Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glasses service center

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I really like this approach.

For the exam side of things, we schedule up to a year in advance for future appointments so that patients don't fall through the cracks. Anyone who refuses to schedule their next appointment is put on a recall list.

We have a lot of patients who bring their glasses in for a "tune up," even though they need no adjustments or repair. I will change their nosepads, tighten screws, and give them a spa day in the ultra-sonic cleaner (the glasses, not the patients - it's not that big!). It's a good opportunity to build a relationship with your customers/patient base and forge patient loyalty. If they apologize for "bothering" me, I correct them - it's my job and I am happy to do it! (There are those neurotic patients, though...) This is our edge over buying glasses online or going to a big box optical. I have heard of some big box shops charging for nosepads or adjustments on glasses they made and sold.

I would love to learn to solder because I get many requests and with a more geriatric patient base, we see a lot of long discontinued frames come through the optical. Of course, we want to sell frames but soldering could be potentially worthwhile too. Just have to convince the MD to buy me a kit and teach myself how to do it.

I am going to start letting my patients know during the dispense that we do free lifetime adjustments.
    What kind of soldering are you talking about? Fixing broken solder points, or actually mending things like a bridge that broke in half? Both can be done, the later is just much more difficult. Also it depends on whether you are talking traditional solder (well, lead free these days) or precious metal soldering, which requires much higher temperatures.

Beyond the base metals, stainless steel, and the precious metals, you can find yourself outside of solder territory. I would imagine we are at the point where some of the "older" frames people might bring in represent some of the more modern alloys. A good example of this is anything with a decent amount of titanium or vanadium in it. Titanium literally can't be conventionally soldered. You have to braze or weld it. I would imagine other alloys have been used over the years that would require the same approach.

I honestly don't know anyone that does this kind of work though. My skill stops at transitional soldering and very simple repairs of precious metals.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 06-18-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    What kind of soldering are you talking about? Fixing broken solder points, or actually mending things like a bridge that broke in half? Both can be done, the later is just much more difficult. Also it depends on whether you are talking traditional solder (well, lead free these days) or precious metal soldering, which requires much higher temperatures.

Beyond the base metals, stainless steel, and the precious metals, you can find yourself outside of solder territory. I would imagine we are at the point where some of the "older" frames people might bring in represent some of the more modern alloys. A good example of this is anything with a decent amount of titanium or vanadium in it. Titanium literally can't be conventionally soldered. You have to braze or weld it. I would imagine other alloys have been used over the years that would require the same approach.

I honestly don't know anyone that does this kind of work though. My skill stops at transitional soldering and very simple repairs of precious metals.
    I occasionally still do solder repairs but you are definitely correct. Unless the frame is real cheap or real old, most of them can't be soldered anymore. You need something like this for titanium and modern frames.

https://sunstonewelders.com/products...ayment_methods

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I occasionally still do solder repairs but you are definitely correct. Unless the frame is real cheap or real old, most of them can't be soldered anymore. You need something like this for titanium and modern frames.

https://sunstonewelders.com/products...ayment_methods
    So far above my skill level

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’ve evolved on my thinking for repairs:

I’ll do whatever I can at first encounter to properly repair—short of silver soldering, which I still do in a pinch.

The act of sending out the frame for 7-10days is not an attractive proposition to most Rx wearers. I will often suggest remounting their lenses into a sale or cheaper frame in the price range of $50-$75.

if it’s OEM parts we need, however, then I’ve turned into a bit of an expert using Ebay. After all, a wearer’s worn frame is best served with parts from a similarly worn frame. I can usually score these matches prices between $20-45.

Sometimes I simply give the needy wearer the search info if they are familiar/comfortable with Ebay. Otherwise, I charge $25 as a service charge to get what they need.

In all cases, they see and sense I am here to help—when almost all other local opticals are not.

You figure it out, and they thank you. My conversion to becoming a client average around 50%.

B

Thread Information