Thread: Jobs to be dispensed storage

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Jobs to be dispensed storage

How do you store your jobs (cl and frames) to be dispensed? Looking for something sturdy, space saving, and able to keep them separated by name easily. It does not have to be in patient view so there is flexibility there.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Since the beginning of time we used job trays starting with stone, then wood and finally plastic. They work slicker than snot. But today, some folks use thoose baggies that hang from a rack like your pharmacy uses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Gosh, you could get a super-inexpensive shelf from the Home Depot. We have kitchen-like cabinets in the optical.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    . But today, some folks use thoose baggies that hang from a rack like your pharmacy uses.
    Johns, ( who use to post here) has been using these for a number of years, he swears by them.

(miss ya Darby! Ha!)

Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just use some stylish bags? As long as it can fit a case, and maybe a bottle of lens cleaner, you should be good to go. No reason to overcomplicate things.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Man, at my last shop we used just some small totes in a drawer with the patient order rubber-banded around the case. Set them in alphabetical order (or date received order, or whatever floats your boat). I dunno that it needs to be complicated

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used nothing but trays for years. Whatever happened to Johns, Fezz, Barry, Judy, etc? They all disappeared at the same time. Did they all join another cult?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    They were all purchased by Luxottica.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It wouldn't surprise me!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I have used nothing but trays for years. Whatever happened to Johns, Fezz, Barry, Judy, etc? They all disappeared at the same time. Did they all join another cult?
    It's probably my fault they're gone.

Years ago I came to realize if you cannot tolerate fools gladly I will eventually drive you nuts!

Sorry for the hijack BNDOPTO. It's drk's fault! (I used to blame Fezz;)

I keep jobs in trays start to finish. But I have only about a hundred active jobs in our small office at any given time.
    After a few months, the rare job that sits, I'll put in a 6x8 manila envelope. Label it with Pts name, start & breakdown date with the lenses and copy of the order- returning frame to the board.

Then down to the basement- where I have a couple of shoe boxes going back 30+ years.
    I've had patients come back years later to see if I still have them (they are almost always paid for at order or 50% deposit) and be shocked I still have them.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yes the drawers unless a few letters is just messy. They have three drawers for whole alphabet. I am thinking the trays will be a solution. The Monaco bag system the pharmacy uses is a little pricey to switch to. Management may not be up for that. Either way thank you all for the help! ��

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used heavy duty zip lock bags on a peg board for over 40 years. Moved my office (down the hall from where I was in an outpatient surgery center/Doctors offices) and switched to the pharmacy bags hung on rods and it works great.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by BNDOPTO View Post
    Yes the drawers unless a few letters is just messy. They have three drawers for whole alphabet. I am thinking the trays will be a solution. The Monaco bag system the pharmacy uses is a little pricey to switch to. Management may not be up for that. Either way thank you all for the help! ��
    The only issue I have with the Monaco bag system is that it is very easy for a bag to be displaced, such as falling down behind other bags, which hold it there, and then you can't find a job unless you go through the entire lot of them. Even then, if it is well hidden among the others, balancing or held in place by other bags, you may still not find it even after going through all of them. That had happened several times at one place I worked. Different people went through all of them 2-3 times only for one person to finally find it, stuck behind other bags, pinned against the wall, etc... By the time you find it you are just about ready to start spitting teeth.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When our jobs come back from the lab, we ditch the trays and put everything into individual manila envelopes. After patients are called, they envelopes go to a cabinet attached to the dispensing table organized alphabetically. Not the best or most high tech, but it works. We are limited on space. :/ In the office I worked in previously, we had those plastic drawers and divided the whole alphabet up in three drawers. It was horrible. You would be digging for a particular job for what seemed like forever while the patient/customer stared at you.
    Krystle

Thread Information