Thread: Very inexpensive drill mount frames

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Very inexpensive drill mount frames

Anyone have a source for VERY inexpensive 4-hole 3 piece drill mounts? I carry a lot of Silhouette and like being able to do immediate in-office temporary fixes to broken temples and bridges, until I can order in the correct Silhouette replacement part. I've been using bits and pieces of broken demos, or cannibalizing demos from my display. But tearing apart my demo, putting it on the pt glasses, then again tearing apart the pt glasses when the right part comes in, reassembling, then rebuilding my demo... is getting tiresome. Plus my demos are getting uncomfortably "worn", and I won't be surprised if Silhouette dings or flat-out denies me exchange of my demos when I change collections.

So, I was hoping someone has something dirt cheap I could buy a selection of to have as emergency repairs. The parts would only have to last a week. The lowest price I've found was SD Eyes, but even that's more than I was hoping for. Once upon a time I thought Hilco had a collection of those parts, but I can't seem to find it.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

You might try Capri Optics Simply Lite line. Also Tuscany has an extensive rimless collection and they sell parts which is a great idea to have on hand because cannibalizing frames is time consuming when you have disassemble drill mounts.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We recently got a great deal on close outs of Airlocks (not sure if they are the same construction as I don't carry Silhouette) but might be worth checking out?
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If you need temp 1.4/3mm parts, Modern may fit your needs. Not my fav, but per your needs, they may fit the bill.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    We recently got a great deal on close outs of Airlocks (not sure if they are the same construction as I don't carry Silhouette) but might be worth checking out?
    Airlock is reeeeeeeally close to Silhouette, but perversely the drill holes are just slightly bigger. I've used them interchangeably in a pinch and they almost work.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm really surprised that this is an issue. I've never had many broken silhouettes. Although last week I had one that was mangled by a dog. I do keep extra, discs on site (in a gun color so it works for most) and extra NP. Maybe have a discussion with your rep and they can see what colors or parts you need most and give you a discount so you have an extra bridge or pair of temples? Like I said, we've never had much issues with them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Anyone have a source for VERY inexpensive 4-hole 3 piece drill mounts? I carry a lot of Silhouette and like being able to do immediate in-office temporary fixes to broken temples and bridges, until I can order in the correct Silhouette replacement part. I've been using bits and pieces of broken demos, or cannibalizing demos from my display. But tearing apart my demo, putting it on the pt glasses, then again tearing apart the pt glasses when the right part comes in, reassembling, then rebuilding my demo... is getting tiresome. Plus my demos are getting uncomfortably "worn", and I won't be surprised if Silhouette dings or flat-out denies me exchange of my demos when I change collections.

So, I was hoping someone has something dirt cheap I could buy a selection of to have as emergency repairs. The parts would only have to last a week. The lowest price I've found was SD Eyes, but even that's more than I was hoping for. Once upon a time I thought Hilco had a collection of those parts, but I can't seem to find it.
    It's a sad day when you have to buy spare frames to do a repair on a Silhouette frame. You must have frequent breakages on those frames, or you wouldn't be looking. I have NEVER had to replace frames like I have with Silly-wet...NEVER! I have 4 Model 4452 I will sell for 70 bucks each.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I'm really surprised that this is an issue. I've never had many broken silhouettes. Although last week I had one that was mangled by a dog. I do keep extra, discs on site (in a gun color so it works for most) and extra NP. Maybe have a discussion with your rep and they can see what colors or parts you need most and give you a discount so you have an extra bridge or pair of temples? Like I said, we've never had much issues with them.
    +1. I very seldom see these broken, but when they are I frequently loan out parts from demo models until the custom-ordered replacements com in from the manufacturer. I also make sure to keep every spare part patients don't want back for the same purpose.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alibaba or aliexpress if you don't mind waiting a month or two to get them. Should be fine as a temp solution for a week and are dirt cheap.

Otherwise SIOS has bridges and temples separate, more than I would pay, but might work. I can PM you their prices if you don't have access. I think McCray does as well, but their website is currently down for maintenance.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

Which model airlocks? Air they the 720 or 760 chassis with the 2.2mm hole and the notch or the two 1.40mm holes?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    +1. I very seldom see these broken, but when they are I frequently loan out parts from demo models until the custom-ordered replacements com in from the manufacturer. I also make sure to keep every spare part patients don't want back for the same purpose.
    I find the opposite is true. There are a number of Silhouette models that I often see broken -- especially the hingeless ones. I sometimes buy out stores that have closed down, so I have a bunch of Silhouette frames. I usually don't sell them as a part of a complete pair purchase. Instead, I sell them when the original frame broke, which is often.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I find the opposite is true. There are a number of Silhouette models that I often see broken -- especially the hingeless ones. I sometimes buy out stores that have closed down, so I have a bunch of Silhouette frames. I usually don't sell them as a part of a complete pair purchase. Instead, I sell them when the original frame broke, which is often.
    I guess I've been lucky? I worked in an office that sold over 400/year. You could count on fingers how many would come back broken and almost all of those were years old (4/5+). Occasionally you'll have a patient who had some kind of weird situation that would destroy any frame...such as a bad doggie.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Agreed. I don't sell Silhouette but every time a patient brings me a hingeless frame to have lenses put in, I tell them at some point it will break where the hinge should be. They usually respond with something like, "oh it already has, they replaced it last year."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do have a fair amount of breakages, half a dozen per year. I also do as Andrew said using demos and collecting remnant bits and pieces, and I have a fair collection, but rebuilding demos is irritating and I'm starting to get squeamish about the condition of my loaner parts, and I don't want to spend my time cleaning and reconditioning loaner pieces.

Thanks for the recommendations! Airlocks (which I know about) and Capri Optics Simply Lite (I did not know about) would work, but both are too much. Thanks Kwill for reminding me, I will give Alibaba a try.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Agreed. I don't sell Silhouette but every time a patient brings me a hingeless frame to have lenses put in, I tell them at some point it will break where the hinge should be. They usually respond with something like, "oh it already has, they replaced it last year."
    We simply decline to carry the models that have tended to break.

Thread Information