Thread: Need P3 style frame with Cable Temples. Any suggestions?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need P3 style frame with Cable Temples. Any suggestions?

So I have a customer who wants a round-ish frame with cable temples. I'm finding these harder and harder to come by... Figure I'll check Art-Craft but open to suggestions. Randolph did a P3 with cables but I'm pretty sure last time I checked they had ended the availability of the cables.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    There are kits ( I think HILCO has one) that allows you to convert temples to cable. There is also a LaramyK video about that

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    https://youtu.be/8SKNN7jEDmU

Yeah, John is the best!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shuron still makes the Ronstrong with cable temples. Not as good as they used to be, and they sell directly to the public, but fits the bill.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not interested in the cable conversion. I've not tried one but just don't trust it for long term reliability.

Just checked Art-craft and they have one that fits the bill pretty well and I think the customer will like it. Probably going to go that route.

Appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Not interested in the cable conversion. I've not tried one but just don't trust it for long term reliability.

Just checked Art-craft and they have one that fits the bill pretty well and I think the customer will like it. Probably going to go that route.

Appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.
    Beware of Art Craft! I've sold a couple and the quality you will see is really lacking. Adjusting the pads can also be challenging. The soldering is bad and the pad arm can break much more easily than it should. (The 3rd front I ordered was a charm.)

Be prepared for green to appear on the temples after a year and the cable to break with out great care bending it when putting them on or off.

I've converted a few dozen pairs with Hilco's conversion kit. Try to use a frame with the same round core. I do not glue them and as long as I can get the cable tip about 6 or 8mm in they will not come out and allow greater flexibility for the patient putting them on and taking them off.

Safilo frames tend to fit these well. I mark the standard temple with a sharpie on the forward part of the ear. It tends to be a lot closer to the front than you would feel comfortable trimming but this is what works for me. No glue and you can error on the long side and adjust shorter accordingly.

Watch the video.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-22-2021 at 11:18 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

I've converting a few dozen pairs with Hilco's conversion kit. Try to use a frame with the same round core. I do not glue them and as long as I can get the cable tip about 6 or 8mm in they will not come out and allow greater flexibility for the patient putting them on and taking them off.
    +1 I've used this kit successfully many times. Although I haven't done it in a while, flexon frames used to be good. You have to watch the temples now. Not all have the thin metal core that you would need. And I hate using glue and agree with Fester that it isn't always needed.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Beware of Art Craft! I've sold a couple and the quality you will see is really lacking. Adjusting the pads can also be challenging. The soldering is bad and the pad arm can break much more easily than it should. (The 3rd front I ordered was a charm.)

Be prepared for green to appear on the temples after a year and the cable to break with out great care bending it when putting them on or off.

I've converting a few dozen pairs with Hilco's conversion kit. Try to use a frame with the same round core. I do not glue them and as long as I can get the cable tip about 6 or 8mm in they will not come out and allow greater flexibility for the patient putting them on and taking them off.

Safilo frames tend to fit these well. I mark the standard temple with a sharpie on the forward part of the ear. It tends to be a lot closer to the front than you would feel comfortable trimming but this is what works for me. No glue and you can error on the long side and adjust shorter accordingly.

Watch the video.
    Wow, thanks for the warning. I've never had problems with Art Craft, has the quality gone to crap all of the sudden? I definitely do like the idea of using a Safilo frame.

I started the video but the opening was so extraneous I gave up... Guess I'll attempt another try.

Thread Information