Thread: biodegradable eyeglass cases

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

biodegradable eyeglass cases

Anyone here concerned about all the eyeglass cases in landfills?
    think about it for a moment. Half the world wears glasses, where are all those old cases going? Answer; landfills.
    What can we as an industry do to eliminate waste that contributes to landfills? I feel our industry is guilty of huge waste. Look at all the Styrofoam used to package frame displays, all the plastic lenses thrown away. What are you personally doing? I've started dispensing fabric cases, (unless they come with designer frames). I'd love for opticians to unite to curve waste. Thoughts?

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good topic. We buy hard cases by the hundreds and if you don’t go through them quick enough the glue dries and the inside lining pops up. Then we have frames that come with cases (which sometimes aren’t properly sized for the frames). I would guess that 30%-40% of customers actually use their cases. I would certainly consider a biodegradable or recycled option. Sorry that I don’t have any solutions but maybe offer a $5 discount if the customer chooses not to get a case with purchase? Happy New Year!

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you ever considered how much micro plastic ends up in wastewater systems from edging lenses alone? Makes eyeglass cases seem like a non-issue.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    As a former surfacing lab manager, this has always been a bother for me. Seeing that puck go in and come out as a flat disc and knowing how much material is 'wasted' is something I wish I would find a solution for.

With all the advancements of 3D printing, I wonder if someday we will be able to mold a lens in its finished form for multifocals and other more complex options outside of current stock ordering options. This would do wonders in terms of reducing waste but has its obvious hurdles.

That being said- cases are a much easier route to tackle to at least get people thinking about it. Corn cases. That's what we need.

https://www.etsy.com/market/eco_glasses_case

I did find this, which highlights cork and wood, but as someone who has seen how versatile plastic alternatives made from corn are, I'm betting that would be the better mass market option.

Also found this- ready for mass marketing though probably fairly pricey in comparison.
    https://www.fedongroup.com/en/news-e...stainable.html
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    As a former surfacing lab manager, this has always been a bother for me. Seeing that puck go in and come out as a flat disc and knowing how much material is 'wasted' is something I wish I would find a solution for.

With all the advancements of 3D printing, I wonder if someday we will be able to mold a lens in its finished form for multifocals and other more complex options outside of current stock ordering options. This would do wonders in terms of reducing waste but has its obvious hurdles.

That being said- cases are a much easier route to tackle to at least get people thinking about it. Corn cases. That's what we need.

I did find this, which highlights cork and wood, but as someone who has seen how versatile plastic alternatives made from corn are, I'm betting that would be the better mass market option.

Also found this- ready for mass marketing though probably fairly pricey in comparison.
    Here in the Rogue Valley of Southern Oregon just about every acre of land that is not a pear orchard or vineyard is growing industrial hemp. I do believe that hemp would be the ideal material for eyewear cases. When you no longer need the case you could smoke it rather than tossing it out to besmirch the environment.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    Have you ever considered how much micro plastic ends up in wastewater systems from edging lenses alone? Makes eyeglass cases seem like a non-issue.
    +1

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably not a problem in my part of the state. After all those years, I figure I got the bulk of it in my lungs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Here in the Rogue Valley of Southern Oregon just about every acre of land that is not a pear orchard or vineyard is growing industrial hemp. I do believe that hemp would be the ideal material for eyewear cases. When you no longer need the case you could smoke it rather than tossing it out to besmirch the environment.
    Best answer so far. You win.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every part of it's an issue. It's big.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I agree, we opticians can start with the cases, that's why I brought it up. I am now going to buy only fabric cases, gotta start somewhere.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Excel-Lentes View Post
    Good topic. We buy hard cases by the hundreds and if you don’t go through them quick enough the glue dries and the inside lining pops up. Then we have frames that come with cases (which sometimes aren’t properly sized for the frames). I would guess that 30%-40% of customers actually use their cases. I would certainly consider a biodegradable or recycled option. Sorry that I don’t have any solutions but maybe offer a $5 discount if the customer chooses not to get a case with purchase? Happy New Year!
    good thoughts

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    I agree, we opticians can start with the cases, that's why I brought it up. I am now going to buy only fabric cases, gotta start somewhere.
    Even microfibers from synthetic fabrics are significant environmental pollutants found in almost every nook and cranny on the planet. Metric tons of the stuff falls from the sky every year and we all end up consuming it either in food or air.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

I thought about this and agree it could be a great venture in our new marijuana friendly states. Hemp is a different strain of plant so unfortunately there wouldn't be any alternative use once it's served it purpose, but I like the implication nonetheless!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought about this and agree it could be a great venture in our new marijuana friendly states. Hemp is a different strain of plant so unfortunately there wouldn't be any alternative use once it's served it purpose, but I like the implication nonetheless!
    I love the idea!

Thread Information