Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Coat Crazing?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    I’ve seen more hard coats break down lately due to cleaning with harsh chemicals. All because of COVID!
    I'm seeing a lot of people trying to use alcohol to clean glasses and getting hand sanitizer on them. I usually do a lot of Trivex, but have bumped that up and warn everyone to make sure your hands are dry before handling your glasses. Acetate frames are getting messed up and poly lenses are cracking. I have definitely seen a lot more damage than pre-covid. I find that education is best. Just educate your patients and for most of them that helps. That being said, there will always be a few where nothing helps. HA!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As stated by others here the UV lamp, RMPs, cycle times are critical factors. They should be checked on a regular basis. Cross hatch and haze test are also “good practices”. Yet further up stream are consumables that for all the “right” reasons get pushed past their limit. Lens polish needs to be replaced at some point. A good polish is the start of good adhesion. Coatings need to be replaced (not added to) at some point. UV lamps have a predetermined life, and they can fail prior end of life. Therefore, a cross hatch test is invaluable from a QC standpoint.

I used to back off the vendors claims of yield by 10 percent and call that my best practices methods. As an example, many of you edge your own lenses and push your blades to their very maximum. This can save a few pennies but is a bad hedge against a $100.00 pair of Uncuts twisting in the edger.

From the picture shown I am almost sure this is a lab created problem stemming from not adhering to the exacting science in back side coating and using the best consumables available.

Thread Information