Thread: Who here has dispensed Shamir duo or other digital BF's? What is the feedback?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who here has dispensed Shamir duo or other digital BF's? What is the feedback?

I fit a single vision digital aspheric lens (Eyezen Start) and he was super impressed with the level of clarity he was seeing with it. He called back the next day and wanted the same experience but with reading added. He has tried high end progressives before and has not had a lot of success with them.

He is a +5.00 in both eyes with around a diopter of cyl and a +2.50 add.

I was reading about the Shamir duo but I have never dispensed one before.

https://www.2020mag.com/nysso/ce/les...od-looks-comes

Any other recommendations?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I too had no experience with the Duo until a few days ago when a mom had her 10 year old in with a high minus script and a +1.00 add.

Thinking here's a chance to move the kid into a Unity Relax (VSP) w/ Tech Shield I did.

Unbeknownst to me they had bought a cheap FT28 over the internet and of course it blew up on me as the reading was no where near the same.

Not wanting to refund I switched her to Shamir Duo and successfully dispensed them last week.

Cost the office $5 but better than a $60 refund (they still would have had an AR charge)!

They looked great as well. They work like a blended bifocal.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-10-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ten year old with high minus prescription and +1.00 add. <----shakes his dang head.

Reading nowhere the same as online FT28 <----shakes his dang head.

First, the prescriber is throwing crap against the wall. Probably because the kid is young and is a high minus, and then does a useless +1.00 add for myopia prevention?
    Or, the kid went up a diopter and the doc wanted to blunt the adaptation effect by giving a +1.00?

And then mom buys internet glasses for this kid, and segmented?

What a **** storm.

The add wasn't even necessary in the first place. And to have to remake a lens because it wasn't as good as a piece of internet junk would infuriate me. I would have cut them loose right then and there.
    Last edited by drk; 02-10-2021 at 10:58 AM.

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Maybe the kid had a convergence excess or computer vision syndrome form excessive near work and the ad for for comfort and not myopia control?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oh, so that's what you were thinking when you prescribed it. Sorry, Mike.
    Last edited by drk; 02-10-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    HAHAHA.

"Let's get ready to rumble" on Optiboard!
    1. I guess CE is a possible diagnosis. CE with myopia I guess exists.
    2. Computer vision syndrome is marketspeak gobbledy gook. Accommodative fatigue? Accommodative insufficiency?
    3. If these kids' computers are tablets (some are) or laptops (some are) or handhelds and not desktops, I guess putting an add in the bottom of the lens would help.
    4. Most if not all moderate and above myopes in my experience have little or no nearpoint symptoms, ever.
    5. With all the kids gaming like crazypeople over the past year, and with all the newfound ZOOM University students, I would have expected to have a lot more accommodative problems over the past year. Nope.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For VSP the Shamir Duo billing codes are:
    BA
    BD
    BV
    QV
    TA

Because everyone should be upgraded.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-10-2021 at 06:55 PM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I too had no experience with the Duo until a few days ago when a mom had her 10 year old in with a high minus script and a +1.00 add.

Thinking here's a chance to move the kid into a Unity Relax (VSP) w/ Tech Shield I did.

Unbeknownst to me they had bought a cheap FT28 over the internet and of course it blew up on me as the reading was no where near the same.

Not wanting to refund I switched her to Shamir Duo and successfully dispensed them last week.

Cost the office $5 but better than a $60 refund (they still would have had an AR charge)!

They looked great as well. They work like a blended bifocal.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Yeah I've dispensed maybe 5 blended bifocals in the past 12 years, only to people who have had them before. I think I will try it with the next long time bifocal wearer I work with and get their feedback.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Ten year old with high minus prescription and +1.00 add. <----shakes his dang head.

Reading nowhere the same as online FT28 <----shakes his dang head.

First, the prescriber is throwing crap against the wall. Probably because the kid is young and is a high minus, and then does a useless +1.00 add for myopia prevention?
    Or, the kid went up a diopter and the doc wanted to blunt the adaptation effect by giving a +1.00?

And then mom buys internet glasses for this kid, and segmented?

What a **** storm.

The add wasn't even necessary in the first place. And to have to remake a lens because it wasn't as good as a piece of internet junk would infuriate me. I would have cut them loose right then and there.

Slow clap!!!! Dispensed several Eyezen lens due to this "issue" and patients noticed no difference, except the price increase, of course!
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    Slow clap!!!! Dispensed several Eyezen lens due to this "issue" and patients noticed no difference, except the price increase, of course!
    They haven't noticed a sharpness going to a digital lens? Or are you talking about the accomodative bumps? I've had several patients I've put in digital aspheric lenses that absolutely love them. We just don't make as much on them obviously because we can't make them in house.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    They haven't noticed a sharpness going to a digital lens? Or are you talking about the accomodative bumps? I've had several patients I've put in digital aspheric lenses that absolutely love them. We just don't make as much on them obviously because we can't make them in house.
    Simply that they really couldn't tell a difference, was expecting more due to the price difference, etc. They liked the blue filter, so they usually went back to regular with Previncia or Saphire 360 coating
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical Roy View Post
    Simply that they really couldn't tell a difference, was expecting more due to the price difference, etc. They liked the blue filter, so they usually went back to regular with Previncia or Saphire 360 coating
    I would imagine the change experienced would be correlated to how big of a Rx they have. The +5.00 pt I had thought I was a magician when he put on his eyezen start lenses, he was seeing much better.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I've worn most versions of the anti-fatigue designs- EyeZen, Sync, Acomoda, and the Essilor Anti-Fatigue pucks made for conventional surfacing. They are great for certain applications but not ideal for all the time wear if given the option. I've thought of both these and the Shamir Duo as progressive training wheels and have successfully dispensed them as such. They are also a great option for youngsters who are intimidated to wear a line when needing temporary bifocals- and even though I've never used them for such, also a good option to keep in mind for pregnant ladies.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information