Thread: Manual vs. Digital Measurements for Vertex, Panto, & Wrap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Manual vs. Digital Measurements for Vertex, Panto, & Wrap

A colleague and I were debating about the merits and detriments of manual vs. digital measurements for vertex, panto, and wrap.

He is pro-manual. He says his training and experience trump any digital measuring system, the degree the digital systems measure to is unnecessary, and error can be huge if they aren't used perfectly.

I'm pro-digital. I say that a human can never be as accurate as a properly configured, calibrated current generation digital system where the person doing it has been properly trained in how to use it correctly, any belief in the "overly precise" nature of digital systems is ridiculous, and the error in using digital systems comes from humans using them incorrectly due to poor training and practices, just like any tool.

What do you think, Optiboard? Is one superior to the other in all domains, or do they both have certain applications where they perform better than the other, and each has its limitations?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jury still out.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The gold standard

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not do it twice and compare your results? Being old, I would love the old ways I learned to be the absolute truth. But sometimes things get better...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Panto and wrap are fairly face forward math (some humor). Manual vs. digital results could vary but a skilled person results in either method would not create huge discrepancies. Vertex depth is unknown until lens are made due to bevel placement and inside lens curves, albeit some estimates could be made using some nasty math.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lelarep: ask yourself who is pushing the digital measurement systems. The optical industry. Why would they do that? Would it be that if measurements can be done electronically we wouldn't need opticians? Use your hands and demonstrate to your patient that your training, your credentials and your personal touch are the precision you bring to the lens making process. Using digital measurement devices puts you in the same class as Lenscrafters or anyone else who thinks professional opticians are a profession that can be replaced by untrained hourly workers.
    Anyone who measures by hand these days demonstrates their value to the patient-don't let on-line threats and "the industry" tell you how to best serve your patients.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyeyes View Post
    Lelarep: ask yourself who is pushing the digital measurement systems. The optical industry. Why would they do that? Would it be that if measurements can be done electronically we wouldn't need opticians? Use your hands and demonstrate to your patient that your training, your credentials and your personal touch are the precision you bring to the lens making process. Using digital measurement devices puts you in the same class as Lenscrafters or anyone else who thinks professional opticians are a profession that can be replaced by untrained hourly workers.
    Anyone who measures by hand these days demonstrates their value to the patient-don't let on-line threats and "the industry" tell you how to best serve your patients.
    I can not disagree with this sentiment strongly enough. Fighting technology because it might put you out of a job is a losing battle. If the only thing separating LensCraftes from independent opticians is taking measurements by hand, the ship has sailed and is past the horizon.

Do you demand your doctor/nurse takes your blood pressure with a stethoscope and a stopwatch instead of the cuff because you like the personal touch? Imagine if you asked a roofer to only use a hammer instead of an air-nailer to shingle your roof becuase you wanted that person touch and precision. Also if you are hiring the teenager down the street(LenCrafters) to re-roof your house, it doesn't matter what tool they use. Taking measurements digitally vs by hand demonstrates nothing other than adoption of technology. I have been taking digital measurements exclusively since 2013 and in my experience it gives the impression to laypeople that everything else about the practice is more up to date and advanced. I can train a monkey to use a distometer, and I can train a monkey to use an iPad. They will arrive at the same measurements. What you do with those measurements, and what you do leading up to the measurements is what matters.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I can not disagree with this sentiment strongly enough. Fighting technology because it might put you out of a job is a losing battle. If the only thing separating LensCraftes from independent opticians is taking measurements by hand, the ship has sailed and is past the horizon.

Do you demand your doctor/nurse takes your blood pressure with a stethoscope and a stopwatch instead of the cuff because you like the personal touch? Imagine if you asked a roofer to only use a hammer instead of an air-nailer to shingle your roof becuase you wanted that person touch and precision. Also if you are hiring the teenager down the street(LenCrafters) to re-roof your house, it doesn't matter what tool they use. Taking measurements digitally vs by hand demonstrates nothing other than adoption of technology. I have been taking digital measurements exclusively since 2013 and in my experience it gives the impression to laypeople that everything else about the practice is more up to date and advanced. I can train a monkey to use a distometer, and I can train a monkey to use an iPad. They will arrive at the same measurements. What you do with those measurements, and what you do leading up to the measurements is what matters.
    Wow, YES!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Kwill212;562614Also if you are hiring the teenager down the street(LenCrafters) to re-roof your house, it doesn't matter what tool they use. What you do with those measurements, and what you do leading up to the measurements is what matters.[/QUOTE]
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am ok with digital, it has its place in time and truly makes a great pair of glasses. I am also old school and do exercise the skills I have learned over the years.
    Problem with old school skills and digital both of them go to hell when the glasses start slipping and sliding. When that happens digital just made your glasses very expensive because of the equipment involved to make them.

Thread Information