Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Transitions Xtractive Polarised

  1. #1
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    900

    Transitions Xtractive Polarised

    Have you guys seen the new press releases around this product? I'm told it isn't transitions vantage, yet it sounds the same in every way, even down to the less than ideal 90% max polarisation.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,412
    I just talked to someone in my lab about this on Friday. She said it should be way better than vantage. Better polarization and better color when inside. Vantage was that yellowish color and this should be more like a normal xtra active. Anxious to see what this is really like.

  3. #3
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    900
    I didn't find vantage too bad? I didn't notice any yellowing and the max polarisation is the same on both products.

  4. #4
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Italy
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    I didn't find vantage too bad? I didn't notice any yellowing and the max polarisation is the same on both products.
    I think the transitions vantage have only one problem: it is a slow photochromic vs transitions classic or xtractive.

    I never try the nupolar infinity grey but I think is a better product (but it is never 100% clear)

    I hope in this new product if this will be clear or start from max 10-20% dark
    Last edited by dima; 03-01-2021 at 04:47 PM.

  5. #5
    OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    waterford,WI
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    121
    It does, even gets to about 45% in the car, enough for the polarization to work. It gets very dark outside!

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,691

  7. #7
    Master OptiBoarder AngeHamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,207
    I wonder if it will come in high index. Vantage had a release date for 1.67 announced, then it was pushed back, then it was pushed back some more, then canceled.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

  8. #8
    Rising Star Cat-Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    72
    I had the vantage in a pair of motorcycle sunnies...it was convenient. I am always hesitant when they say "fully clear"...
    "One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art" - Oscar Wilde

  9. #9
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-Eyes View Post
    I had the vantage in a pair of motorcycle sunnies...it was convenient. I am always hesitant when they say "fully clear"...
    +1

    You have to read the fine print on what they mean by "fully clear". There is usually a materiel, temperature, and residual tint level listed somewhere, and it's never what any reasonable person would call "fully clear".

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,871
    Methinks Fully clear applies as closely as “accurate measurements.”

    B

  11. #11
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    I didn't find vantage too bad? I didn't notice any yellowing and the max polarisation is the same on both products.
    Hmmm...my sample definitely looks a little yellowish to me compared to a more gray xtra active. Maybe my sample is just junk. Idk.
    Last edited by mervinek; 03-03-2021 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo

  12. #12
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Methinks Fully clear applies as closely as “accurate measurements.”

    B
    +1
    I bend light. That is what I do.

  13. #13
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I wonder if it will come in high index. Vantage had a release date for 1.67 announced, then it was pushed back, then it was pushed back some more, then canceled.
    That would be an important and useful difference for sure.

  14. #14
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,623
    Hopefully they don't incorporate the technology into the Transitions contact lenses. It's hard enough for me to keep up with the demand as it is!

  15. #15
    Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    69
    Does this imply that you'd get the anti reflective properties of a polarized lens, even when its clear?
    I never dispensed or talked to anybody about the Vantage. I was under the impression it was just a differently branded photo lens.

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    637
    You get the benefit of polarization, which is to reduce glare reflected toward the use from horizontal surfaces. I would not call this "anti-reflective" properties, as that really muddies the already murky optical terms used in the industry.

  17. #17
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    137
    Going to talk to an Essilor rep soon about the lens. I wonder if the polarization is as good as polarized sunglasses when in the car and it is only 45% dark?

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder AngeHamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    You get the benefit of polarization, which is to reduce glare reflected toward the use from horizontal surfaces. I would not call this "anti-reflective" properties, as that really muddies the already murky optical terms used in the industry.
    An excellent demonstration of why I absolutely refuse to use the word "glare" in describing anti-reflective lenses. Glare is for polarization, reflections are for AR.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

  19. #19
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Italy
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawman Nick View Post
    Does this imply that you'd get the anti reflective properties of a polarized lens, even when its clear?
    I never dispensed or talked to anybody about the Vantage. I was under the impression it was just a differently branded photo lens.
    No you cannot have a polarized clear lens... it is for physics law... it is not possible, the effect there is when the lens is dark

  20. #20
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    900
    The polarisation is proportional to the amount the lens is activated.... just like vantage.

  21. #21
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Italy
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Going to talk to an Essilor rep soon about the lens. I wonder if the polarization is as good as polarized sunglasses when in the car and it is only 45% dark?
    Sure no. A good sunglasses lens or Nupolar RX can have a polarization efficiency of 99%
    This product seems like Vantage is max 90% of polarization but only when very dark.

    I want try it anyway it is good have polarization on a transitions lens I hope in this new product


    EDIT:

    It seems no polarization in the car anyway
    Last edited by dima; 03-04-2021 at 03:24 PM.

  22. #22
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mitten State
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    No you cannot have a polarized clear lens... it is for physics law... it is not possible, the effect there is when the lens is dark
    Absolutely true, for a lens that is inherently polarized. An inherently polarized lens, by its very nature, will appear darker than a clear lens to human vision due to light that is not in the polarized direction not being allowed passage through the lens. A perfectly clear inherently polarized lens violates the laws of physics as we know them and is impossible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    The polarisation is proportional to the amount the lens is activated.... just like vantage.
    I find this fascinating. That the photochromic product is responsible for the polarization. So one, has, in essence, a variably polarized lens that is activated by UV light. I wonder what the threshold is for polarization to be measurable?
    Last edited by Lelarep; 03-04-2021 at 03:54 PM.

  23. #23
    Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    69
    Always thought a clear polarized was impossible, got my hopes up. Thanks gang!

  24. #24
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    Sure no. A good sunglasses lens or Nupolar RX can have a polarization efficiency of 99%
    This product seems like Vantage is max 90% of polarization but only when very dark.

    I want try it anyway it is good have polarization on a transitions lens I hope in this new product


    EDIT:

    It seems no polarization in the car anyway
    Ok, that's what I thought, won't be polarized in the car. Seems like I can sell this to people who like to fish but most of the people I help won't really benefit from this lens.

  25. #25
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    nj
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    24
    Is there still the old Vantage lens, or does the Xtractive Polarized take its place? The Vantage polarization was not very noticeable. Is this one better?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Transitions XTRActive lenses now available in BROWN from Younger Optics
    By YO Aimee in forum Younger Optics – The Optical Lens Innovators
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-02-2021, 10:48 AM
  2. Transitions XTRActive and AR
    By Neophyte Optician in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-30-2020, 06:43 PM
  3. Try new Transitions XTRActive lenses in brown for free!
    By YO Aimee in forum Younger Optics – The Optical Lens Innovators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2015, 07:52 PM
  4. 1.50 Transitions XTRActive
    By WFruit in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 01:02 PM
  5. Transitions XTRActive Availability (PAL)
    By TLG in forum Progressive Lens Discussion Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 07:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •