Thread: Dispensing without a Licensed Optician

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dispensing without a Licensed Optician

Hello! I recently started a new job at a chain store optical( with independent optometrist). I was informed today that employees can “ “ hand” patients glasses without an optician on the premises.. as long as the glasses are not “ adjusted”...but an optician had to be on the premises when frames/ lenses are being sold. I was informed that “ all” opticians do it? I have work with a private optometrist for the last twenty one years...so is this “norm” for chain opticals? I have been Licensed for almost thirty years . I am very confused.. Please help

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Licensure is in a very sad, silly state. What a clown show.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I come from an unlicensed state, so most dispensing opticians are not licensed. I'm guessing the details on how this works is probably poorly worded and this is the offices interpretation of the law. If you have real concerns about this procedure, you should be able to contact your local licensing office or check out your state's government page. Good luck.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, state law may not care one way or the other about licensed opticians, but your company's policy may indicate otherwise. And if policy does say "need a licensed optician on-site", whelp, that is what it is, state laws no longer factor in

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In California the highest license trumps the lower ones so an optometrist can work under an MD as long as they are on the premises, in which case they don't even have to be licensed; likewise opticians can work under an OD or MD and not be licensed. I, for instance, am ABO-AC certified, but not licensed and don't need to be unless I want to go out on my own. I work for an MD and fall under his umbrella. Does that mean an MD can hire an unlicensed OD to see patients? Technically, they can see the patients at the capacity of a technician but the MD has to sign off on the chart and assumes full responsibility for care.
    Opticianry needs to unite and demand universal education and certification. Until that happens we will continued to be undervalued and under paid. When I covered OptiCon in Florida for Vision Monday in 2017, the board talked about unification during meetings. I'm not sure what happened to the movement.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Start over. Get rid of all existing boards. Replace all board members or directors with professional leadership charged with a mandate to accomplish and enforce licensure. Choose directors on their proven ability to accomplish the job they are tasked with. Start with a clean slate of achievers who are proven “ get results action people “ , then motivate them to succeed and fire them if they don’t. It’s a business not a talk show.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the absence of coordinated, national optician licensure, the path forward is clear:

1. Recognize the best/most important parts of legacy opticianry teaching
    2. Recognize the areas, such as proper training in style for one, that require personal homework/woodshedding/commitment in order to acquire the skills necessary
    3. Devote far more time and effort in learning all about repairs, including spring hinge repairs, laser welding, acetate frame repair, etc. With the increase seen in overall eyewear sales, no matter where they were purchased, eyeglass and sunglasses will require repair and adjustment.

Three simple sign posts. Good to know.

These will increase your value in today’s optical world far more than any licensure or testing.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    In California the highest license trumps the lower ones so an optometrist can work under an MD as long as they are on the premises, in which case they don't even have to be licensed; likewise opticians can work under an OD or MD and not be licensed. I, for instance, am ABO-AC certified, but not licensed and don't need to be unless I want to go out on my own. I work for an MD and fall under his umbrella. Does that mean an MD can hire an unlicensed OD to see patients? Technically, they can see the patients at the capacity of a technician but the MD has to sign off on the chart and assumes full responsibility for care.
    Opticianry needs to unite and demand universal education and certification. Until that happens we will continued to be undervalued and under paid. When I covered OptiCon in Florida for Vision Monday in 2017, the board talked about unification during meetings. I'm not sure what happened to the movement.
    This is good information to know. I currently work in an unlicensed state and want to eventually move to a licensed state (FL). I do not want to go through the process to be licensed giving my age. Good to know I might still be able to find work.

Thread Information