Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High minus flat lens causing temple splay.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't neglect the frame material in this conversation. The Ray-Ban New Wayfarer, in particular, will not mold to fit high or low base curves at all. Make sure you're not putting a patient with a -7.00 RX in a frame that simply can't accommodate anything above a -2.50. Broken record time: ​Manage your patient's expectations.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's it: ophthalmic frames for all Rx sunwork!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    MEI can be programmed to varying angled bevels, step bevels, inclined bevels, or a combination of the above. Hilco C2s are T-bevels with a step back. WileyX are V bevels with a step back. Some suns are Ts of varying widths, some with step backs, some without.

Enable Z data on your tracers, and even the 7EX becomes better. Your Santinelli, Weco/Briot, mr Blue, etc become smarter. But their abilities are still reliant upon the operator.
    Yes, I understand all of this. Drk is asking for directions to the grocery store and is being given directions to the Porsche dealer to get the to grocery store in record time. I obviously didn't say I could do anything on a hand stone that an MEI edger can do, that would be ridiculous. But in the case presented, anyone with sufficient time on a hand stone can.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I know this is a bit far afield, but why oh why can't some frame manufacturer make a line of sunframes that are designed with Rx lenses in mind.

The collection needn't be humongous.

Because $$$$$$$. It cost them pennies to mass product mold injected frames, and they don't care about putting and Rx in them. The companies that do Rx their own frames have such a laughably small Rx range because they aren't optical companies, just sunglass manufacturers.

They could design them slightly better for Rx work, but ultimately the lenses are going to come in so many different curves and geometries due to the Rx that it would be impossible to design. Which Rxs should they design for? The best fit and finish needs to be done by a skilled optician with capable equipment. That means compensated lenses on base curves that match or get close to the frame selected. That means selecting frames with a patents Rx in mind. That means not selling frames that can't be adjusted because they are made of mystery plastic. That means, as others have suggested, having the right equipment for the frames and lenses being processed for best results. A skilled optician still has some life left in their career before AI takes over.

I would kill for a frame line of 6-8 base suns that had real hinges and were adjustable. Pre-Essilor Costa del Mar frames were like this. I don't know of any now. The majority of the suns I sell now are just ophthalmic frames that I cut demo sunlenses for.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    LOLZ "mystery plastic".

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Yes, I understand all of this. Drk is asking for directions to the grocery store and is being given directions to the Porsche dealer to get the to grocery store in record time. I obviously didn't say I could do anything on a hand stone that an MEI edger can do, that would be ridiculous. But in the case presented, anyone with sufficient time on a hand stone can.
    MEI isn’t for small dispensaries. ROI would require 80+ jobs per day over 5 years.

7EX, Briot or a Lexce is. My point? Enable the Z on your tracer, understand your edger capabilities, and know your frames. No need to massage the lens after the fact, if you can set your edger to do it. If you have a 6e, 7e, or 7EX, do yourself a favor and get a 5 degree arbor, or even a multi cutter arbor.

The Lexce has multiple settings, including mini bevel and custom bevel. This is my choice for a wet edger. Great for AR, drills, custom jobs, at an affordable price point.

Briot/Weco, depending on the model, have multiple bevel options, as well.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    MEI can be programmed to varying angled bevels, step bevels, inclined bevels, or a combination of the above. Hilco C2s are T-bevels with a step back. WileyX are V bevels with a step back. Some suns are Ts of varying widths, some with step backs, some without.

Enable Z data on your tracers, and even the 7EX becomes better. Your Santinelli, Weco/Briot, mr Blue, etc become smarter. But their abilities are still reliant upon the operator.
    I agree 100% with you Lensmanmd but often it depends also from....time...

By hand or with better equipment we use our time and skills....we can't sell a service for this special frame for 1 dollar.... and not all the opticial understand it. .this is not a cr39 lens in a standard flat rayban.. frame...

Also some wayfare style have a lot of panto tilt so are pretty undesiderable for opthalmic...even if you can cut the lens perfectly.
    Last edited by dima; 02-11-2021 at 05:52 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I know this is a bit far afield, but why oh why can't some frame manufacturer make a line of sunframes that are designed with Rx lenses in mind.

The collection needn't be humongous.
    they do not care! they have art and style in mind...and I can understand it.. they want sell that frame... rx was an optician problem.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Probably very true.

Thread Information