Thread: Santinelli LE-1000 Edging Very Slowly

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Santinelli LE-1000 Edging Very Slowly

My otherwise-excellent LE-1000 is taking forever to complete the finishing wheel portion of edging recently. It's doubling my edging time in the busiest time of the year.

The wheel is less than 6 months old and has been dressed repeatedly within the past week. We edge primarily poly. The wheel looks perfectly clean.

Any ideas, friends?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    My otherwise-excellent LE-1000 is taking forever to complete the finishing wheel portion of edging recently. It's doubling my edging time in the busiest time of the year.

The wheel is less than 6 months old and has been dressed repeatedly within the past week. We edge primarily poly. The wheel looks perfectly clean.

Any ideas, friends?
    Have you had any issues with sizing before the issue started? A few things to check, and you probably already have. Open up the hood, remove the hose and make sure there's no debris caked up or lodged in the crevices above/around/below the wheel. I used to get Trivex build up if I was edging a bunch of 'em throughout the day. It would catch and prevent the chuck from moving all the way down towards the wheel. So it would touch, but it would be very light. If you need to, check in the gaps in that side panel by the chuck. Is the water running as it should or does it look reversed? (Could cause excessive build up). Do you know what your settings generally are for your wheel and has anything been adjusted in the menu, like while dressing the wheel? There's always a microscopic chance something got changed accidentally. Once had a tech calibrate an Optronics in the wrong screen......why no, I DON'T know why my lenses are looking like the Wu Tang logo. lol For me, it's usually debris stuck somewhere. But I was running a LOT of Trivex

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by IIxIPariahIxII View Post
    Have you had any issues with sizing before the issue started? A few things to check, and you probably already have. Open up the hood, remove the hose and make sure there's no debris caked up or lodged in the crevices above/around/below the wheel. I used to get Trivex build up if I was edging a bunch of 'em throughout the day. It would catch and prevent the chuck from moving all the way down towards the wheel. So it would touch, but it would be very light. If you need to, check in the gaps in that side panel by the chuck. Is the water running as it should or does it look reversed? (Could cause excessive build up). Do you know what your settings generally are for your wheel and has anything been adjusted in the menu, like while dressing the wheel? There's always a microscopic chance something got changed accidentally. Once had a tech calibrate an Optronics in the wrong screen......why no, I DON'T know why my lenses are looking like the Wu Tang logo. lol For me, it's usually debris stuck somewhere. But I was running a LOT of Trivex
    I did a MASSIVE cleaning about a month ago. There is no debris. I'm the only one who makes any changes to settings. No sizing issues, but I did have a pair of lenses twist way off axis last week.

It's maddeningly inconsistent. I just cut a CR39 pair of +50s that took forever, but a poly -1.00 -5.00 went through like a breeze. I can detect no pattern.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did a MASSIVE cleaning about a month ago. There is no debris. I'm the only one who makes any changes to settings. No sizing issues, but I did have a pair of lenses twist way off axis last week.

It's maddeningly inconsistent. I just cut a CR39 pair of +50s that took forever, but a poly -1.00 -5.00 went through like a breeze. I can detect no pattern.
    O_o Umm. Have you tried Ghostbusters or an exorcist?? lol That is -really- odd. Do you have the safety bevel on, polish on? CR-39 should have taken like 120 seconds. What kind of lens was it that twisted? RX, coatings etc? If you watch the wheel while it's edging, is it hitting the proper zone for the material? That could be the issue.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by IIxIPariahIxII View Post
    O_o Umm. Have you tried Ghostbusters or an exorcist?? lol That is -really- odd. Do you have the safety bevel on, polish on? CR-39 should have taken like 120 seconds. What kind of lens was it that twisted? RX, coatings etc? If you watch the wheel while it's edging, is it hitting the proper zone for the material? That could be the issue.
    The lenses that twisted were a high-minus poly in a small frame with some very sharp corners; your basic lens-slippage nightmare.

Safety bevel on, polish always off.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I did another cleaning under the hood yesterday afternoon. Seemed to have helped; everything sped along--until the +4.00 -2.75 poly SV lens on there right now. Just slowly grinding, around and around. And I dressed the finish wheel, only to receive a "dress the finish wheel" message 30 minutes later.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I had this happen to my Lex-1000. in my case the machine was overheating, and a cleaning and airing out seems to have fixed it, and i dont turn it on until im about to use it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did another cleaning under the hood yesterday afternoon. Seemed to have helped; everything sped along--until the +4.00 -2.75 poly SV lens on there right now. Just slowly grinding, around and around. And I dressed the finish wheel, only to receive a "dress the finish wheel" message 30 minutes later.
    Can you peek under that panel on the left side, the one right under the chuck arm? Normally I'd say there's a piece of something stuck somewhere. But the wheel message is concerning. Do you guys have yearly maintenance done on it? And it's specifically slowing to a crawl on the finish cycle, no other cycle?

Thread Information