Good day, everyone

I just had a patient come in with her prescription looking like this:

Spectacle Prescription 1:
R: +3.00 -5.00 x11
L: +6.25 -4.50 x178

Spectacle Prescription 2:
R: +4.00 -5.00 x11
L: +7.25 -4.50 x178

without any further explanation of why this person has two prescriptions on it.
Usually doctors will write something!
like "compensated", or "computer glasses", or "reading glasses", or "with frame XYZ".....
something to explain to anyone trying to dispense why it is written that way.

I asked the patient did you ask for computer or reading glasses and she said, no.
I asked did you even discuss about computer glasses because it looks like computer glasses and she said, no.
She wasn't wearing a bifocal or progressives and she's not at the age to start either.
Like most people that walk into an optical shop, she has no idea how to even read her prescription.
So I just automatically assumed prescription 2 are computer glasses prescription the doctor kindly put in her prescription.
No biggie. I will just ask the doctor, right? Kinda sure, but I wanna be extra sure.

I call the doctor's office and....
the lady answering the phone told me they cannot tell me the prescription of any customer.

--me: Hi, I am an optician at an optical shop trying to dispense glasses for a patient that got their eye exam at this doctor's office.
---lady: Are you the person who got the exam?
--me: No I am the optician. I just got the patient's prescription and it has two prescriptions written on it, and I want to verify I am filling her the correct pair of glasses.
---lady: I can't do that, I can only disclose or discuss this matter with the customer since it's her personal information.
--me: I have the prescription, but it looks like there's two prescriptions written on it. I can tell you what the prescription says, I just need to verify with the doctor if the prescription I will be filling is the correct one.
---lady: the customer needs to call me and ask for that.
--me: The customer wouldn't know what she's supposed to be asking, she's not a professional.
---lady: UGH (and she scoffed like I was really ignorant). You know this is against the law, right? You can't call, and I can't give you that info.
--me: I have been calling numerous optometrists and no one told me that. I was able to verify prescriptions.
It's a whole different story if I just plain out ask for a patient's prescription, but I'm trying to verify informa.....
---lady: (cuts me off) It's illegal. Other optometrists were doing it wrong. Customer can call herself and find out which one she needs.

and I was hung up by her just like that.

I am now very confused.
Is it really illegal for opticians to call doctor's offices to verify a prescription?
Was I doing it wrong the whole time?
All this time, I thought the protocol was, send the patient to go about their way and don't eat up their time- and then call doctor's office if needed.
It's not like an everyday occurrence to call a doctor's office to verify.
If I knew this was illegal, I would make the patient stay and have them on the phone with me while I ask.
I was so sure I was right, but after hearing how firm she felt her opinion was right, I am confused.
Is this true..?