mid range view. Not adjusting the PD for prism displacement will reduce the usable int/near area, regardless if it within measurement error for low prism amounts.
    Last edited by Kwill212; 05-13-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I like it!

Screenshotted it.

Funny that Brooks and Borish's conclusion used some of the same ideas and numbers I did!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    OK, here's where I go nuts....Do labs already do this automatically? What about digital lens softwares?

In general, if it's a software-based lens, I don't monkey. If it's a "grinder" then I'm the software.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gettyimages-515180470-1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	14895

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is no lab or lens software that I am aware of that will do this automatically for you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    OK, here's where I go nuts....Do labs already do this automatically? What about digital lens softwares?
    No, and no.

Dick Cook at Benson Optical Co., circa late 80's, showed me why my segment heights were misaligned when there was prescribed vertical prism. 10∆ vertical on a segmented is 3mm off, more if there is physical asymmetry in the facial structure. I could see the error from across the room, not just sitting face-to-face at the dispensing table.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There is no free form generator that can handle that amount of prism. Actually they have problems with more than 2 diop of prism. Usually you have to block in the prism and not ask the generator to produce it when above 2. If you want to be creative and actually have a blank thick enough to accommodate this amount of prism it could be done by first grinding the progressive design on the back of the lens and then grinding the prism on the front. Most labs do not have the tooling or equipment to process convex curves but some do and this could be done.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oi, the research is sound and in a real world application it absolutely works. I work for a lab - if we did it automatically there would be nothing but remakes. I have accounts that are aware and use the concept. The vast majority would consider it a lab error.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know. Patient was wearing 8 base out OU successfully in a progressive. We have a lab that can do in in 1.74, but the patient would need to go to a 48-50 eye size frame. Patient has a large face/head and that frame size is way too small. I'm working with the prescribing doctor to see of we can come up with a solution that will make both the patient and doctor happy.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patient currently wears 8 Out OU for a total of 16.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I know. Patient was wearing 8 base out OU successfully in a progressive. We have a lab that can do in in 1.74, but the patient would need to go to a 48-50 eye size frame. Patient has a large face/head and that frame size is way too small. I'm working with the prescribing doctor to see of we can come up with a solution that will make both the patient and doctor happy.

Hate to say it- but Oakey works wonder for finding a smaller eye size (51ish) with accommodating for a wide fit. The bowing in the temples has been a life saver for me with certain fathead/ high Rx combos.

Ovvo is a great line for a small eye size but stretchy fit. The lens will always be much more visible though. (I did a -20.00 years ago that worked out well.)

Please post a photo of the outcome if you can. I'm sure many on here would be intrigued with that amount of prism. I don't think I've seen anything over their original strength of around 16 total.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jalane
    Two points: 1) The wearer will lose two to three lines of VA with low abbe materials, about the same they would experience with a Fresnel, except with the latter they will only lose VA in one eye. 2) If a PAL, you'll need to increase the decentration by about 3mm per eye. Make sure your lab knows this because a smaller eye size will probably required, depending on the dioptric power, probably in the 42mm to 44mm range, or use lenticularization.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 05-18-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd be really tempted to make a simple sv distance rx into her frame at cost (or roll it into the charges) to be sure this complicated expensive job for her doesn't turn into an expensive complicated job for me too.

Trial frames and real world frames & lenses are usually the way to go, but this has red flags flying!!!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-19-2021 at 08:50 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree about the red flags! I discussed going to SV distance and readers, but she really is adamant about keeping her progressive.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Stay tuned......

After speaking with the prescribing doctor, we are going to try lenses without any prism to see if she can adapt to the esotropia with suppression scotoma. If she cannot adapt, its back to the drawing board.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is strabismus surgery an option for the patient?

Thread Information