Thread: Edger, what to buy, the eternal question

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Edger, what to buy, the eternal question

We are in the market to buy a used edger, a few things we think is important

1.- the most important will be that it is easy to use, no skill need it
    2.- We will be edging 50 jobs per day, 100 lenses
    3.- That we can re sale in a few years and not lose much
    4.- we are down to Santinelli or National Optronics 6e for example
    5.- that we have good service and spare parts
    6.- optional that we can be used as remote tracing, so we can do the tracing in office and send the jobs from lab to office with out needing the frames in lab, the frames will stay in the office and we can send the lenses already cut to fit the frames, so in the office they will mount it to the frame, (we need the cut to be precise for this)

What will you recommend

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Would you consider the Briot Evolution system? Otherwise, Santinelli.
    You will need to understand that in today's optical marketplace, resale in three years will be at a major loss. Plan on a 5 year ROI, with a possibility of a full write off at the end of 5 years.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canche View Post
    We are in the market to buy a used edger, a few things we think is important

1.- the most important will be that it is easy to use, no skill need it
    2.- We will be edging 50 jobs per day, 100 lenses
    3.- That we can re sale in a few years and not lose much
    4.- we are down to Santinelli or National Optronics 6e for example
    5.- that we have good service and spare parts
    6.- optional that we can be used as remote tracing, so we can do the tracing in office and send the jobs from lab to office with out needing the frames in lab, the frames will stay in the office and we can send the lenses already cut to fit the frames, so in the office they will mount it to the frame, (we need the cut to be precise for this)

What will you recommend
    Part 2 of Reason #1 "no skill need it" You should order your glasses cut and edged from a lab with skilled edger operators.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Part 2 of Reason #1 "no skill need it" You should order your glasses cut and edged from a lab with skilled edger operators.
    So this comment reminds me of a conversation I had with a lab owner a while back... she tells me she just bought a fancy new high dollar edger and her company is having problems with step bevel wrap jobs. She's confused, because the edger is top shelf and brand new. I do A LOT of step bevel wrap jobs with a very decent but not brand new edger and have zero problems so she wants to know what edger I use... I told her what edger I use but also explained to her that it's the just the edger, but the operator understanding all the little tricks on how to do the job right.

I agree with above, if you want 'No skill needed', save your money and send the jobs to a lab with skilled operators. It'll work out waaaaaay better in the long run.
    Last edited by Quig; 03-28-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    So this comment reminds me of a conversation I had with a lab owner a while back... she tells me she just bought a fancy new high dollar edger and her company is having problems with step bevel wrap jobs. She's confused, because the edger is top shelf and brand new. I do A LOT of step bevel wrap jobs with a very decent but not brand new edger and have zero problems so she wants to know what edger I use... I told her what edger I use but also explained to her that it's the just the edger, but the operator understanding all the little tricks on how to do the job right.

I agree with above, if you want 'No skill needed', save your money and send the jobs to a lab with skilled operators. It'll work out waaaaaay better in the long run.
    Quig is spot on. Every edger requires a skilled technician. Too many things going on that they won't have a clue about. If you're really wanting to have your lab provide the lenses, I would suggest investing in a good lab technician (one that's already skilled and has some years under their belt) so you get the most out of your edger. The Santinellis have the capability for remote tracing, but you're going to have to buy multiple tracers. So still not an inexpensive endeavor. As far as I can remember, the Optronics 6E can't do remote, not without spending even more money. Maybe if you get it networked, as their generators can pull remote data. I'd go Santinelli regardless. But I agree with Plausible, it sounds like your best bet is to send all your jobs out to another lab. Save you money on machine and parts, and on the added staff. Especially if you're looking at doing 50 pairs a day.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hire a skilled edging technician. Ask them what edger to buy. Have them operate the edger. 50 jobs a day is worth hiring a full-time lab tech.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks guys , you are correct, we need to hire a good lab tech with experience,

With that in mind what edgers systems do you recommend

Thanks

Thread Information