Thread: Stock Lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Stock Lenses

Hello, I work at a small private eye care practice and my employer has requested that I look into some ways of expanding our stock lens inventory. Right now we have SV Poly and CR-39 with no AR. I am to research the possibility of adding stock blanks with AR (standard and blue blocker) and possibly some high-index. One utility of this that was mentioned was the ability to quickly make affordable blue-blocker glasses to try to participate in that market. In your experience is it worth it to build an inventory of this kind? If so, what are some good suppliers?
    Thank you for your time!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I would highly suggest Vision Ease for poly clear and poly AR as well as high index with AR. They offer a material based blue-light filter in those materials plus CR-39, with and without AR but not a blue light coating. For CR-39, we use Hoya but don't like dealing with warranties through them, whereas VE is very easy to work with. Very competitive pricing.

For blue light coating, we use Hoya for warrantied options (Recharge), and Shore for non-warrantied.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like utilizing Zeiss stock lens program, and they ship overnight so you dont need to keep a large inventory of different lens materials/coatings. They also sell plano duravision blue protect lenses cheaper than RX ones if you feel like making some custom plano blue light lenses. You can also order their lenses thru WVA buying group, which does not charge any admin fees.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try looking into the Somo line of stock lenses available through ABB. Quite affordable and very decent quality. Many materials and coating options.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Look at Nassau. The Synergy Crystal AR compares very favorably with mid-level Crizal and TechShield coatings at a fraction of the price. Even their lowest-end Lighten Up Sentinel AR hugely outperforms Somo coatings for durability and cleanability. I'm in love with Nassau's stock lenses.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Look at Nassau. The Synergy Crystal AR compares very favorably with mid-level Crizal and TechShield coatings at a fraction of the price. Even their lowest-end Lighten Up Sentinel AR hugely outperforms Somo coatings for durability and cleanability. I'm in love with Nassau's stock lenses.
    +1

The only draw back is that you have to use a non-slip film with the lighten up sentinel AR when edging them because it has slipped on me before. But we have been using them for our low end package and the AR has held up incredibly well.

Nassau is affordable and ships next day, should definitely consider checking them out.

Thread Information