Thread: Zeiss Precision Plus. Is this lens still available?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zeiss Precision Plus. Is this lens still available?

Trying to order through VSP and it’s not in the drop down.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaketull View Post
    Trying to order through VSP and it’s not in the drop down.
    Try looking for Smartlite

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It is available as the SmartLife Plus now.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nice of Zeiss to rename all of their lenses four years ago, then do it all again now.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any quick reference chart available for these changes?

Essilor and Shamir as well?

My topper on frequent changes is a number of years ago the area codes in greater Boston underwent changes as mobile and fax requests were chewing up available numbers. In only 3 or 4 years we had our area code change 4 times! as new zones were carved out! But then again I remember as a kid the first 2 digits of a 7 digit phone number were letters. In my families case it was PA9-xxxx or Parkview 9-xxxx.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For a company that makes such superlative lenses, Zeiss sure does a crappy job at selling them and supporting the people who dispense them.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    For a company that makes such superlative lenses, Zeiss sure does a crappy job at selling them and supporting the people who dispense them.
    +1. No one could give me a straight answer when I asked about the minimum fitting heights on the Smartlife Plus S, M, or L, they just said it was the same as the precision plus, which came in 4 fitting heights....

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Nice of Zeiss to rename all of their lenses four years ago, then do it all again now.
    It was not just a renaming of product. The SmartLife portfolio includes two free form SV, a Digital Lens(low add powers ranging from 0.50 - 1.25) and four progressives, which have the same name(Individual, Superb, Plus and Pure). SmartLife is an optimization and design change that allows for a globally smooth lens while also keeping features that were in the Precision Portfolio, which leads to reduced blur levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    +1. No one could give me a straight answer when I asked about the minimum fitting heights on the Smartlife Plus S, M, or L, they just said it was the same as the precision plus, which came in 4 fitting heights....
    The SmartLife Plus is a variable corridor progressive.
    The SmartLife Pure comes in three fitting height options, S(14mm), M(16mm) and L(18 mm). The S is a short corridor, M is a medium corridor and the L is a long or standard corridor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    It was not just a renaming of product. The SmartLife portfolio includes two free form SV...
    Two? I've only read about the "SmartLife Individual SV". What is the other one?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It was not just a renaming of product. The SmartLife portfolio includes two free form SV, a Digital Lens(low add powers ranging from 0.50 - 1.25) and four progressives, which have the same name(Individual, Superb, Plus and Pure). SmartLife is an optimization and design change that allows for a globally smooth lens while also keeping features that were in the Precision Portfolio, which leads to reduced blur levels.
    Okay. I get that. But Zeiss changing their entire progressive lens portfolio twice in five years is not better than just renaming existing designs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    As far as I can find, this is Zeiss's current clear, single vision lens selection, not including coatings, etc...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SingleVision.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	14822

It only mentions one SmartLife SV. If there is another one, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Okay. I get that. But Zeiss changing their entire progressive lens portfolio twice in five years is not better than just renaming existing designs.
    Apparently there is some optimizations to this lens, according to the "Smartlife Single Vision" treatise by Zeiss:

Name:	optimization.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	14824

If they actually have indeed managed to reduce the marginal astigmatism to such a small error, I am rather impressed. This has been a serious issue for a long time. Of course, I expect, they exaggerate the benefit to a significant extent. I'd be interested in a journal article or white paper that examines the reduction in marginal astigmatism with this new design in real world applications.
    Last edited by Lelarep; 01-15-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    As far as I can find, this is Zeiss's current clear, single vision lens selection, not including coatings, etc...

Name:	SingleVision.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	14822

It only mentions one SmartLife SV. If there is another one, I would be interested in hearing about it.
    The SmartLife Single Vision compensates for default PoW only where the SmartLife Individual Single Vision allows you to choose the PoW if you can and want to, but you are not required to.

Apparently there is some optimizations to this lens, according to the "Smartlife Single Vision" treatise by Zeiss:

Name:	optimization.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	14824

If they actually have indeed managed to reduce the marginal astigmatism to such a small error, I am rather impressed. This has been a serious issue for a long time. Of course, I expect, they exaggerate the benefit to a significant extent. I'd be interested in a journal article or white paper that examines the reduction in marginal astigmatism with this new design in real world applications.
    Single Vision free form lenses were designed with the distant object and never considered near objects. When you engage at a near activity aberrations occur. If you consider Tscherning’s Ellipse where in order to receive a point focal lens the base curve needs to be changed for every component(i.e. object distance, material, thickness, vertex, center of rotation, etc). In the past we have made lenses to consider these variables, but we only considered 6 meters(distance). The SmartLife Single Vision or SmartLife Individual Single Vision considers not only distance objects, but a 30 cm object distance for near as research shows that single vision wearers hold digital devices at 30 cm.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The SmartLife Plus is a variable corridor progressive.
    The SmartLife Pure comes in three fitting height options, S(14mm), M(16mm) and L(18 mm). The S is a short corridor, M is a medium corridor and the L is a long or standard corridor.
    Do you still work for Zeiss? How do you deal with all of the complaints? Zeiss is is literally one of my least favorite companies and I deal with them as little as possible.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Do you still work for Zeiss? How do you deal with all of the complaints? Zeiss is is literally one of my least favorite companies and I deal with them as little as possible.
    I think they make the best lenses in the world. Literally the best. But everything else about the company in the US is a train wreck crashing into a dumpster full of diapers on fire. Two massive rebranding/new product roll outs in five years is ridiculous. Every rep they hire in our area has a strong sales background but no optical knowledge whatsoever, so when we need support in understanding the new lens portfolios they don't have the knowledge base to answer any questions. How are you gonna roll out a new array of lenses and not equip your territory with someone with technical expertise to help your clients succeed? I'm not comfortable dispensing lenses when most of my knowledge about them comes from a Google search. And I have no confidence that these new designs are even going to exist in five years.

(I'm a little bitter because I interviewed for Zeiss territory rep jobs three times and never even got a "Thanks, but no thanks" email. But the point is still solid.)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know there are some good lens companies out there, but Zeiss has to be in the top 3.

Yes, herr Germans don't think like the Frenchies or the hipster Israelis (and I don't know how the Seikos/Hoyas interact) but once you get through to their mindset, it makes more sense.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think they make the best lenses in the world. Literally the best. But everything else about the company in the US is a train wreck crashing into a dumpster full of diapers on fire. Two massive rebranding/new product roll outs in five years is ridiculous. Every rep they hire in our area has a strong sales background but no optical knowledge whatsoever, so when we need support in understanding the new lens portfolios they don't have the knowledge base to answer any questions. How are you gonna roll out a new array of lenses and not equip your territory with someone with technical expertise to help your clients succeed? I'm not comfortable dispensing lenses when most of my knowledge about them comes from a Google search. And I have no confidence that these new designs are even going to exist in five years.

(I'm a little bitter because I interviewed for Zeiss territory rep jobs three times and never even got a "Thanks, but no thanks" email. But the point is still solid.)
    I had to teach my rep about basic optical things. It was ridiculous. She’d come into the office with and just basically tell us to sell Zeiss but couldn’t give us reasons why their lenses were better. I had to pretty much ban her and only have her come when asked.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    My reps great. Tough noogies, losers...hahahahaha

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had to teach my rep about basic optical things. It was ridiculous. She’d come into the office with and just basically tell us to sell Zeiss but couldn’t give us reasons why their lenses were better. I had to pretty much ban her and only have her come when asked.
    That's infuriating.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of my main complaints is that they no longer offer transitions as an option for their progressives and they have not come up with a comparable product to transitions xtractive that is specifically marketed to get dark behind a windshield. I know photofusion extra grey exists but it is not the same to my knowledge. I also think the transitions are a nicer grey and brown vs photofusion.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    One of my main complaints is that they no longer offer transitions as an option for their progressives and they have not come up with a comparable product to transitions xtractive that is specifically marketed to get dark behind a windshield. I know photofusion extra grey exists but it is not the same to my knowledge. I also think the transitions are a nicer grey and brown vs photofusion.
    I find PhotoFusion Grey to be very purple compared to Transitions or SunSync.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 01-21-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We have samples.

Photofusion gray extra does get pretty dark, and the regular gray is pretty true gray, but a little blue-ish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photofusion.jpg   IMG_0025.jpg  

Thread Information